[Jacob-list] selling pelts

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Fri Nov 3 09:12:34 EST 2000

I'd be interested in hearing the replies to this post.  I was planning on getting some pelts
tanned this year, but not at those prices.
I'm kinda curious as to why the taxidermist has to take the pelt off.  Either we do it when we
butcher at home or the butcher does it when we take them out.  Do you have to haul the carcass
to the taxidermist and then haul it somewhere else for processing the meat?
Paul - how did the bran, etc tanning come out?   I may have to give home tanning a try.  I've
done rabbit hides, but haven't felt like tackling a sheep hide.

Linda

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:57:32 -0500, Jim Millar  wrote:
>    Hello all,
> I decided to have two lamb skins tanned, hoping  to sell them.  I was a little surprised at
>the cost.  Can anyone tell  me if these prices are in line?  My local taxidermist charges $25
>each for  skinning.  He sends it off to be tanned which will cost about $108  each.  It will
>cost me about $266 to get two pelts finished.
>
> Now, my second question is has anyone sold  these?  If so how much do they go for?  Can I
>make any money?!!   Thanks for your advise,
>
>                     Pam Millar
>                     ZuZu's Petals Farm
>                     Spencer, NY

www.PatchworkFibers.com