[MyAppleMenu] Feb 8, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 8 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** Apple Continues Adding Lion Internet Recovery Support To 2010 Macs ****
<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/02/08/apple_continues_adding_lion_internet_recovery_support_to_2010_macs.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

> Apple on Tuesday released several EFI firmware updates for its 2010 Macs to enable the Lion Internet Recovery feature to the older machines.

**** Apple To Stream Live Paul McCartney Concert To iTunes And Apple TV ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/07/apple-to-stream-live-paul-mccartney-concert-to-itunes-and-apple-tv/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** The iPad At Work, Day 2: Testing The Limits ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/165240/2012/02/the_ipad_at_work_day_2_testing_the_limits.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> While day one had been an adjustment, things had gone pretty well; I hadn’t needed to resort to my Mac at all, and I had finished my work on time. But, to be honest, I had been a bit cautious about the things I’d attempted to do. So on day two, I pushed myself a little bit harder. Not surprisingly, in doing so I ran into more problems.

Further adventures of a man who went Mac-less for three days.

**** Publishers Are Flubbing The iPad ****
<http://www.editorandpublisher.com/Columns/Article/Publishers-Are-Flubbing-The-iPad?utm_source=newsletter>
Alan D. Mutter, Editor & Publisher

> Two years after the debut of the iPad, most newspaper publishers still are fretting and fumbling over what to do about it.

**** Study Credits 'App Economy' With 500,000 U.S. Jobs ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57372623-93/study-credits-app-economy-with-500000-u.s-jobs/>
Lance Whitney, CNET

**** Shadow And Smoke ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2012/feb/23/shadow-and-smoke/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Charles Wright, The New York Review Of Books

**** Buildings Should Manage The Flood Situation, Not Only The Canals ****
<http://chantc.blogspot.com/2012/02/buildings-should-manage-flood-situation.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FZbxP+%28My+Little+Corner%29>
My Little Corner

> The developers should at the very least ensure that the building on the land will not affect the nature surrounding the building. Therefore, creating the structures to control the run-offs as a result of these thunderstorms will help in alleviate the flood situation and developers or land owners should not push all the blame to the canal that is used for the whole of Singapore.

**** Further Education Hot Topic At ITE Dialogue ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120208-0000077/Further-education-hot-topic-at-ITE-dialogue>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

> Several students from the three ITE campuses at REACH's Kopi Talk dialogue held at ITE College East asked if opportunities for them to upgrade after graduating could be expanded.

> [Education Minister of State Lawrence Wong] said he understood their aspirations but not everyone would be able to pursue a diploma at a polytechnic immediately after obtaining their Higher NITEC. This was due to limited places at local polytechnics and employers' demand for ITE graduates. "If everyone can move up, we will not have enough ITE graduates out there in the workforce," he said.

**** The Media And Yaw Shin Leong ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/the-media-and-yaw-shin-leong/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

**** What Now, WP? ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/politics/item/463-what-now-wp?>
Publichouse.sg

> The party needs to pull up its collective socks, if its handling of Mr Yaw’s incident and the parliamentary debate over ministerial salaries are any indication.

> Mr Low, who has been with the WP for 30 years (since 1982), will need to realise that with the euphoric support for his party in the last hustings comes greater expectations from Singaporeans.

**** A 10 Per Cent Price Decline For Singapore ****
<http://www.property-report.com/a-10-per-cent-price-decline-for-singapore-19003>
Property Report

> With analysts predicting a 10 per cent price fall in the real estate market, Singapore’s most prominent residential property developers are looking for any advice they can get.

**** Doctors Claim Mindef Infringed 'Mobile Clinic' Patent ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120208-326565.html>
AsiaOne

> Two doctors are suing the Government after alleging that the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) knowingly infringed their intellectual property by coming up with a mobile casualty station which they claim to have designed and patented.

**** Does Singapore Need NMPs? ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/does-singapore-need-nmps--20120207.html>
Deborah Choo, Yahoo!

**** 新加坡人有多乐观? 心理卫生学院有新测试法 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120208_011.shtml>
黎远漪, 联合早报

**** Dining Out: Banana Leaf Serves An Eclectic Mix Of Southeast Asian Spices, Flavors ****
<http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/53391369-80/dishes-singapore-menu-sauce.html.csp>
Stuart Melling, The Salt Lake Tribune

For home-sick Singaporeans (and Malaysians) near Brigham Young University.

**** Tech-savvy Singapore Sees Spike In Online Scams ****
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/computer/278814/tech-savvy-singapore-sees-spike-in-online-scams>
AFP

> Internet scams have increased in Singapore as consumers in the tech-savvy city-state increasingly turn to online shopping, but the overall crime rate fell to a 20-year low, police said Tuesday.

**** Prince To Pauper, Hero To Zero. ****
<http://ideacauldron.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/prince-to-pauper-hero-to-zero/>
The Idea Cauldron

> What amazed me (and others) was the speed with which the WP squandered the hard-earned political capital and goodwill which it garnered post GE2011.

**** PAP Attacking Singaporeans Again 2 ****
<http://veritas-lux.blogspot.com/2012/02/pap-attacking-singaporeans-again-2.html>
Veritas

> While Kuan Yew seems not to be bothered about other things, this FT policies appears to be the only thing he is not able completely hands off.

**** Rental Rules Relaxed To Ensure Financial Security ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120208-0000034/Rental-rules-relaxed-to-ensure-financial-security>
Michael Lee, Today

> To put up with insecurity or new neighbours is a small price to pay. To ensure financial security after retirement, especially here, is overwhelmingly an issue that weighs heavily on each Singaporean.

Put up with your neighbor subletting flats to more and more strangers -- because someday, <i>you</i> might have to too.

**** Yaw Quits Workers' Party Leadership ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120207-0000156/Yaw-quits-Workers-Party-leadership>
Today

> Member of Parliament Yaw Shin Leong has resigned as treasurer of the Workers' Party (WP), with immediate effect.

> The party accepted Mr Yaw's resignation from party leadership yesterday at the Executive Council's monthly meeting, the WP said in a statement released late yesterday night.

See also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://wp.sg/2012/02/changes-in-workers-party-leadership/">Changes In Workers’ Party Leadership</a> (The Workers' Party).</li>
<li><a href="http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/the-new-poor-revisited/">The "New Poor" Revisited</a> (Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor).</li>