[LargeFormat] Why Large Format?

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jan 25 23:54:00 2001

This list is strangely quiet.  I wonder what is happening.

So let me take this occasion to raising the question that has been on my
mind for several months now, actually more or less since I joined the
group.

Why Large Format?

Outside, it's winter here and nothing in this subfreezing weather
entices me to take out my old LF gear or even the newly acquired
pieces.  LF is just too cumbersome for me in the snow and I'm not really
set up to do portrait or still-life in my workspace at home.

Of course I ask the question "Why Large Format?" outside of the context
of commercial assignments requiring the use of LF, which may be the
largest part of your work with large format and which I am not involved
in.

As for me, I often wonder why I'm attracted to large format
photography.  There is nothing simple in the world of LF.  The equipment
is cumbersome, shooting requires a lot of careful advance planning, the
world is upside down on the focusing screen, there is no depth-of-field
outside the complexities of Schlempflung, and the list can go on and on
(not to mention the shear cost of equipement and film).

Yet, there is a unique beauty to LF prints. I saw the work of two LF
photographers using 11x14 format on the walls of galleries and I just
could'nt resist.  I had to get into that field.  But I can't claim that
any of my LF prints have made it to a point where I feel I've
succeeded.  And all my equipment is just statched away for the winter.
Sad...

So then, ladies and gentlemen, here is the question:

Why Large Format?

Thanks in advance for your replies (hoping that this is not a topic that
was beaten to death prior to my joining the group last fall...).

Best,

Guy Glorieux
(in hibernating state in Montreal, Canada)