[Jacob-list] 07/07/03

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 22:47:20 EDT 2003

In a message dated 7/7/2003 9:34:55 AM Central Standard Time,
karen at benjaminfarms.com writes:

>  Has anyone ever had to deal with  CL or caseous lymphadenitis?
> Help.  I had a ram which had an abcess on his jaw.  The vet. came out
> and cut it off,  saying it was not his first one. When the next abcess
> appeared he went away. Now I have a buck which has an abcess and some
> sever swelling.  I am not sure if I am dealing with several problems or
> just one.  I have had several people look at him and none have come up
> with any ideas.
>   We need to make a decision soon, because he seems to be getting
> worse.... the latest is his chest,  it seem to swell up and then it got
> better,  now his skin is coming off exposing his flesh.  We have it
> wrapped with all kinds of medicine.  He has been on all kinds of
> antibotics.  I think we are fighting a no win battle.  The hardest part
> is not knowing what we are fighting.
> Thanks Karen Sigler
> Benjamin Farms,  Utah

Fred Horak here.  I am not a veterinarian and the following should not be
construed as vet advise.  We have never had to deal with the problem but it is a
rather common problem often spread at shearing time   .... and is often
present in goats as well as sheep.  The pus is often greenish and like toothpaste.
The pustules are usually associated around the lymph gland system: neck, below
the jaw and below  the ear, chest ... sometimes it is internal affecting
stomach, lungs and liver.  Infection in the lung and internal organs results in a
"wasting sheep" and persistent cougher that seems to have emphysema.

Flock infection and environmental contamination are a major risk.  The
bacteria can be spread by physical  contact and even from ingesting food from CL
contaminated areas.  Any abcess should only be lanced by the vet before it bursts
open ... all pus must be captured and destroyed ..  one can use iodine to
"wash" a burst abcess if it bursts before a vet can get to it.  If the abcess
gets to be as large around as a quarter, get some professional help.  Don't try
to lance it yourself.  The pus is a zoonoses agent so people should take care
to avoid contact.  Affected sheep should be isolated and treated.

If you have one sheep with CL, the next step is to look over your other sheep
for any "small" signs of CL.  It is contagious (nose to nose contact, common
feed areas, etc) so any other affected sheep (and goats for example if you
have them) should be identified, isolated and treated.   If you observe others
with CL, get vet help and appropriate support.  Then one must clean the
environment where the affected sheep have been.  If they have common sheds or pens,
consider moving any remaining sheep and spraying the area with a strong Clorox
solution to kill any latent bacteria.

Fred Horak