[MyAppleMenu] Jan 23, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 23 18:59:01 EST 2011

**** Snail Mail Push Alerts <http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/12/snail_mail_push_alerts.html>
Make

Getting iPhone push notifications from objects in your physical world is possible using an Arduino with an Ethernet Shield, a PHP-enabled web server and an iPhone app called Prowl. In this video, I show how to set up a mailbox so that it pings your phone when snail mail is delivered, but it's very easy to adapt this project to whatever suits your needs.

**** 10 Billionth App Prize For UK Woman <http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/9464242>
Press Association

Gail Davis, from Orpington, Kent, said that it was her two daughters who purchased the Paper Glider game from the online store.

Apple, who run the store for its 160 million iPhone, iPod touch and iPad users, have declared Ms Davis the winner of its Countdown to 10 Billion Apps competition meaning she will receive a 10,000 dollar (£6,250) iTunes gift card.

**** Apple’s First Verizon iPhone Commercial Also Touts AT&T: “Two Is Better Than One” <http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/23/apple-verizon-att-iphone-commercial/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

**** Google Latitude Updated, Now Supports iPhone 3G <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/01/google-latitude-updated-supports-iphone-3g/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Joe White, AppAdvice

**** Nuance Makes Dragon Mobile SDK Available For Developers <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/01/nuance-dragon-mobile-sdk-developers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Joe White, AppAdvice

**** Book Review: 'Infinite City: A San Francisco Atlas' By Rebecca Solnit <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-rebecca-solnit-20110123,0,1936281.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Lynell George, Los Angeles Times

We often speak of inhabiting a place — a country, a city or our own small plot of land — but seldom do we pause to deeply consider how that place inhabits us: not just how we define it but also how it defines who we are.

**** Film Criticism Is Dying? Not Online <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703583404576080392163051376.html?mod=WSJ_Books_LS_Books_5>
Roger Ebert, Wall Street Journal

We're actually living in a Golden Age of Film Criticism. More filmgoers are reading more good writing about more films, new and old, than ever before. They are also reading more bad writing, but there you go. Having lost the ability to speak, I've adopted the Internet as my own social network and am amazed almost daily by yet another extraordinary film critic.

**** Norwich, England — A Getaway For Book Lovers <http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/travel/23overnighter-norwich.html?ref=travel>
Rachel B. Doyle, New York Times

Norwich, a two-hour train ride northeast from London, has increasingly become a refuge for writers fleeing the hectic pace of the capital’s publishing scene. At first glance it appears to be just another charming medieval town, with a fantastically preserved castle and a 900-year-old cathedral. But look a little deeper and you’ll notice the wellspring of author readings and literary festivals, featuring recent talks by Booker Prize winners like John Banville and Penelope Lively.

**** How To Write A (Good) Sentence <http://www.slate.com/id/2282086/?from=rss>
Adam Haslett, Financial Times

The trouble with the book isn't the rules themselves, which the authors are sage enough to recognize "the best writers sometimes disregard," but the knock-on effect that their bias for plain statement has tended to have not only on expositional but literary prose.

**** The Love Affair With The Fireplace Cools <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/garden/20fire.html?ref=style>
Christina S. N. Lewis, New York Times

Hard as it may be to believe, the fireplace — long considered a trophy, particularly in a city like New York — is acquiring a social stigma. Among those who aspire to be environmentally responsible, it is joining the ranks of bottled water and big houses.

**** Hospitals: Class C Still Affordable? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/01/hospitals-class-c-still-affordable/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Happy Birthday, Vui Kong <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/1/23/nation/7852813&sec=nation>
Rashvinjeet S.Bedi, The Star

Two years have passed since Sabahan Yong Vui Kong was sentenced to death by a Singapore court for a drug offence. As campaigns to save him continue relentlessly, he has turned to Buddhism, meditates and counsels other inmates and prison wardens.

**** Dying For Other S’poreans, An Alternative? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/dying-for-other-sporeans-an-alternative/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

With a third (going to a half) of the population being foreigners, is there a community of S’poreans in S’pore? One was forming (with the active encouragement of the government) until the government (thinking they could get away with community and low wages) decided to let the foreigners in.

**** “Passion Is The Key” – Tay Ping Hui <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/01/“passion-is-the-key”-–-tay-ping-hui/>
Kirsten Han, The Online Citizen

For those interested in getting involved in politics, “passion is the key”, said MediaCorp artiste and Young PAP (YP) member Tay Ping Hui, when asked about the desired qualities of a politician.

**** Policies Contribute To Poverty Among Women – AWARE <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/01/economically-disadvantaged-women-burdened-by-policies-aware/>
Gillian Seetoh, The Online Citizen

We grow up imbued with the mentality that there is equality and fairness in Singapore’s meritocratic system. Should you fall behind, you are deemed as unsuccessful, and you deserve it, because of your lack of ability and effort. Nevertheless, the government has put in place a social safety net that will help those who have fallen behind.

Or has it?

The notion was challenged by the speakers Mr Leong Sze Hian and Dr Kanwaljit Soin during the Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE) Roundtable on 13th Jan. They showed that government policies have not helped, or may even have contributed to the difficulties of economically disadvantaged women in Singapore.

**** Return Dignity To Singapore’s Less Fortunate And Empower Them! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/01/return-dignity-to-singapore’s-less-fortunate-and-empower-them/>
Jeisilan Sivalingam, The Online Citizen

Talking to these residents made me think about my own life in the 80s. At the time, my family and our neighbours in the rental block had one thing in common: we had hope! There were many opportunities for employment. If you had a good work ethic, you had a good chance of escaping the poverty cycle. Twenty years on, I see these job opportunities diminishing. The residents living in this rental block face a much steeper climb than I did. In the battle to keep poverty at bay, the odds are stacked against them. Let us not forget that we have a duty to help them!

**** 林双吉:新措施即将到位 地铁拥挤五月可改善 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110123_016.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

林双吉日前接受本报专访时,针对乘客对列车越来越拥挤的忧虑做出保证时说:“如果我们可以做得更多(改善措施),我们将会尽全力做到,如果能增加地铁或巴士班次,我们将竭尽所能,这是最优先处理的任务之一。”

他指出,在裕廊东地铁转换站进行的月台增建工程预计今年5月前竣工,新订购的22列地铁列车到时陆续川行,都将有助解决南北与东西线长久以来在裕廊东站面对的交通瓶颈问题。

**** 与张志贤对话消除疑虑 行动党基层马来党员勤备选战 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110123_011.shtml>
联合早报

**** Singapore Gags Citizens’ Criticism, Says Dr M <http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/singapore-gags-citizens-criticism-says-dr-m/>
Boo Su-Lyn, The Malaysian Insider

“They have freedom of speech in Singapore where you can say what you like, so long as it is approving of the government,” Dr Mahathir told reporters after launching the movement Viva Palestina Malaysia here today.

The former prime minister was responding to Singapore Berita Harian readers who were reportedly unhappy with him for claiming that Singaporean Malays were marginalised.

**** What If These Rules Applied To You? <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/01/23/what-if-these-rules-applied-to-you/>
Funny Little World

As a Singaporean, I am utterly ashamed that such people exist in my country. I don’t understand how they could possibly believe that they are justified, or even entitled, to think and behave in such a manner.

**** Control Of Religion In S'pore Must Change With Times <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4529-control-of-religion-in-spore-must-change-with-times>
Muhd Shamin, Singapore Democratic Party

Under the PAP, however, the Government actively controls the practice of religious faiths by appointing religious leaders. In Islam, for example, the Mufti acts as the representative of the Muslim community in Singapore. He is appointed by the President of the Republic of Singapore who is not a Muslim. Why is he not elected or chosen by the Muslim community?

**** To Mr Lee Kuan Yew (On Your House) <http://diluted-enigma.blogspot.com/2011/01/to-mr-lee-kuan-yew-on-your-house.html>
Insights, Interests, Intelligence

**** Chee Asks About YOG During Walkabout, Bala Evades <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4531-chee-meets-balakrishnan-during-walkabout-asks-about-yog>
Singapore Democratic Party

"I'm talking about the YOG and how you mishandled it so badly," Dr Chee clarified.

"We'll talk about it at the appropriate time," Dr Balakrishnan evaded.

"I'm sure we will," Dr Chee assured before resuming his rounds.

**** I've Not Decided On GE Date Yet: PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1106434/1/.html>
Evelyn Choo, Channel NewsAsia

"It can be next year, until February. I mean, we haven't decided yet. It's not likely to be on the same day as the presidential election. But other than that, there are many possibilities. So I think when it comes, it will come. There's always a lot of excitement. I don't think it is part of my job to add to that excitement."

He also said he has yet to receive the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee report. All eyes are on the report, which draws up Singapore's electoral boundaries for the General Election.

**** Prices Of Food Items Should Stabilise: PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1106429/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

Speaking at a community event in Teck Ghee on Sunday, he said the recent price increases were due to weather woes in countries such as China and Australia.

**** Lee Kuan Yew Urges Muslims To 'Be Less Strict' <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/51920>
Philip Lim, AFP

Singapore's founding father Lee Kuan Yew has urged local Muslims to "be less strict on Islamic observances" to aid integration and the city-state's nation-building process.

"I think we were progressing very nicely until the surge of Islam came and if you asked me for my observations, the other communities have easier integration -- friends, intermarriages and so on..." he stated.

"I think the Muslims socially do not cause any trouble, but they are distinct and separate," Lee added, calling on the community to "be less strict on Islamic observances."

**** The <i>Truth</i> About How Long The PAP Will Last... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/01/truth-about-how-long-will-pap-last.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

This collection of myths released just before elections are held is a feeble attempt to persuade Singaporeans to continue supporting the man and his ideas..... the longer the PAP cling on to these so-called 'hard-truths', the faster it will be voted out....because a growing number of Singaporeans can see through the propaganda and know what needs to be done to have a better future for themselves and their families.

**** Gay Member Of Parliament? OK, Says MM Lee <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/01/23/gay-member-of-parliament-ok-says-mm-lee/>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew has revealed he has no problems with having homosexuals in Parliament.

Mr Lee, however, was more ambiguous about whether same-sex marriages should be allowed, or if gays should be given rights to adopt children.

**** Quick Buck, At Thy Neighbour's Expense <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110123-0000394/Quick-buck,-at-thy-neighbours-expense>
Lee Siew Peng, Today

I agree with Jacinta Lee that en bloc and all speculators should be taxed heavily to disincentivise the greed that exists in the market today.

In fact, another outcome of the en bloc phenomenom has been to push up the price of landed property to astonishing levels - because property owners now realise there is no long-term stability to living in apartments which can be put up for collective sale at any time.