[Jacob-list] Marie in our local paper with one of her Jacobs

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 22:08:16 EDT 2006

Word of caution -- Ram lambs can look & be cute and
cuddly, but when they are grown they are mature,
breeding animals who respond to testosterone NOT prior
gentle handling.

If they view you as a threat to "their" herd during
breeding season (or actually at any time), they WILL
come after you!

Rams are NOT pets! They must be treated with firm
respect and taught to keep distance from shepherd. My
preference is to feed my ram over a fence. If I need
to go to pasture alone and my ram (only have one) is
loose, I have a crook with me and ALWAYS know where he
is). I only tend to his needs (shearing, vaccines,
hoof trimming) when I have another ADULT in the sheep
pasture with me -- not necessarily to help with the
tasks at hand, but to be a second set of eyes "just in
 case".

Also, not to be indelicate here, but when my daughter
is having her "monthlies", she is under STRICT ORDERS
NOT TO BE IN THE PASTURE WITHOUT AN ADULT! She may be
just going out to give our horse a treat or brush him,
but until ram is secured in a different paddock, she
is NOT with him alone. Female mammal smell is female
 mammal smell.

I've not had problems with wethers but will keep the
advice to watch them as they age in mind! Thanks for
sharing that!

I'd rather err on the side of being TOO cautious, than
have a child (or myself) with broken knee, hip,
pelvis, etc.

Joy