shudda stayed wid da circus

Jon Ford jonmfordster@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 15:46:17 -0800

Harry-- I wouldn't say he exactly "ran away to join the Taliban"--he ran off
on a religious quest to Pakestan, and wound up a Taliban. His case is really
interesting, particularly to those of us familiar with cult groups and how
they transform their followers. Here is a very bright, well-educated youth
of privilege, neither of whose parents are Muslims-- just the opposite of
most of the international Talaban fanatics, many of whom are Muslin youth
from desperately poor backgrounds -- but his background is similar to that
of many cult-group members in the US who strart off as spiritual questers
and wind up hooked on some obscure and exploitive doctrine.

Jon