[Jacob-list] can of worms

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Aug 1 17:01:54 EDT 2006

I think if you go through all the old flock books, you will find registered Jacobs born in January.  I think I may have seen a few born in December.  I'm a little uncertain on what constitutes "seasonally".  I understand what seasonally means, but does it vary from area to area?  Has anyone ever put "proven purebred" rams in with the "proven purebred" ewes in July/August to see if any get bred?  Or put them together in May?  Running them together all year around is not the same as introducing them at set times. Would we all just say "well, that ewe lambed in December, so she must not be purebred"? Or would we have to rethink the definition of either seasonal or purebred?

In my part of the woods, my ewes tend to not breed before the first of October, even when I put adult rams in the first of September.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com