Appeal for assistance: HELPPPPP

Wayne Johnson cadaobh2@brgnet.com
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:36:49 -0500

Guys, I need some serious help.  (No, not THAT kind of help!)

My Sony laptop seems to have mysteriously "lost" a .dll file which keeps me
from using Visio.  I have uninstalled and re-installed until I am blue in
the, uh, face.  I thought a complete re-install would solve the problem, but
alas...

What happens is that when I try to boot up the Visio software...using icons,
.exe files or whatever, I get the same error message that I got the first
time. (Prior to reinstalling.)

To wit:                     the MSVCP60.DLL file is linked to missing export
file MSVCRT.DLL:_lc_collate_cp.
Plus another error message that shows up when it tries to start, stating
that a "device is missing".

Now the MSVCP60.DLL  file exists and shows up as in Windows\Systems on
search for  .dll files, but a "text" search for  MSVCRT.DLL:_lc_collate_cp
through the whole computer failed.

However, when I asked for a search for an MSVCRT.DLL   file with the text:
_lc_collate_cp, I found a 249KB App. Ext. file located in an Iomega\Common
folder.

I was using this software a couple of months ago and everything ran fine.  I
certainly don't go around deleting .dll files and I have no idea as to why
this file may have become corrupted, unless via a secret power spike and,
supposedly, I have protection aganist that.  It is a mystery.

Questions:

Does anyone recognize what the MSVCRT.DLL:_lc_collate_cp is supposed to do
as an "export" file?
If this file exists down in Iomega, why can't the other program read it?
because there is no clear "path"?
Is there anyway to bypass this,  without going into the file iteself, which
I really, really, really don't want to do.
Is there a reliable means fo copying this file back where the Visio program
can see that it exists....assuming that "device driver" is correct monniker
for this file?
Why wouldn't this kind of file be a basic part of the Visio software and
thereby be suitably inserted upon installation, instead of relying on
previously installed/factory loaded files?  Is this a frequent
characteristic of .dll files?

As using the Visio dis-install/reinstall program didn't solve this problem,
this has me worried.  Incidentally, I am not in a position to shell out
$250++ dollars to Microsoft for there "help" right now.  Sadly, I really
NEED this program to work for me right now as it can provide graphics for a
major presentation to the USPS.

Any and all assistance truly appreciated.

Wayne