[Jacob-list] butchering

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Wed Jul 30 17:32:28 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Thomas Simmons wrote:

> I am seriously considering butchering a lamb myself - the first time I've
> done this (although I'm pretty skilled with chickens :-))
>
> Does anyone know of a good website with pictures and what-all to help me
> prepare for this unnerving event?

It isn't terribly difficult, Thom. The biggest cut, the one that is
much easier with two people, is the one down the backbone. For that,
a powered meat saw is a big help, but you could do it by hand.

The one-older edition of Joy of Cooking has some diagrams of cuts. I
think they left that out of the newest edition. If you don't have
it, you might check the library.

Also, Black Sheep Newsletter had an issue... last year, I think, in
which the whole process was outlined with photos. Back issues are
available. The Newsletter has a website:

http://members.aol.com/jkbsnweb/

If you drop them a note, I'm sure they can tell you which issue had
the article.

You can do it!

Susan
--
Susan Layne Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      	|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.