How did we get to Abu Ghraib?

Wayne Johnson austin-ghetto-list@pairlist.net
Thu May 20 08:46:24 2004

The attachment is the complete text of Stanley Milgram's Yale experiment of
the early Sixties wherein he demonstrated that perfectly normal people(well,
Yale undergraduates)  will torture and kill other people if they think they
"must complete the experiment" and the experimenter will accept the
"responsibility".  This is *the* seminal work in this field.  Sadly, it has
been replicated quite successfully over and again.  (A similar experiment
occurred many years ago at, I think, gasp, Palo Alto High School, where a
bunch of kids were transformed into little Nazis in a matter of months.
Major backpedaling on that one.)

It is a rather scary read and Milgram was most astonished and horrified by
the results, which were not expected. My Lai occurred about seven years
later.

Milgram's work has been quoted in connection with the horror of Abu Ghraib.
The important fact is....there is *always* someone in *authority* who works
these things.  Court martialing some poof pfc hardly qualifies as stamping
out the problem.

I will try to send you a separate email with the text, unzipped.

wayne
----- Original Message -----
From: "Frances Morey" <frances_morey@excite.com>
To: <austin-ghetto-list@pairlist.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 3:28 AM
Subject: RE: How did we get to Abu Ghraib?

> Wayne,
> I don't think I have zip file capability on this computer. The last time I
tried to open a zip file something wormed into every nook and crany of the
stored files with pop-up-poop-nonsense, some 42 screens of it, which I had
to delete every time I turned on the machine--so I am wary of them. What is
the attachment, photo or text? Sounds like a road movie, "The Road to Abu
Ghraib," staring Lyndie and her consort.