Corte Madera My Dear-a

Monty/Judith Herr herr@attbi.com
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:06:02 -0800

Re Marin - I've got a story to tell as well - not about Corte Madera, but
further up - Pointe Reyes to be exact.

Monty and I were surviving in SF on  Jones Avenue in 1961 and decided one
Saturday to get married - went to the courthouse - no judges worked on
Saturday.  So, with a friend as a witness (she was the designated witness
because she had access to a  car), we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and
started up the coast looking for a justice of the peace.  None in Sausalito,
etc....kept driving north.  Unfortunately I was three months pregnant with
Misty, so, the bride became car sick as we made our way past Murr Woods -
and, finally reached Point Reyes Station and found a willing JP.

He performed the ceremony in his living room, a bit perturbed by our lack of
decorum and  unusual appearance for a wedding couple.  Monty   borrowed
money from the witness for the ceremony  (Monty discretely slipped the JP
$10 in his palm and was rewarded with  "Mr. Herr, my fee is $20.")
Afterwards, we went back into the city for a celebratory dinner  - car
sickness having subsided -  dinner in North Beach at the New Leaning Pisa
(or something like that).

And, 25 years later while living in New Orleans, Monty secretly found the JP
(then a retired judge in Marin), made flight and Inn reservations, and we
flew to SF, rented a car, crossed the San Rafael bridge past Alcatraz, and
drove on up the coast to be remarried at the JP's home again.......he was
much more comfortable with us the second time around - many beatnik and
hippie weddings later, he had experience with a few that actually
lasted.........

And, the moral of this story is....well, whatever.....

Judith M. Herr
Well Chosen Words
herrj@attbi.net
925-443-4514