[MyAppleMenu] Apr 28, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 28 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Homing In On Apple's Location-data Response <http://www.macworld.com/article/159516/2011/04/location_opinion_part2.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

The best I can say is that I, personally, am satisfied with the answers Apple has given and the manner in which the company has ultimately handled the problem; while it might have taken a few days, Apple has produced a straightforward document that answered the common questions and lays out exactly how they plan to address the situation going forward.

**** How Apple Devices Saved Me Thousands On My New Car <http://www.macworld.com/article/159494/2011/04/apple_versus_auto_dealer.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

For a few years, I dreamed of buying a car with a snazzy nav and movie-playing system. But when it came time for us to buy, we didn’t get either the navigation system or the entertainment system. And Apple was the reason.

**** How To Create And Use Symlinks On A Mac <http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-create-and-use-symlinks-on-a-mac/>
Weldon Dodd, GigaOM

**** Tackling Stubborn System Settings When Using Remote Desktop <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20058001-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Devoting Attention To A Child And A Phone, All At Once <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/technology/personaltech/28smart.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Bob Tedeschi, New York Times

**** Apple Store Back Up, White iPhone Now Available <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/28/apple-store-back-up-white-iphone-now-available/>
Megan Lavey, TUAW

**** Microsoft Updates OneNote Mobile For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/159521/2011/04/onenote_1_1_iphone.html#lsrc.rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

OneNote Mobile 1.1 brings a handful of key improvements, including a streamlined signup process for new users, the ability to e-mail notes, and a redesigned interface to make it easier to switch between notebooks. Sync operations and overall app performance should also be a bit snappier.

**** Apple Approves JavaScript iOS Games That Don't Use A Browser <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/28/apple-approves-javascript-ios-games-that-bypass-uiwebview/>
Chris Ward, TUAW

**** Why Instapaper Free Is Taking An Extended Vacation <http://www.marco.org/2011/04/28/removed-instapaper-free>
Marco Arment

**** White iPhone 4 Creates Long Lines In Beijing <http://www.macworld.com/article/159532/2011/04/white_iphone_china.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Michael Kan, IDG News Service

**** Home Sweet Wheels <http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/lifestyle/paul-markillie/home-sweet-wheels?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MoreintelligentlifeTotal+%28moreintelligentlife.com+-+total%29>
Paul Markillie, Intelligent Life

When I lived in a smart flat in Hong Kong I drove a tatty Saab, while a guy I knew who lived in a pokey flat drove a Rolls-Royce. You could not drive your flat around, he reasoned, so the Roller was a better way to impress people. But his premise is not strictly true. Increasingly you find homes being driven on highways and byways, usually holding up the traffic. They are called camper vans.

**** Boredom: A Lively History By Peter Toohey: Review <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/8453943/Boredom-A-Lively-History-by-Peter-Toohey-review.html>
Matthew Sturgis, Telegraph

"Only boring people get bored.” That at least is what I was told regularly throughout a childhood of long car journeys, wet Sunday afternoons, and tedious family excursions.

But now I discover – after reading Peter Toohey’s “lively” history of boredom – that it’s only people with defective dopamine receptors who get bored. Or rather they get more bored more often. (Dopamine is the neurotransmitter that produces a sense of joy and excitement in the brain; when levels drop, time seems to slow, life loses its savour, and boredom sets in.)

**** The Art Of Physical Criticism <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/apr/27/physical-criticism-books?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Sam Jordison, The Guardian

>From glue and scissors to tearing or throwing, how do you vent your frustration with substandard books? And have you ever saved a precious tome for the best possible conditions?

**** The New Geopolitics Of Food <http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/04/25/the_new_geopolitics_of_food?page=full>
Lester R. Brown, Foreign Policy

>From the Middle East to Madagascar, high prices are spawning land grabs and ousting dictators. Welcome to the 21st-century food wars.

**** What "The Cosby Show" Taught Me About America <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/04/27/immigrant_cosby_show_open2011/index.html>
Kate O'meara, Salon

I was a Russian immigrant desperately missing home. Then I met the family who made me feel like I belonged.

**** The Eerie Silence By Paul Davies – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/apr/28/eerie-silence-paul-davies-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Nicholas Lezard, The Guardian

Is there anybody out there or are we really alone in the universe?

**** The Joy Of Stats <http://www.tabletmag.com/news-and-politics/65845/the-joy-of-stats/>
Marc Tracy, Tablet

The brainy, numbers-crunching Jewish fans who’ve revolutionized pro sports and realized every geek fan’s dream are celebrated as heroes at the annual MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.

