[Jacob-list] Scrapie & Primitive Sheep

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 1 08:58:17 EST 2000

Does anyone have actual test results to determine whether Jacobs are
carrying the susceptible genotypes or the genotypes for resistance?  The
article sounds like it was talking mainly about the northern short tailed
sheep breeds and may not apply to Jacobs in particular.

I am in the process of enrolling for the Voluntary Scrapie Program, but they
don't require the genotype testing, just monitoring and permanent
identification.  I had our vet test the flock for OPP since he had come to
do a farm check, but didn't spring for additional genetic testing.  Now I
sort of wish I had.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Jacob Sheep
Creston, OH