[Jacob-list] can of worms

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 18:16:48 EDT 2006

Dan,

     The time that Jacobs start breeding would vary some according to location, but here in southern Indiana our older ewes breed in August to September and young ewes, if left with the ram, will not breed until much later.
     This is the norm, but of course odd things happen from time to time. Maybe it is El Nino or something. We have raised Jacobs for several years and one year, ONLY ONCE, we had three ewes that lambed in January and lambed again in July. Neither they or any of the others have ever done so before or since.
     I sense a hidden message in your statement about " true Jacobs, whatever that is." Would you care share those thoughts?

  Carl @ 4Horn Farm's Jacob Sheep

Hobsickle at aol.com wrote:
      Jacobs are supposed to breed seasonally.  What is the earliest that a "pure" Jacob (whatever that is) will come into heat?  How early of heats should be considered to indicate "crossbred" stock?

  -Dan