[MyAppleMenu] Jan 22, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 22 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** The Mystery Of Spontaneously Installed Growl <http://www.macworld.com/article/154862/2011/01/growl_installation.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Derik DeLong, Macworld

Growl is known to many a Mac user, but its sudden and surprising appearance in some Macs has caused a stir.

**** TestFlight Makes iOS App Testing A Lot Easier <http://www.macworld.com/article/157311/2011/01/testflight.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

The service leverages some of the wireless app installation features that Apple added in iOS 4, which were designed mainly for in-house enterprise apps. TestFlight acts as a bridge between the developer, the tester, and the Apple Developer Center.

**** Transmit 4 Improves On File Transfers <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11911?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

Basic file transfer is no longer rocket science, and if you have relatively minimal needs, nearly any file transfer client will suffice. But if you’re looking for power and flexibility beyond what some other programs can offer, you won’t go wrong by checking out Transmit.

**** Review: Wallee iPad Mount (Verdict: Killer) <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/review-wallee-ipad-mount-verdict-killer/9242?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** How To Create A Portable Hackintosh On A USB Thumb Drive <http://lifehacker.com/5739259/how-to-create-a-portable-hackintosh-on-a-usb-thumb-drive>
Will Fancher, Lifehacker

People put linux on their flash drives all the time. They also get hackintosh on their hard drives quite often. However, it'd be nice to be able to get the same live experience we get with Linux using OS X. With a distribution of OS X 10.6.2 called iPortable Snow, we can.

**** Review: Alfred App For Mac OS X <http://isource.com/2011/01/21/review-alfred-app-for-mac-os-x/>
iSource

Alfred is slowly but surely melding with the rest of my machine — not because it’s any less interesting or useful two weeks in, but because it’s so effective and feels so natural that it might as well be part of the operating system — and isn’t that what the best help is like? So good you could simply take it for granted?

**** Apple App Store Hits 10 Billion App Download Mark <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9205918/Apple_App_Store_hits_10_billion_app_download_mark?source=rss_operatingsystems>
Bob Brown, Networld World

**** Bonus <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/22/bonus-blake-morrison-poem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Blake Morrison, The Guardian

**** Taller When Prone By Les Murray – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/22/taller-prone-les-murray-poems-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Paul Batchelor, The Guardian

Murray's best is intimidatingly good; but sprawl is as sprawl does, and this remains a generous, celebratory volume.

**** Incoming! Or, Why We Should Stop Worrying And Learn To Love The Meteorite By Ted Nield <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/22/incoming-worrying-meteorite-ted-nield?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Tim Radford, The Guardian

Like an old friend, a meteorite may drop in any time and may occasionally break something but – so far – has never hurt anybody. Also like an old friend, a meteorite has a story to tell of long relationships, faraway bust-ups and very long, circuitous journeys to get here.

**** How To Change The World: Tales Of Marx And Marxism By Eric Hobsbawm – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/22/change-world-marx-eric-hobsbawm-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Stefan Collini, The Guardian

Perhaps the truth is that Marxism has, despite its founder's famous proclamation, always contributed more to understanding the world than to changing it. Certainly, Eric Hobsbawm has done more than most to further that understanding. And if we ask what his own final view may be about the prospects for changing the world, then we are, happily, still in a position to adapt Zhou Enlai's answer about the French revolution – that it's too early to say.

**** We, Robots <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/books/review/Lehrer-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jonah Lehrer, New York Times

If the Internet of 1995 was a postmodern playhouse, allowing individuals to engage in unbridled expression, Turkle describes it today as a corporate trap, a ball and chain that keeps us tethered to the tiny screens of our cellphones, tapping out trite messages to stay in touch. She summarizes her new view of things with typical eloquence: “We expect more from technology and less from each other.”

**** The Philosophical Novel <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/books/review/Ryerson-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
James Ryerson, New York Times

Can a novelist write philosophically? Even those novelists most commonly deemed “philosophical” have sometimes answered with an emphatic no.

**** The Forger’s Story <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5905c640-2359-11e0-8389-00144feab49a.html#axzz1BleXEjUQ>
John Gapper, Financial Times

For nearly three decades, Landis has visited museums across the US in various guises and tried to donate paintings he has forged. As well as Father Scott, he has posed as “Steven Gardiner” among other aliases. He never asks for money, although museums have often hosted meals for him and made small gifts. His only stipulation is that he is donating in his parents’ names – often his actual father, Lieutenant Commander Arthur Landis Jr, a former US Navy officer.

**** China's Hottest Cuisine <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703959104576082772857488108.html>
Mitch Moxley, Wall Street Journal

Yes, it's spicy. But what exactly makes Sichuan food so special?

**** The Business Of Having Babies <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110122-0000119/The-business-of-having-babies>
Crispina Robert, Today

What if money is not the force at work here?

**** Some Parties Do Not Have Web Guidelines <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110122-0000125/Some-parties-do-not-have-Web-guidelines>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

In spite of the general belief among political parties that the Internet will play an active role in the coming General Election, a check with some revealed that several do not have specific guidelines on members' Web etiquette.

**** Encourage Gender Equality And The Babies Will Come <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_626919.html>
Laurelle He, Straits Times

**** Singapore's Lee Wants Home Demolished <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iHOAAzkL6ySz9MxTD3VXJDjCO1WQ?docId=CNG.32fe8012cd2fb0b4a8b0471a3617b2f4.401>
AFP

Singapore's elder statesman Lee Kuan Yew wants his family home torn down for redevelopment after he dies instead of being turned into a historical shrine.

In excerpts from a new book launched Friday, Lee said he had already instructed the government to destroy the British colonial-era bungalow situated off the premier Orchard Road shopping belt after his death.

**** Birth Rates Not Rising Soon <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/1/22/columnists/insightdownsouth/7841290&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

**** Reprieve But Living On Borrowed Time <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/2011/01/22/reprieve-but-living-on-borrowed-time/>
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

Yong may be guilty as charged.

What is not so clear is if the circumstances leading him to the death trap are as clear as the law that makes no distinction if he lives or dies.

**** "Would You Die For Each Other?" <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-read-this-question-in-straits-times.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

To the PAP ministers I would say - "What about you? Would you even take a pay cut?"

But then we already know the answer. The last 20 years have made it clear.

**** A Road Through 'Peanut Butter' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110122-0000128/A-road-through-peanut-butter>
Venessa Lee, Today

The Marina Coastal Expressway (MCE), a 5km, 10-lane artery through which will flow the traffic lifeblood of the new Marina Bay downtown, runs through land reclaimed in the 1970s and 1980s. There are, said Mr Chuah Han Leong, director of the MCE with the Land Transport Authority, "very thick and deep layers of soft marine clay present. The ground is like toothpaste."

This soft terrain is partly why capital costs have ballooned some 70 per cent from initial estimates to $4.3 billion today, with about 10 per cent of the new expressway completed.

**** PAP At Tail End Of Interviewing Potential GE Candidates <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1106322/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

Senior minister Goh Chok Tong says the People's Action Party (PAP) is at the tail end of interviewing potential candidates for the next General Election.