[MyAppleMenu] Jan 2, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 2 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** MacBook Air 11″ <http://mattgemmell.com/2011/01/01/macbook-air-11>
Matt Legend Gemmell

If you’re tempted by the 11-inch model’s portability but are worried about whether you could get your work done, put your concerns aside – it’s an excellent machine and more than up to the job.

**** How My iPhone Made Me Miss My First Flight Of The Year <http://www.helmutgranda.com/2011/01/01/how-my-iphone-made-me-miss-my-first-flight-of-the-year/>
Helmut Granda

We had been victims of the software glitch.

**** Best Mac Email Client: 6 On Test <http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-mac-email-client-6-on-test-915568?src=rss&attr=all>
Ian Betteridge, TechRadar

That leaves us with one winner: Apple's Mail. It's free, works with virtually every kind of server going, is integrated well into OS X, and has plenty of options for handling accounts, spam, and filters.

MyAppleMenu Reader

**** A Vow For 2011: No Cheap Chicken <http://www.salon.com/food/ethics_of_eating/index.html?story=/food/francis_lam/2011/01/01/cheap_chicken_manifesto>
Francis Lam, Salon

So this, then, is my omnivore's dilemma: Which is more important to me? To stop having my money support chicken that is mass-produced at unbelievable scale, poisoning the earth and water for hundreds of miles, that is treated brutally, that goes through a disassembly line so fast and furious that it injures 1 out of every 3 poorly paid workers who works on it? Or to keep supporting Mr. Charles, to share in his chicken, to know what his work means to him? To have that chance to meet the many Charles Gabriels, the taco truck cooks and the noodle shop owners and all the other working-class cooks whose cuisines I adore and whose stories I want to hear and help tell?

**** Meet The Twiblings <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/magazine/02babymaking-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine>
Melanie Thernstrom, New York Times

How four women (and one man) conspired to make two babies.

**** America's Forgotten City <http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/cahokia/hodges-text>
Glenn Hodges, Photographs By Don Burmeister And Ira Block, National Geographic Magazine

Cahokia was born with a bang and died of unknown causes.

**** My Family’s Flop <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/opinion/02george.html?_r=1>
Jennifer George, New York Times

I was 12 when my parents’ musical opened and closed. After a decade in the works, it lasted a fleeting seven performances.

**** For Sushi Chain, Conveyor Belts Carry Profit <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/31/business/global/31sushi.html?ref=technology>
Hiroko Tabuchi, New York Times

The Kura “revolving sushi” restaurant chain has no Michelin stars, but it has succeeded where many of Japan’s more celebrated eateries fall short: turning a profit in a punishing economy.

**** Updated UBS Study: Singaporeans’ Wages Continue To Slide <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/01/02/updated-ubs-study-singaporeans-wages-continue-to-slide/>
Temasek Review

**** 新加坡迎大选 谁来接班李显龙 <http://news.163.com/11/0102/01/6PBUPATQ00014AED.html>
马晶, 新京报

**** Does PAP Love Singapore <i>Or</i> Singaporeans? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/01/01/does-pap-love-singapore-or-singaporeans/>
Temasek Review

**** Prices Of HDB Resale Flats Still Going Up <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_619860.html>
Jessica Cheam, Straits Times

Fresh data obtained by The Straits Times from three major property agencies showed overall median prices climbing across almost all flat types in November, compared to HDB's latest third quarter statistics.

When contacted, the Housing Board (HDB) said that it was unable to comment further on the resale prices ahead of the release of the flash estimates on Jan 3.

**** Electricity Up: U-Save Enough? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/01/electricity-up-u-save-enough/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Unpublished SFD Letter To ST Forum On ISA Torture Query <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/01/unpublished-sfd-letter-to-st-forum-on-isa-torture-query/>
James Gomez, Singaporeans For Democracy, The Online Citizen

In particular, SFD would like MHA to specifically respond to the charges of torture and manhandling of Mr Fernandez that were detailed in the ST report dated 23 December 2010 ST report (‘Former ISA detainee wants to sue Govt for damages’).

SFD is concerned about these acts of torture by the Singapore government against prisoners detained without trial.

**** Not For The Faint Hearted <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/01/not-for-faint-hearted.html>
Singapore Notes