[Jacob-list] re: ram behavior

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Fri Jul 11 13:19:09 EDT 2003

Hi,
My opinion may be different than most, or not, but here goes.  Ram
psychology is just as predictable as child psychology -- it depends on the
ram.  I have/had (the VT saga continues if anyone is interested...) a ram
that I could pen with anyone.  I could take him for walks, hug him, etc.
He's 3 years old.  He's a Cotswold/Jacob cross and the gentlest fellow you
could ever find.  My older ram who passed away in 2001 was similar in
personality.  He mentored my Skyelar who is now about 3 years old.  Skye,
however, is more "traditional" in his behavior.  I wouldn't generally
allow small children in the pen with him, but if he would let them, they
could probably pet him.  He's generally shy around people he doesn't know
and avoids them.  Other sheep are a different story.  There he's king, or
likes to try to be.  So, he will challenge other rams and butt heads with
them, yes, until someone gets hurt -- just like many children I know.  So,
I try to pen Skye separately or with younger rams (less than a year old)
that he doesn't feel he has to butt heads with.  However, I do make sure
that Skye can see the other sheep, even the girls.  It makes him less
nervous, more calm and easier to handle.  I do handle him, but careful of
his horns and I try not to irritate him senselessly.  I do have clear
boundaries for all my boys and do pull them aside and give them a time-out
if they get out of hand.  Most of them understand the word no.  Skye likes
to have his ears rubbed and the gook cleaned out of them regularly.  So,
he is/was handled often and closely.  My youngest ram is about 2 now.  He
likes/liked kisses on his nose, but needed clear boundaries -- needed me
to say when something wasn't appropriate and when something was.  He,
especially, would act up if he was not able to touch or be with other
sheep.  I penned him with his brother who was wethered and another wether
who's a little cocky and that seemed to go well.  But that was what worked
for him.

Each ram I have had is different in how and when they can be handled.
All, though, need some sort of company of other sheep in order to feel
safe so that they can be well behaved, whether that means in sight of,
fenced next to or fenced with depends on the individual.  I do handle my
rams.  I think touch is important and I think it's important to be able to
handle them.  What's the point in having an animal who you can't handle?
Part of the joy of having animals is being able to touch them.  Jordan, my
cross ram, is a joy to have around and has made some really great
personalities in his offspring.

Anyway, that's my two cents on ram behavior.  I do set limits.  I don't
allow hitting, me or anyone else.  And will tie or give a time-out
(holding them firmly, standing with me, until they calm down) to anyone
not following the rules.  It seems to work, but like any child you have to
stay on it.  I've got/had some really good guys that I can/could work
with.

Kelley