[Jacob-list] hay

Linda Bjarkman patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Jul 24 21:14:10 EDT 2003

We don't see much alfalfa hay around here, but we used to cut alfalfa hay in
Michigan.  Here, in Georgia, we did use some alfalfa/orchard grass hay that a
neighbor had brought in from Kentucky.  I believe the alfalfa was third cutting.
Not one leaf was left behind!

We are in the "fescue belt" here. After raising sheep for 8 years, we were told
about how bad fescue hay was - poor hoof and horn development, hard placentas, etc.
We went and bought just great Russell Bermuda hay - tested at UGA at 17%.  The sheep
had to be starved to eat it. It was the worst horns we've ever seen on the lambs -
we had used an unknown ram.  I kinda have to say that genetics played more of a part
than the fescue.

Our sheep really seem to prefer a weedy hay.  We do feed grain besides, but they
will fight over hay that is weedy and stemmy and wander off from second cutting
bermuda.

I've got abit over an acre planted with an orchard grass/ladino mix and it will be
interesting to see if the sheep like it - if I ever finish the fence!

Linda