**** High-stake Move Could See No Opposition MPs In House: Low <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110428-0000393/High-stake-move-could-see-no-Opposition-MPs-in-House--Low>
Tanya Fong, Today

At a press conference held by the WP after filing their nomination papers yesterday, Mr Low played down the significance of the team's stellar cast which included himself, WP chairman Sylvia Lim and prized catch Chen Show Mao. Still, he said: "The stake is high, the risk is very high. The correct thing to do of course is to stay put in Hougang, hopefully my party chairman will lead a team and win a GRC."

"But I believe that is only wishful thinking, based on the way the PAP gerrymander at every election with the re-drawing of boundaries."

**** 'We Are Not A Suicide Squad' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110428-0000388/We-are-not-a-suicide-squad>
Christopher Toh, Today

Many might view the battle for the new Moulmein-Kallang Group Representation Constituency (GRC) as one-sided, especially with two heavyweights leading the People's Action Party's (PAP) charge.

But the Workers' Party candidates contesting the GRC say they're not a "suicide squad". "I don't think it's suicide," said WP member Frieda Chan, 35, a social worker. "Suicide happens when you want to end it all and it's hopeless. We're not fighting against no hope at all."

**** Chiam Won't Let Go Of Mas Selamat Issue <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110428-0000387/Chiam-wont-let-go-of-Mas-Selamat-issue>
Lin Yanqin, Today

Mr Chiam, who spoke at a walkabout in Bishan after Nomination Day proceedings yesterday, said: "You cannot get away with it with just a simple apology, and claim your innocence."

**** WP’s Aljunied Team Likely To Make GRC Breakthrough <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6638>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Even if people at present don’t wish to have a change in government, they want to see more checks and balances, and closer scrutiny and debate of government policies. People in general no longer want the government to have a blank cheque in pushing through legislation. They want more debate, more accountability, and more balance.

**** One Of The Nicest Campaign Videos So Far <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/04/one-of-the-nicest-campaign-videos-so-far.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown

I have to say, SDP, that's a really nicely done campaign video. Best so far from any party.

**** Could We Have A 'Freak' Result? <http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC110428-0000384/Could-we-have-a-freak-result?>
Eugene K B Tan, Today

Reform Party leader Kenneth Jeyaretnam yesterday dismissed the idea; PM Lee did not go down the route of fomenting anxiety over such an outcome, but said it was "good" to have a strong contest to "make Singaporeans realise more what is at stake at this election ... it has very serious consequences".

Indeed, the Singaporean voter has not been callous. In the 1991, 1997 and 2001 GEs, although the PAP was returned to Government on Nomination Day, voters still gave the PAP a credible mandate on Polling Day. Besides, playing up the fear factor of an upset may leave a negative taste with educated voters.

**** The Steve Tan Debacle: Singaporeans Deserve A Full Account <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/the-steve-tan-debacle-singaporeans-deserve-a-full-account/>
The Online Citizen

After spending a significant amount of media oxygen querying whether Worker’s Party (WP) leader Low Thia Kiang had done his “due diligence” on star candidate Chen Show Mao, this is the most embarrassing and emphatic last minute candidate withdrawal in recent election memory.

This will now be exacerbated by another unintended consequence of the Steve Tan debacle: the fluke entry of a complete unknown into Parliament, Dr Chia Shi Lu. Ironically, Dr Chia is the only candidate of any party not introduced to the public to date, and yet has had the good fortune to have been fielded in the only uncontested GRC in Singapore.

**** Shambles In Tanjong Pagar, Oiled Machine In Yuhua <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/shambles-in-tanjong-pagar-oiled-machine-in-yuhua/>
Yawning Bread

I hope my inside story gives you a glimpse of what is required and the immense difference between well-oiled and experienced parties like the SDP, the Workers’ Party and perhaps the NSP on the one hand, and last-minute bean sprouts on the other. The latter make the news because disasters are more newsworthy than smooth, silent successes. But in the case of successes, lack of reporting tends to invisibilise the careful planning and hard work behind a political campaign.

**** It Was A Personal Decision Which I Discussed With My Wife: Steve Tan <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110428-0000379/It-was-a-personal-decision-which-I-discussed-with-my-wife--Steve-Tan>
Tan Yo-Hinn, Today

When asked by Today if his withdrawal was related to allegations about him that have appeared online, Mr Tan, the Young NTUC executive secretary who married Sarah Ng in June last year, said: "My conscience is clear. My wife is fully aware of this and I have her support."

Asked if the allegations had led to any legal action, he said: "There was never any criminal conviction or disciplinary action involved. You can check the records ... I am wondering why all this only started to come up in the past two days. These allegations are not true."

