[LargeFormat] Re: sunny16

Ken Kagawa largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 10 17:49:43 2001

The "Sunny16" rule gives you the same correct exposure as would an incident
meter reading of direct sunlight.
You need to compensate with  snow because its brightness is beyond the
latitude of film, especially for tranparency.The reading is correct but the
film isnt able too record the entire contrast range.Meaning stop down or it
will be too white.(assuming that you want the snow correctly rendered)
Yes compensation is totally different with a reflected meter reading because
then you are adjusting for the meters error (and would compensate by opening
up).
KenK

>However If I were to meter that with a HANDHELD REFLECTIVE METER
I would
most certainly OPEN UP TWO STOPS OR EVEN MORE since the meter
wants to
turn the white snow into a grey card.

at the very least, I pity the guy that has to print your
snowscapes.

Les

Don Feinberg wrote:

>No, no!  Bright sand or snow -- f/11 at 1/ISO  !!
>
>Don Feinberg

> > > No, this isn't so.
> > >
> > > The "Sunny f/16" rule is "f/16 at 1/ISO"   According to
Kodak, you use