[Jacob-list] can of worms

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 2 11:26:33 EDT 2006

I was told (at a workshop with Dr. Martin, U.C. Davis) that breeding
is triggered by the changing of the seasons and that Jacobs breed
when there is less than 14 hours of daylight and stop cycling when
they are pregnant and/or there is more than 12 hours of daylight. So
that is going to vary according to your latitude. Here, we hit 14
hours of daylight the last couple days of August. The earliest I've
had lambs born was January 29th. Leaving a ram in all year, I had a
lamb born in late June to a yearling ewe.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon