[MyAppleMenu] Oct 15, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 15 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Bugs & Fixes: Logging Into iCloud And MobileMe With Separate Accounts <http://www.macworld.com/article/163056/2011/10/logging_into_icloud_and_mobileme_with_separate_accounts.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** How To Configure iCloud If You Share An Apple ID <http://www.macworld.com/article/163006/2011/10/how_to_configure_icloud_if_you_share_an_apple_id.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

The good news is that you can continue to share an Apple ID for iTunes purchases with your family while maintaining individual, separate iCloud accounts. And the even better news is that Apple totally approves of your doing so, so you needn’t feel guilty about it.

**** Apple Sets Steve Jobs Memorial For Sunday <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204002304576631531431248662.html>
Wall Street Journal

Apple Inc. has invited some of Silicon Valley's biggest names to a memorial service for Steve Jobs Sunday, Oct. 16, according to a copy of the invitation and several invitees. An Apple spokesman said the Sunday event is a private service.

**** iPhone 4S Seems To Fix 'Death Grip' Antenna Issue <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/iphone-4s-seems-to-fix-death-grip-antenna-issue/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

Early testing and reports from iPhone 4S users seem to show that the signal drop from tightly gripping the iPhone has been diminished or even eliminated.

**** Serving At The Pleasure Of The King <http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/10/serving-at-the-pleasure-of-the-king.html>
Jeff Atwood, Coding Horror

As a consumer, I like that Apple is perfectly willing to throw its software developers under a bus to protect me (or, more cynically, Apple itself). But as a software developer, I'm not sure I can cope with that and I am unlikely to ever develop anything for an iOS device as a result. If you choose to deliver software in the Apple ecosystem, this is simply the tradeoff you've chosen to make. Apple developers serve at the pleasure of the king.

**** I Was An Under-Age Semiotician <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/books/review/i-was-an-under-age-semiotician.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Steven Johnson, New York Times

But writing those sentences — and there are thousands like them still tracing their vagabond utterances on my hard drive — turned out to be a critical part of my education. I was, you see, a semiotics major at Brown University, during a remarkable spell in the 1980s when semiotics was allegedly the third-most-popular major in the humanities there, despite being a field (and a word) that drew nothing but blank stares at family cocktail parties and job interviews. “Ah, semiotics,” a distant relative once said to me during winter break. “The study of how plants grow in light. Very important field.”

**** Is The Brain Good At What It Does? <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/books/review/is-the-brain-good-at-what-it-does.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Christopher Chabris, New York Times

The “your brain, warts and more warts” genre is well represented by the new book “Brain Bugs: How the Brain’s Flaws Shape Our Lives,” by Dean Buonomano, a neuroscientist at U.C.L.A. He takes readers on a lively tour of systematic biases and errors in human thinking, citing examples that are staples of psychology courses and other popular books. What is new, however, is Buonomano’s focus on the mechanisms of memory, especially its “associative architecture,” as the main causes of the brain’s bugs.

**** A Long Shot <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/14/long-shot-poem-andrew-greig?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Andrew Greig, The Guardian

**** The Architecture Of The Comic Book City <http://www.architizer.com/en_us/blog/dyn/30346/the-architecture-of-the-comic-book-city/>
Samuel Medina, Architizer

To younger audiences not native to New York City, the images may appear as a fanciful construct, an amalgam of familiar park elements, bridge-like infrastructure, and urban scenarios, held together by considerable amounts of imagination. This is an introduction to architecture, not only to its more palpable aspects of scale and material, but, more importantly, to its narrative and theatrical capacities. These scenes unfold on the psychological terrain of collective urban experience, manifested by dark, empty public squares, brooding towers, schizophrenic glass office blocks, and derelict religious structures. In the case of Daredevil, and all others, the superhero maintains an asymmetric relationship with the built environment, on which his existence rests. Simply put, the city doesn’t need its superheroes as much as they need it.

**** Praying Perpetually To Save Society <http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-me-dominionism-20111013,0,5639773,full.story>
Mitchell Landsberg, Los Angeles Times

At the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, Mo., the worshiping never stops. The 24-hour effort is part of a movement to save business, media and government from evil.

**** Disappearance <http://freq.uenci.es/2011/10/14/disappearance/>
Roger Friedland, Freq.uenci.es

In the avant-garde literature of those days, pubic hair was everywhere. In a hallucinatory scene in William Burroughs’ Naked Lunch, finally published here in 1962, Johnny has just doused himself and Mary with gasoline. “He is a boy sleeping against the mosque wall, ejaculate wet dreaming into a thousand cunts pink and smooth as sea shells. Feeling the delight of prickly pubic hairs slide up his cock…..”

Not today.

**** Target Price-fixing Of Goods, Not Wages <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111014-0000671/Target-price-fixing-of-goods,-not-wages>
Jolovan Wham, Humanitarian Organisation For Migration Economics, Today

The CCS should focus on price-fixing of actual goods and services and not the wages of vulnerable workers.

As long as we continue to view migrant workers as economic units only, their working conditions will see little improvement; they will continue to be exploited and discriminated against.

**** Johor Police Brief S'pore Media Over Security <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/10/14/nation/20111014163651&sec=nation>
The Star

Any assumption that people fear to come to Johor is utterly baseless, said state police chief Datuk Mokhtar Shariff at a briefing of local and Singapore journalists of the crime situation.

**** Singapore Warns Against Anti-finance Protest <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hdxVsgVTuM1GH_NdAMmFElCjelUw?docId=CNG.1fbdf11133b71269e5b8fa4960901ddb.21>
AFP

**** 6,500 Commuters Hit By Peak Hour MRT Train Delay <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/peak-hour-evening-crowd-hit-by-mrt-train-delay.html>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

The train fault could not have come at a worse time with SMRT having their annual Dinner and Dance this Friday.

**** PR Agency Resigns From Wildlife Reserves Singapore Account <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/Singaporeinbrief/EDC111015-0000194/PR-agency-resigns-from-Wildlife-Reserves-Singapore-account>
Carolyn Quek, Today

While the agency would not say more - citing client confidentiality - the resignation was made at the end of last month, at the height of the controversy surrounding WRS cancelling its popular Halloween Horrors event.

**** 新媒体成熟了吗? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl111015_011.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

部分网民放弃对抗式语调的同时,政府对网民的态度也逐渐转向接受。网络议论以前被视为杂音或“在边缘的疯话”,现在则被较认真看待。陈庆炎总统日前代表政府宣读施政方针演词时,表示政府应运用新媒体来与民众接触。他本身在竞选期间就曾积极地设法与博客打好关系。各政府机构和基层单位的面簿账户也如雨后春笋般冒出,政府开始回应民众在网上的提问和批评。

这是好的开端。但冰冻三尺非一日之寒,部分网民对政府的不信任,还需政府透过持之以恒、不亢不卑的交流,才能慢慢获得化解。

**** Let Maids Rest, Urges Archbishop <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1159557/1/.html>
Carolyn Quek, Today

The head of the Catholic Church in Singapore is calling for a rest day every week for domestic workers, the latest in a chorus of voices here urging for time off for maids.

**** S’pore Policy To Impact Ringgit <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/10/15/business/9699945&sec=business>
Fintan Ng, The Star

Currency traders told StarBizWeek that the close trade linkages between the two countries would imply that this policy decision would impact the ringgit since the local currency would certainly be in the basket of currencies that the MAS monitors to manage the Singapore dollar's trading band.

**** That Crooked Carrot Is Also Food <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/15/opinion/15iht-edbiswas15.html>
Asit K. Biswas And Leong Ching, New York Times

Although tiny Singapore needs to import more than 90 percent of its food supply, in 2008 it nonetheless threw out some 570 million kilos, or one-fifth of the total — mostly edible scraps.

**** 看《四个门牌一个梦》“挨批” <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/fk/fk111015_014.shtml>
洪铭铧, 联合早报

观众看本地剧,批评多于赞美,负面多于正面,冰冻三尺非一日之寒。

**** 律师公会建议 对嫌犯实行口供录像 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111015_022.shtml>
谢婷婷, 联合早报

本地律师希望政府效仿其他国家的作法,把嫌犯在警局录口供的情形拍摄下来,以减少嫌犯是否曾被警察威迫利诱的争议。总检察署表示愿意进一步探讨这个课题。

**** 陈硕茂将出任国会遴选会委员 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111015_008.shtml>
联合早报

工人党议员陈硕茂将出任国会遴选委员会委员,可参与遴选及提名其他议员出任国会多个委员会的工作。

**** Club Clears The Air Over Guest's Mistaken Impression At Community Event <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_723431.html>
Andy Tan, Cheng San Community Club Management Committee, Straits Times

The review was conducted in a separate room to avoid any influence by contestants and the audience. By doing so, we regret that it gave Mr Lum the impression that we did not wish to mingle with residents at the event and were having tea in a closed air-conditioned room.

In fact, as soon as the review was completed, grassroots adviser and MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC, Mr Ang Hin Kee, and PA chief Yam Ah Mee joined the organisers and participants in the hall for tea.

Were food and drinks bought into the separate rooms for the judges and sponsors?

**** Chen First non-PAP MP Nominated For Committee Of Selection <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/chen-first-non-pap-mp-named-to-sit-on-committee-of-selection.html>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

Worker's Party Member of Parliament Chen Show Mao is among seven MPs nominated to sit on the powerful Committee of Selection. The committee nominates and picks which MPs will sit on committees such as the Public Petitions and Public Accounts Committees.

Chen is among seven MPs named by the Speaker of Parliament and the House is expected to approve the list when Parliament sits net week.

**** Protesters Fail To Occupy Singapore <http://blogs.wsj.com/dispatch/2011/10/15/protesters-fail-to-occupy-singapore/?mod=google_news_blog>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

For a group that boasted defiance, and even designed a profile picture on Facebook with the words, “we will not remain silent,” the organizers of the planned Occupy Raffles Place event in Singapore were very quiet.

**** Apolitical: When Gen Y Marks ‘X’ <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10/apolitical-when-gen-y-marks-x/>
Jewel Philemon, The Online Citizen

**** Backing Local Pages Of Success <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_723674.html>
Straits Times

Home-grown independent bookstore BooksActually has grown from strength to strength. Since opening in 2005 in Ann Siang Road and moving to Yong Siak Street in Tiong Bahru in February, profits have recorded double-digit growth year-on-year.

**** Exit: Page One? <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_723670.html>
Huang Lijie, Straits Times

American bookstore chain Borders exited the scene last month and home-grown art and design bookshop Page One could be next.

It may shutter its VivoCity outlet next March even as the company, with branches in Hong Kong, Taiwan and China, is scheduled to open another two in Beijing in the coming months.

**** Netizens Complain About Circle Line Trains <http://news.insing.com/tabloid/netizens-complain-about-circle-line-trains/id-6ce03e00>
Lianhe Wanbao

Netizens say that Circle Line trains are staying far too long at each station and causing unnecessary delays for passengers.

**** Preferential Treatment During National Service? <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1159639/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

The Government Parliamentary Committee (GPC) for Defence intends to raise in Parliament several defence-related issues highlighted in public recently.

In addition to points in the Defence Ministry's addendum, the GPC will raise issues like perceived preferential treatment during National Service (NS), deferment and disruption policies as well as concerns that children of new citizens or permanent residents give up their citizenship to evade NS.

**** 95%为工作弃大马公民权 去年6千人入籍新加坡 <http://www.nanyang.com/node/390407?tid=643>
南洋商报

我国去年有6000多名大马人放弃公民权入籍新加坡。马来西亚驻新加坡最高专员署劳工参赞梅宝光说,移民新加坡的人数较2009年激增24%,其中以华裔专才占绝大部分。

他接受《南洋商报》专访时说,一般上,放弃大马公民权的蓝领和白领比例是1比3。“移民新加坡的大马白领的比例相当高,他们当中大多是会计师、工程师、教授、执行或主管级人员。”