[MyAppleMenu] Jan 1, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 1 18:59:01 EST 2011

**** Why The iPad Is Destroying The Future Of Journalism <http://measuringmeasures.com/blog/2010/12/31/why-the-ipad-is-destroying-the-future-of-journalism.html>
Bradford Cross, Measuring Measures

The iPad is a delightful device, but it can't salvage the existing model for journalism.

**** UltraEdit Makes The Leap To Mac OS X <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/31/ultraedit-makes-the-leap-to-mac-os-x/>
Michael Terretta, TUAW

UltraEdit for Mac was officially released this month. A favorite of Windows developers, UltraEdit was first released in 1994 as one of the earliest "Notepad" replacement text editors for programmers on Windows.

**** iPhone Alarms May Fail To Activate On New Year's Day <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/31/iphone-alarms-may-fail-to-activate-on-new-years-day/>
Chris Rawson, TUAW

If you're using your iPhone or iPod touch as your primary alarm clock, it might be time to reconsider.

**** Studio Artist 4 Review <http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/studio_artist_4_review>
David Biedny, Mac Life

In a world studded with Photoshop-style image editors and Painter-like natural-media tools, it’s really tough to find a new kind of artistic software that brings something truly unique and innovative to the table. But the little-known Studio Artist 4 totally pulls it off, delivering a one-of-a-kind creative application that can craft visuals like nothing else—if you’re prepared to spend some time mastering its intricacies.

MyAppleMenu Reader

**** The London Train By Tessa Hadley - Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/01/tessa-hadley-london-train-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Susanna Rustin, Guardian

By far the most interesting feature of Tessa Hadley's carefully sculpted novel is the way she enters so completely into her characters' private worlds of thought and action. The minds of Paul and Cora, the male and female centres of the novel's two mirroring halves, are so fully occupied by this most astute and sympathetic of writers, that the reader hardly questions their weirdest and least wise moves.

**** Charlie Chaplin's Film Music <http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/jan/01/carl-davis-charlie-chaplin-soundtracks?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Carl Davis, Guardian

Chaplin must have faced the most terrible crisis. Would the public accept the tramp if he spoke? Chaplin decided to keep him mute and instead created a soundtrack using recorded sound effects and a fabulous score. Now, he was really in control of the music and he knew how to use it.

**** Snowdrops By AD Miller – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/01/snowdrops-a-d-miller-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
John O'Connell, Guardian

"In Russia there are no business stories," declares one character in this punchy debut set in Moscow, where its author worked for three years as a correspondent for the Economist. "And there are no politics stories. There are no love stories. There are only crime stories." This would have been news to Tolstoy and Chekhov. But times have changed, and Russia's position on the world stage is such that you can say whatever you like about it, thanks to a widespread willingness to believe the very worst.

**** Diversion <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/01/diversion-ruth-fainlight-saturday-poem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Ruth Fainlight, Guardian

**** "Geographies Of Mars": Why Are We So Obsessed With Mars? <http://www.salon.com/books/nonfiction/index.html?story=/books/feature/2010/12/31/geographies_of_mars>
Adam Kirsch, Salon

We've been looking for life on the Red Planet since the 19th century. A new book explores our fascination.

**** The Road Into The Open <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703766704576009810781181564.html?mod=WSJ_Books_LS_Books_2>
Pico Iyer, Wall Street Journal

Which of us has not entertained that deliciously seditious notion: to do a Gauguin? To slip away for a while from everything that sounds so important—a steady job, a settled home, a regular salary—and go off in search of adventure, restoration, fun? There is, after all, more and more to escape these days: The average American spends eight hours a day in front of a screen; the average American teenager, according to a Nielsen survey, sends 2,272 text messages a month (or 70 every day). At the end of the last century, the average Westerner was already taking in as many images in 24 hours as a Victorian saw in a lifetime. So why not drop everything and go walkabout, all the way to the Arctic Circle? Or such, at least, is the implication of a classic Finnish novel in which the wake-up call to a truer life comes in the unlikely form of a runaway hare.

**** 反对党何必高谈团结? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110101_010.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

**** Spare Young People The Premium Shock <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_619427.html>
Trent Ng, Straits Times

I am going to start my full-time university studies this year and will not be able to contribute to my CPF account until I graduate and land a job. When my CPF account runs dry, I would be asked to pay for my premiums in cash. As I do not wish to go through this hassle, I have decided to opt out till I get a full-time job.

**** 港议员谴星迫害法轮功 吁国际关注 <http://soundofhope.org/programs/162/177803-1.asp>
林秀宜, 希望之声

**** Three Innovation Takeaways From Asia <http://www.businessweek.com/managing/content/dec2010/ca20101230_857211.htm>
Scott Anthony, Harvard Business Review

**** Welcome To The New Singapore <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/1/1/focus/7712093&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

The recent surge of nudity, streaking and promiscuity, signs of a more liberal generation, has everyone scratching their heads in this once prudish city.

**** Murderous Youth <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2011/01/murderous-youth.html>
Singapore Life & Times

**** Singapore: Economy Bounces Back, But…? <http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2010/12/31/singapore-economy-bounces-back-but/>
Mukul G. Asher, East Asia Forum

More broadly, the extent to which Singapore succeeds in addressing the demographic and productivity challenges will be critical to the economic and political outlook in the medium and longer term.

**** A Response To A Wish <http://matilahsingapura.blogspot.com/2010/12/response-to-wish.html?zx=6cc157ea06c31f83>
Matilah Singapura

**** My New Year Wish <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-new-year-wish.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News