[flow-tools] Re: Peak traffic rate in bytes/sec

Mark Fullmer maf@eng.oar.net
Sun, 19 May 2002 21:03:26 -0400

I think you may want two reports, top talkers every 5 minutes and one for
24 hours.  Some people prefer 5 minute reports, others daily, others weekly.
It really depends on what you're looking for.

# daily report
flow-cat <a day of data> | flow-stat <...>

# 5 minute report
flow-cat <a day of data> | flow-split -T300 -osampled
foreach file in sampled*; do
  flow-stat $file <...>
done

The foreach loop may not work correctly if your shell doesn't
support numeric glob sorting.

...I do what I can to answer questions on the flow-tools list.  There
are 230+ other subscribers who are more than welcome to chime in :)

mark