[Jacob-list] Lending

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 29 21:18:17 EST 2000

It is risky to bring an animal on to your properly for breeding or to
send one to another farm. We use to do it quite frequently. About 10
years ago we brought a ewe back for breeding that had been sold to a
good friend whose farm was close by.  We had been to his farm many times
(only about 1 mile away)  We put her in with one of the Jacob rams and
his girls.  We went away for the week end and when we returned the ewe
was off by herself.  Her eyes were opaque.  She had conjunctivitis.  We
treated her and this began a 3 year journey of medicating all our Jacob
with La200 3x's to keep it under control.
This ewe returned to her flock and had no problem, but she had
introduced it into our flock.  The next year we brought another friends
ewe in and it began all over again.  And yet when that ewe went home she
did not pass it on.  Once we stopped bringing  in other animals we had
no more problems.
When we introduce a new sheep to the flock we always isolate it for 3-4
weeks for it to get use to the antibodies that are here.
Of course now with the Scrapie program we do not offer stud service.
By the way our Spinning flock of Border Leicester and Corriedale never
contracted the Conjunctivitis.
Odd but thank goodness it is behind us by quite a few years.
Edie, Joy Farm