**** Sorry, Something's Come Up And We Need To Make A Change: PM <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110428-0000370/Sorry,-somethings-come-up-and-we-need-to-make-a-change--PM>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

The PAP pointed out that some Opposition parties also introduce their candidates at the eleventh hour.

"Somebody was introduced at 7.30am (on Nomination Day)," quipped Mr Lee, referring to the Reform Party's team for Ang Mo Kio GRC. "(But) Chia Shi-Lu is a known quantity, he has (been) introduced, he's seen and he will prove himself."

Asked if Dr Chia's admission into Parliament would instead fuel criticism about GRCs, Mr Lee defended the system and said it allowed for minority representation.

**** Singapore's Lee Re-elected MP Uncontested <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jej4Ja-UG04NXSSEbEWdjPirVQLQ?docId=CNG.12890d5f3796f0ec93e813fed2f0c8c5.6f1>
AFP

Singapore's founding father Lee Kuan Yew was re-elected to parliament on Wednesday without any contest as the ruling party braces for a stiff challenge from the opposition during May 7 polls.

**** Family Of Death Row Inmate In Singapore To Submit Clemency Plea Tomorrow <http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90851/7362909.html>
People's Daily

The family of a Malaysian death row inmate in Singapore said they would submit a clemency plea to Singapore president SR Nathan on Wednesday in another attempt to seek for a sentence reduction.

They had insisted that he was a victim framed to traffic drugs into Singapore and were pleading for the Singaporean authority to reinvestigate the case and review the death sentence.

**** Why May 7 May Be Singapore's Watershed Election <http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/asiapac/stories/201104/s3201866.htm>
ABC

"These Singaporeans want economic and social stability to continue in Singapore, that's what matters the most. And this does not mean that the Opposition cannot play a greater role in national politics, but the goal of all parties should be to sustain and improve life in Singapore, but not to destroy what we have achieved."

**** Singapore Poised For Unusual Poll <http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article1774036.ece>
P. S. Suryanarayana, The Hindu

Commenting on the prospect of an unprecedented competition this time, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong promised a “response” to this “challenge” which he described as a contest “for real”. He leads the slate of PAP candidates in one of 14 contested GRCs. It was not the first time, however, that the PAP was not returned to power on the nomination day.

**** Yaw Steps Up In Hougang <http://satayclub.net/2011/04/yaw-steps-up-in-hougang/>
Nigel Tan, Satayclub.net

Mr Yaw has been involved in the WP for some time and is one of Mr Low’s key lieutenants. He has served as a legislative assistant to Mr Low as well as a town councillor in Hougang. He is the holder of an MBA degree from the University of Western Sydney as well as a political science degree from NUS.

While it is by no means certain that Mr Yaw will retain the seat, he will be riding on a surge of pro-opposition sentiment – and nowhere is this stronger than in the WP fortress of Hougang. Mr Low has been known to be devastatingly effective at working the ground, making it a point to attend all funeral wakes in his ward. In the 2006 election, he trounced the PAP candidate, obtaining over 63 per cent of the vote.

**** Lee Kuan Yew: Singaporeans Blame Immigrants For Rising Prices Of HDB Flats As They Do Not Like ‘Waiting’ <http://singaporege2011.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/lee-kuan-yew-singaporeans-blame-immigrants-for-rising-prices-of-hdb-flats-as-they-do-not-like-waiting/>
Singapore Election 2011

In a sign that the PAP leaders are increasingly out of touch with the ground, PAP’s paramount leader Lee Kuan Yew now calls on Singaporeans to buy resale flats if they are unwilling to wait for the new flats to be built.

**** It Was A Personal Attack, And Wrong <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_661948.html>
Jason Wong, Straits Times

In a fair democracy, everyone - as long as one is not a criminal - should be given an equal opportunity to run for a seat in Parliament. It is then up to the electorate to decide if the candidate is the right choice.

The personal attacks on People's Action Party's Ms Tin Pei Ling, Workers' Party's Mr Chen Show Mao and now Dr Wijeysingha were uncalled for.

**** A Secret Voters Deserved To Know <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_661947.html>
Edmund Augustine Loh, Straits Times

If the SDP wishes to provide a credible alternative to the incumbent, the starting point for it is to hold as high a standard in transparency, integrity and honesty as the incumbent.

Didn't SDP already replied directly to the question posed?

**** Another View Of Freak Election Results <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_661927.html>
See De Liang, Straits Times

For some, the only way to express their unhappiness is through the ballot box. Thus, electoral results fall prey to decisions made over years of simmering discontent, obscured by the highly emotive atmosphere of electoral campaigning.

