[MyAppleMenu] Oct 16, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 16 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Meanwhile, Back At The Lion Ranch... <http://tidbits.com/article/12559?rss>
Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

In my experiments, applications such as TextEdit and Preview did not vanish from the Command-Tab switcher the moment they were windowless and backgrounded. But they did eventually vanish from the Command-Tab switcher (and the Dock, if they weren’t a permanent resident there). So while the timing may have been changed, the basic behavior has not; and the basic behavior still seems to me to be just plain wrong.

**** Picking Up Public Radio, But Still No Talking Back <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/nyregion/new-york-public-radio-releases-app-for-wnyc.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Joshua Brustein, New York Times

**** Apple Imposes 'One Device' Limitation On 'Find My Friends' Service <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/apple-imposes-one-device-limitation-on-find-my-friends-service/15512?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ZDNetBlogs+%28ZDNet+All+Blogs%29>
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

**** How Steve Jobs Changed <http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2011/10/17/111017ta_talk_surowiecki>
James Surowiecki, New Yorker

In giving up a little control, Jobs found a lot more power.

**** Siri Will Never Open To 3rd Party Devs <http://robcortez.com/post/11513506147/siri-will-never-open-to-3rd-party-devs>
Rob Cortez

Whether you are an iOS developer or not, after playing with Siri for 5 minutes, you can’t help but think “this thing is going to be incredible once other apps can plug in to her power.” Great in theory, but not in practice.

**** Apple iOS 5 Refines Features <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2016507478_ptios15.html>
Glenn Fleishman, The Seattle Times

Apple has reached a point with iOS where it can't provide features that make you want to tear your clothes off and run into the streets with joy. But it can smooth down the rough edges, freely borrow from its competitors' best innovations, and make you have to think even less about how you manage your device, and just let you use it.

**** What Went Wrong At One Madison Park <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/magazine/what-went-wrong-at-one-madison-park.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all>
Katrina Brooker, New York Times

It was one of those New York “it” buildings with a superprime, recession-proof location. So how did it end up nearly empty?

**** Occupy Raffles Place Fail <http://newnation.sg/2011/10/occupy-raffles-place-fail/>
Belmont Lay, New Nation

Anyone these days can put the authorities on high alert. Because the authorities are highly paranoid, you can actually set up a Facebook page and say you want to protest in 20 locations in north, south, east, west and central areas and you’ll ruin half the weekend of about half the police force and another half of SPH’s staff.

**** Effort <http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/effort/>
Words Of The Cze

**** What Are The SPP, NSP And RP Up To Post GE? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/what-are-the-spp-nsp-and-rp-up-to-post-ge/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Man Linked To Temasek Review Arrested, Now On Bail <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/man-linked-to-temasek-review-arrested--now-on-bail.html>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

Joseph Ong Chor Teck, linked to socio-political website Temasek Review Emeritus (TRE), was arrested last month for offences under the Parliamentary Elections Act.

Ong was arrested on 3 September for conducting a general election exit poll on the TRE website, previously named Temasek Review, asking people to share how they voted, The Sunday Times reported. It is illegal to publish opinion polls during an election and exit polls on Polling Day before results are announced.

**** Singapore Leads Asian Reticence In Denouncing Corporate Greed <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/16/us-protests-asia-idUSTRE79F08O20111016>
Chow Yin Hon, Reuters

The pro-government Straits Times appeared to take pride in the non-turnout after a call to gather at Raffles Place in the financial center did not materialize.

"What's missing in this picture?" it asked on its front page above a picture of three policemen patrolling an almost empty Raffle Place.

**** Groups Clash Over Labour Issue <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/10/16/asia/9707787&sec=asia>
Straits Times

In a rare show of disagreement, the labour movement and Singapore’s main employers’ group made public their different views on how best to ensure bosses adopt a Singaporeans First policy when hiring and grooming workers.

**** Why We All Should Be Concerned About The ISA <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10/why-we-all-should-be-concerned-about-the-isa/>
Howard Lee, The Online Citizen

What we need is to be participants of our national security, even if just through public conversations to shake the old skeletons out of the closet. Such conversations have so far only been restricted within the walls of the Ministry of Home Affairs, and monologues do little to encourage public discourse, much less instill public confidence.

**** Opinion Polls – An Asset To The Democratic Process <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/opinion-polls-–-an-asset-to-the-democratic-process/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

If a law is not justifiable, we should not hold in disgrace he who, at great personal cost, breaks it. To do so without reflection is once more to behave like sheep.

**** Summer Of Change In Southeast Asia, But No Arab Spring <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/16/us-asia-summer-idUSTRE79F0KQ20111016?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FworldNews+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+International%29>
Raju Gopalakrishnan, Reuters

**** Dr Tan Cheng Bock Tells New MPs To Fight For Causes They Believe In <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1159756/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Asked about his plans, Dr Tan remained coy but said he will be watching parliament closely and had a piece of advice for new MPs.

"Be prepared to get some parliamentary wounds, and not run away when they get these parliamentary wounds. If they believe in a cause, they must stand up and fight for that cause," said Dr Tan.

**** Occupy Raffles Place?.....Where Got? <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/10/occupy-raffles-placewhere-got.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind