[flow-tools] Re: Peak traffic rate in bytes/sec

Annie Tong annie.tong@wcom.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 10:44:23 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_AVWjzX3GSf79fsIvV/rfow)

Mark,

Thank you for taking your time to answer our questions, we all
appreciate your help =) .  But I may not have ask the question clearly,
what I'm looking for is the peak rate of the top talkers.  Let say I
have generated a daily report of the top talkers by using flow-cat,
flow-filter and flow-stat, the report is showing the total packets,
flows and bytes that the top talkers has sent / received, depending on
whether you evaluated the inbound / outbound traffic.  Now I would like
to see the peak traffic of the top talkers during that 24hrs I
evaluated.  In another words, if you graph the top talkers daily network
traffic, it will be the peak value in bytes that you get from the graph.
 If the option is being added to the flow-stat, the final daily report
will have the total traffic flow for each top talkers, plus the peak
traffic flow of the top talkers in the 24 hrs period.  I hope this has
clarified my question.  Thanks again for your help!

Annie Tong
MAE Engineering
MCI WorldCom

Mark Fullmer wrote:

>I think you may want two reports, top talkers every 5 minutes and one for
>24 hours.  Some people prefer 5 minute reports, others daily, others weekly.
>It really depends on what you're looking for.
>
># daily report
>flow-cat <a day of data> | flow-stat <...>
>
># 5 minute report
>flow-cat <a day of data> | flow-split -T300 -osampled
>foreach file in sampled*; do
>  flow-stat $file <...>
>done
>
>The foreach loop may not work correctly if your shell doesn't
>support numeric glob sorting.
>
>...I do what I can to answer questions on the flow-tools list.  There
>are 230+ other subscribers who are more than welcome to chime in :)
>
>mark
>
>On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 09:54:11AM -0700, Annie Tong wrote:
>
>>Hi Mark,
>>
>>I have sent this mail out before but since I haven't got the reply from
>>you, you might have missed my mail.  I want to add an option for
>>flow-stat to print the peak traffic rate for the top talkers in
>>bytes/sec for a given period of time.  I'm thinking the logic will be
>>something like storing the peak traffic rate for the top talkers for
>>each 5 mins interval, and compare the peak rates at the end to find the
>>real peak rate value for each top talker.  However since the top talkers
>>for each 5 mins interval don't necessary equal to the top talkers for
>>the evaluation period, this approach may not be efficient.  Any idea on
>>how the logic should be?  I really have no idea on how to approach this,
>>so any help will be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>Thank you!
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Annie Tong
>>MAE Engineering
>>MCI WorldCom

>>flow-tools@splintered.net
>>http://www.splintered.net/sw/flow-tools

--Boundary_(ID_AVWjzX3GSf79fsIvV/rfow)

<head>
</head>
Mark,<br>
Thank you for taking your time to answer our questions, we all appreciate
your help =) . &nbsp;But I may not have ask the question clearly, what I'm looking
for is the peak rate of the top talkers. &nbsp;Let say I have generated a daily
report of the top talkers by using flow-cat, flow-filter and flow-stat, the
report is showing the total packets, flows and bytes that the top talkers
has sent / received, depending on whether you evaluated the inbound / outbound
traffic. &nbsp;Now I would like to see the peak traffic of the top talkers during
that 24hrs I evaluated. &nbsp;In another words, if you graph the top talkers daily
network traffic, it will be the peak value in bytes that you get from the
graph. &nbsp;If the option is being added to the flow-stat, the final daily report
will have the total traffic flow for each top talkers, plus the peak traffic
flow of the top talkers in the 24 hrs period. &nbsp;I hope this has clarified
my question. &nbsp;Thanks again for your help!<br>
Annie Tong<br>
MAE Engineering<br>
MCI WorldCom &nbsp; &nbsp;<br>
Mark Fullmer wrote:<br>
    <pre wrap=""><!----><br></pre>

--Boundary_(ID_AVWjzX3GSf79fsIvV/rfow)--