Good read

mbuttons mbuttons@gate.net
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:39:15 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3092301617_363436_MIME_Part

on 12/26/2001 8:43 AM, EarthAnjel@aol.com at EarthAnjel@aol.com wrote:

I really wish I had a good book to read

Carol, et al,

I'm enamored of a relatively new mystery series --- "novels of historical
suspense" --- by Owen Parry:
Faded Coat of Blue
Shadows of Glory
Call Each River Jordan

The protagonist is a Welch immigrant, and Afghan veteran, who becomes a
Union agent (detective NOT a spy)  in the U.S. Civil War. Not as
gut-wrenching as All the Pretty Horses, but beautifully written with
delightful flashes of Twain-like wit ... and compelling observations on the
nature of war. Intriguing and timely comments and comparisons involving the
"fierce Pushtoons"

Recently read a Sherlock Holmes pastiche and was reminded that Watson also
was an Afghan veteran.

... and I'm seriously considering re-reading The Hobbit and the Trilogy ...
right after I finish Harry Potter books three and four. They are great fun!
Just started "The Professor and the Madman," --- an account of the compiling
of the Oxford English Dictionary. It got rave reviews, but I'm too few pages
into it to offer a personal opinion. Well written it is. That's immediately
apparent.

keepin' it light
love
m-a

-- Mary Ann Wilson
mbuttons@gate.net

--MS_Mac_OE_3092301617_363436_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Good read</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 12/26/2001 8:43 AM, EarthAnjel@aol.com at EarthAnjel@aol.com wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial Black">I really wish=
 I had a good book to read<BR>
</FONT></FONT></FONT><BR>
<BR>
Carol, et al,<BR>
<BR>
I'm enamored of a relatively new mystery series --- &quot;novels of histori=
cal suspense&quot; --- by Owen Parry:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE>Faded Coat of Blue<BR>
Shadows of Glory<BR>
Call Each River Jordan<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
The protagonist is a Welch immigrant, and Afghan veteran, who becomes a Uni=
on agent (detective NOT a spy) &nbsp;in the U.S. Civil War. Not as gut-wrenc=
hing as All the Pretty Horses, but beautifully written with delightful flash=
es of Twain-like wit ... and compelling observations on the nature of war. I=
ntriguing and timely comments and comparisons involving the &quot;fierce Pus=
htoons&quot; <BR>
<BR>
Recently read a Sherlock Holmes pastiche and was reminded that Watson also =
was an Afghan veteran.<BR>
<BR>
... and I'm seriously considering re-reading The Hobbit and the Trilogy ...=
 right after I finish Harry Potter books three and four. They are great fun!=
 Just started &quot;The Professor and the Madman,&quot; --- an account of th=
e compiling of the Oxford English Dictionary. It got rave reviews, but I'm t=
oo few pages into it to offer a personal opinion. Well written it is. That's=
 immediately apparent.<BR>
<BR>
keepin' it light<BR>
love<BR>
m-a<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
-- Mary Ann Wilson<BR>
mbuttons@gate.net<BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3092301617_363436_MIME_Part--