Advice which probably I'm unqualified to give --

Jim Strong strongjim@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:31:10 -0800 (PST)

Yep, like GD but a LOT BETTER. Zone Alarm is the most
effective but the most Gatesian at the same time.
Black Ice Defender is very good. Both "stealth ports
subject to intrusion by hackers (ident, telnet, etc).
To a hacker, it appears your machine is not there
(Romulan like, eh?). Black Ice does a nice job of
alerting you to attempts to probe your computer (and
zombiefie it).
You can download demo copies of each at their web
sites. Zone Alarm has a VERY GOOD special price on
this month. Check it out at their site. Once you have
loaded either program, go to the Gibson Research
Center site (grc.com) and do the Port Probe test to
see the programs at work.
Zone Alarm: http://www.zonelabs.com/products/za/
Black Ice: http://www.networkice.com/
Gibson:http://grc.com/
Add Symantec Systemworks Pro 2002 and you have a VERY
SECURE machine for cruising the net.
Christmas Bonus: Set up a free SECURE e-mail account
at ziplip.com in the name of your choice andf you have
a pretty secure set up.
Billy Jim

--- Wayne Johnson <cadaobh2@brgnet.com> wrote:
> Goshdurnnit, will you please not propose arcane
> terms line "Zone Alarm" and
> "Black Ice" without some clue to the unitiated!!!!
> Sounds like "Guard
> Dog", but are they?
>
> Please do tell.  Thanks.
>
> WJ

=====
The peace of the cosmos is infinite motion