Origins of word "Taliban"

Jon Ford jonmfordster@hotmail.com
Wed, 05 Dec 2001 18:25:42 -0800

Frances-- somebody may have answered this, but the name means "God's
Students. Mostly ethnic Afghan Pashtuns trained in Pakestan, very religious
students of Omar :?The origin of the Taliban movement in southern
Afghanistan in late 1994
was just as following : "A religious teacher; Mawlawi Mohammed Omar,
organized his students, or " Taliban," into a band to pursue and kill a
Mujaheedin leader and his men who had assaulted three women in the city
of Kandahar". Anwar Munsuri, Deutsche Press Agents, in an article in
wrote " The Taliban grew into a reformist force against the rape of
Afghanistan by warlords and "corrupt and power-hungry"
Mujaheedin groups.