[Jacob-list] Lister Sheers

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 18:06:04 EDT 2003

Hello All,

A while back different ones were commenting on their preference to using the 'Lister Sheers' as opposed to the 'Oster Sheers' for several reasons, the main one I remember had to do with how light weight it was compared to the 'Oster'.

We have been using the 'Oster' for the past several years, and after this past sheering season, of which we sheered more sheep than  ever before, we are considering changing to the 'Lister'. However, my husband has several questions about the 'Lister' before we make the plunge, and change sheers:

1) Which Lister do you use, 'Stablemate' or 'Showman'?
2) Which blade do you prefer to use, 'Outlaw', Premier', or 'Senator'?
3) Because the Jacob fleece is more dense than commercial bred sheep does this lighter weight sheer handle the Jacob fleece w/ ease?
4) Do you have to make frequent adjustments to the tension on the blades while sheering?

If those of you who have used the 'Lister Sheers' could answer any or all of these questions your response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Abigail Brown
blotham at yahoo.com
Shiloh Farm