a word to the wise

Michael Eisenstadt austin-ghetto-list@pairlist.net
Thu May 20 09:36:58 2004

Wayne,

Just a pointer about attaching files to maillist posts. Except for
image files (jpegs and gifs), its better not to do it. A good
alternative is to include a link to the file so the recipient can
chose whether or not she wants to click on it.

In fact some of our subscribers' mailservers automatically
bounced your email when their mail server's software
detected the zip file attachment (bounce notices are
automatically sent to me as "maillist administrator").

It is of course quite ok to send large sized zip files
attached to emails between consenting adults who
get their email through real email readers from their
Internet providers. But many subscribers use Web
based email (like Yahoo or Hotmail) which have limited
size inboxes.

Mike the 'ministrator