[LargeFormat] Rapax shutter CLA

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 26 21:50:02 2001

Call me a mugwump, compartmentalist or fence sitter, but I've done both.
For my architectural high pay work, that won't allow the use of 8x10
contact prints, hey give me Hassy with T*, or in the new millenium, an
arc with a digi back and an APO whatever. I can get the work done in 1/3
the time and the client will love it, scan it, print it and hang it. the
Colors will be zippy and people will go wow. The pics go into my book.

Then there's the personal side where I can get contemplative, not have
to worry about an AD breathing over my neck and wondering if the shot
will fit in his life scheme, or if there's the right fung shway.  I go
play with any number of formats from 5x7 to 8x10 and old lenses from
meniscus to Dagors, most are barrel and even some zone plates (now
THERE'S soft focus for you Clive!) and I never take a meter.

I tank develop (still process) and contact print. The pics go on the
wall. Nothing bigger than an 8x10. This way I won't run out of wall
space for a long time.

It's the same psychological effect of a Wall Street yuppie going on an
Outward Bound trip.--throw away the rules.

A friend, who used to work for Zeiss, and has both old and new glass
showed me an interesting phenomenon.  Using a microscope on the aerial
image, we chucked some MC glass in a Deardorff and focused on infinity,
then we chucked a 14" comm ektar.  With the MC glass you could see the
black mail box a few miles away was distinctly visable. With the Comm
Ektar, the edges of the box were noticably softer, but you could read
the name on the side.

Les