[Jacob-list] Feeding loose mineral mix

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Sun Jul 20 19:17:57 EDT 2003

I use a wall-mounted dispenser I got from Nasco--holds about 25 -30 lbs. of
mineral, dispenses into a feeder with two small openings just right for
sheep and goat noses without any pooping, peeing, or spilling.  At least,
there was no spilling once I fixed it so my lead ewe couldn't knock it off
the wall!  It mounts with keyhole slots over screws in the wall, and she
figured out a hook-and-bash move with her horns that lifted it right off the
screws.  Once on the floor of the barn, she had a good time with her "toy".
After she dumped about 3 bags worth of minerals, I finally got smart and put
washers over the screw heads and fastened it permanently.  Now, unless she
can figure out how to use a screwdriver, she will have to find a new toy!
But she still has a good time bashing it as it hangs on the wall .  Very
sturdy--it has stood up to her abuse for 3 years without a crack!
Oh-- their on-line catalog is www.enasco.com  , and the item number is
C17242N.   I haven't found any of my ewes whose horns prevent their being
able to use this feeder, although I will admit that one with very
straight-up vertical horns has to approach from the side and tip her head.
The ram, however, just can't do it.  For him I got one of those little
feeder trough things that just hang on a fence,  and put several screws
through the top of the part that goes over the board so he can't knock it
down.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR.