[Jacob-list] hay

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Jul 29 14:01:32 EDT 2003

I think I should have said in regards to Johnsongrass that it can also cause
Prussic acid poisoning after it has been damaged by frost or cut for hay.
This is the same as "Wild cherry poisoning". Johnsongrass should not be
grazed or fed for hay for several weeks after it has been frost killed or
cut.

 Nitrate poisoning is generally not a problem unless the forage has been
heavily fertilized and then harvested before the nitrogen has had a chance
to be turned into protein. This also can be a problem if the weather is
highly variable: the grass takes up nitrogen after a rain and then cool, dry
weather shuts the metabolism back down.

If either nitrate or Prussic acid poisoning are suspected, getting IMMEDIATE
help from a vet is very important. The animal will be lethargic (or
sometimes hyper-excited) and the blood will be either bright red or very
dark red (I don't remember which is which).

Neal