The history on 12 Days of Christmas

Frances Morey frances_morey@excite.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:32:30 -0800 (PST)

This info came as news to me. I had always wondered what the song was about,
and this seems plausible.
Frances

"12 days of Christmas"

Here is one Christmas Carol that has always baffled
me.  What in the world do
leaping lords, French hens, swimming swans, and
especially the partridge who
won't come out of the pear tree have to do with
Christmas?

Today, I found out.  From 1558 until 1829, Roman
Catholics in England were
not permitted to practice their faith openly.
Someone during that era wrote
this carol as a catechism song for young Catholics.
It has two levels of
meaning:  the surface meaning plus a hidden meaning
known only to the members
of their church.  Each element in the carol has a
code word for a religious
reality which the children could remember.

The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ. Two
turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments. Three French
hens stood for faith, hope and love. The
four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew,
Mark, Luke and John. The
five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the
first five books of the Old
Testament. The six geese a-laying stood for the six
days of creation. Seven
swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of
the Holy Spirit:
Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation,
Contribution, Leadership and Mercy.
The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.
Nine ladies dancing were
the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit:  Love, Joy,
Peace, Patience, Kindness,
Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self Control.
The ten lords a-leaping
were the Ten Commandments. The eleven pipers piping
stood for the eleven
faithful disciples. The twelve drummers drumming
symbolized the twelve points
of belief in The Apostles' Creed.

So there is your history for today.  This knowledge
was shared with me and I
found it interesting and enlightening and now I know
how that strange song
became a Christmas Carol... so pass it on if you
wish.

FYI:  The following was pasted from
'www.truthorfiction.com'

The song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" is actually
Christian Doctrine in Code-Fiction!

Summary of eRumor: This email says that the
popular Christmas song "The
12 Days of Christmas" was actually written as a
memory device for Christians
to remember and recite doctrine.  It says that
beginning in the 1500's, Catholics in
England were not allowed to practice
their faith openly, so
"The Twelve Days of Christmas" became a secret
catechism.  Several
suggestions are listed as to what doctrines the
verses actually represented.

The Truth:  TruthOrFiction.com has not found
any historic or scholarly
reference that supports this allegation.  None of
the hundreds of emails or
citations of this story on the net that we've seen
includes any credible source.

On the other hand, there are several sources that
list the song as being of
probable French origin. The most notable is the
prestigious New Oxford Book
of Carols which not only cites the French roots of
the song, but says it is
based on a game that children would play on the
Twelfth Night, the eve of
Epiphany.  In the game, each child would have to try
to remember and recite
the objects that were said by a  previous child.  If
successful, the child
would add another object to the list for the next
contestant to recite.  If
not, the child dropped out.  The game would continue
until there was a winner.

There are also other problems with the catechism
theory.   The assumption
behind the theory is that the song allowed Catholics
to secretly embrace
their beliefs behind the backs of non-Catholic
Christian leaders during a
time when being a practicing Catholic was against
the law.  None of the
doctrines said to be represented in the Twelve Days
of Christmas, however,
was different from the beliefs of Anglicans or
Presbyterians.   There is also
the question that if the song was that important for
teaching or remembering
doctrine, why was it associated only with Christmas?

Orders thru <amazon.com> will deliver before Dec. 24.
"The Skinny on Weight Loss: One Woman's
True Journey to Fat and Back" by Frances Morey
Order online <www.xlibris.com/bookstore>
or by phone at 1-888-795-4274 Extension #276

Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger
http://messenger.excite.com