[LargeFormat] 5x7 Linhof Technika IV

Douglas Cooper largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 26 17:56:03 2001

I posted this some time ago, but I don't think it ever reached the list.

Could people tell me a bit about the Linhof Technika IV in 5x7?

I know the smaller Technika IV's are highly regarded, but this seems kind of
massive for a technical camera, and heavy (11 lbs, I believe) -- do you
think it defeats the purpose of a Linhof?  (As opposed to, say, a Canham or
a Phillips or the like, which are truly portable.)  The cams are probably
hard to find, or have machined, but I doubt I'd be using this as a
rangefinder camera, so that's moot.  It's more a question of whether this
would be a good camera for the road, or is it going to be stuck in a studio
(in which case, I'd probably be better off with a monorail, no?)

Anyone have experience with this beast?  I've been offered one in trade --
I'd be putting about $1500 worth of equipment into the body alone -- and I
don't know whether to take it.  It's in good shape, I'm told, in black
leather with original case, but I haven't seen it yet.

thanks,

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com