[Jacob-list] Rent-a-ram

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Wed Nov 29 19:11:51 EST 2000

I agree that its much easier to maintain the health of your own animals if
your flock is separate from outside pests and diseases.  If something comes
up in your flock, you'll likely notice, diagnose and treat it quickly,  and
hopefully not have to deal with it again soon.  Last summer I put a few of my
sheep in a neighbor's field that had been empty for a few years.  The man
said that he had offered another neighbor the use of his pasture, but it
still sat empty.  I walked the fences and fixed them up here and there, and
put my sheep in.  There was a stream in the pasture and lots to eat, so I
went over to check on them every couple of days.  Two months later,  I went
to check on my sheep and the other neighbor had put his in with mine !  Now,
I know this man would not waste money on veterinary care, because he let a
goat die a slow death when she everted her uterus after kidding.  I raced
over, rounded up and separated the sheep and got them home ASAP.  I then
wormed and deliced ALL my sheep and watched them carefully for a few months.
Fortunately they were together briefly, it could have been worse.  Robin C