I am not trying to dismiss the legitimacy of such votes but I must say the fear of having freak results could have been averted.

**** Drawing A Line Between Privacy And Politics <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_661929.html>
Nicolas Sambor, Straits Times

I fail to comprehend how one's sexual orientation, which is a personal and private matter, should exert any influence over one's ability as a politician.

The furore over the 'gay agenda' would not have happened if Dr Vivian Balakrishnan and the PAP had not suggested a tenuous correlation between Dr Wijeysingha's personal and public interests.

**** The Good And Bad On Nomination Day <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/04/good-and-bad-on-nomination-day.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

This is Uncle Yap’s version and he had recommended that the case be brought before the court of law for a hearing and judgement. There are definitely many ambiguities and doubtful areas that Ng Teck Siong’s team could raise.

**** PAP Need Not Have Resorted To 'Smear Tactics' <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_661928.html>
Vincent Tan, Straits Times

This detraction is unhealthy, unproductive and disconcerting. My vote as a resident of the Holland-Bukit Timah GRC hangs in the balance.

**** Singapore Ruling Party Faces Spirited Polls Challenge <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/56758>
AFP

Despite leading Singapore out of a recession in 2009 to a record economic growth of 14.5 percent last year, the PAP is grappling with voter complaints over concerns including rising inflation and competition for jobs from foreign workers.

"This is arguably the most competitive election in Singapore’s history," Bridget Welsh, a political science professor at the Singapore Management University, told AFP. "The different parties in the opposition have a fighting chance to win," Welsh said, but added that the opposition faced difficult terrain "given the historic dominance of the PAP politically and control of the campaign."

**** MAS Sees Singapore GDP Growth At Higher End Of 4-6 Pct Forecast <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/27/singapore-economy-review-idUSL3E7FR0J820110427>
Kevin Lim, Reuters

Singapore's economy is likely to grow at the higher end of the official 4-6 percent forecast this year, while inflation will ease after peaking at 5.2 percent in the first quarter, the country's central bank said on Wednesday.

**** Singapore Election Upset? <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3152&Itemid=181>
Jon Russell, Asia Sentinel

The thing about Tin Pei Ling is that all she ever appears to say is how much she understand Singaporeans — the old and the young — and how in tune with their needs she is. She doesn't know what those needs are, though.

In response to Ling's greyness, Seah has emerged as a straight-talking young woman who has impressed Singaporeans through her dealings with the media, responses to question and comparative substance.

**** What's Wrong With HDB Prices? <http://8percentpa.blogspot.com/2011/04/whats-wrong-with-hdb-prices.html>
Eight Percent Per Annum

Singaporeans are probably more unhappy with uneven distribution of fruits of labour, policy blunders that let to poorer quality and service and the broken 5C dream. More so than just rising HDB prices itself.

**** Dr Vivian: Let’s Not Talk About Video Anymore <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/dr-vivian-let-not-talk-video-anymore-173058828.html>
Faris Mokhtar, Yahoo!

Speaking to the media on Wednesday, the Minister said there is "no need" to further discuss a video which shows Singapore Democratic Party's (SDP) candidate, Dr Vincent Wijeysingha, attending a forum which discussed on gay rights.

On the other hand, Chee pointed out that there has been a “very stern rebuke online” about the way Dr Balakrishnan brought up the issue on the video.

However, the SDP chief welcomed the minister’s statements that he will not pursue the issue come campaign period. Chee was speaking at a separate press conference on Wednesday afternoon where it unveiled its party’s manifesto.

**** Just Look At The Scary Numbers <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/04/just-look-at-scary-numbers.html>
Singapore Notes

It's not like Mah does not know that there's a whole lot of senior people who are going be broke at retirement time. But his solution is guaranteed to make your blood boil: "Move into your children's flat and rent out your old one."

**** It's Honourable To Screw Up <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/04/its-honourable-to-screw-up.html>
Singapore Notes

First his father said it was honourable to lock up people without trial. Now PM Lee Hsien Loong says it's perfectly honourable to screw up a national election by swapping candidates at the last minute like changing soiled underwear.

Chia Shi-Lu, 40, who morphed from zero to Member of Parliament in matter of minutes was asked if he felt like a football player introduced late in the match. You decide whether there's honour in his reply, "It doesn't mean someone who comes in late is of lesser value."

**** It All Begins With Political Apathy <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/it-all-begins-with-political-apathy/>
Loh Peiying, Yawning Bread

Things in Singapore already seem pretty bad but to make things worse, the new People’s Action Party (PAP) candidates take it on to a whole new level of scary. If candidates like Tin Pei Ling are going into parliament, we ought to be very worried. She has failed to show the critical depth that is needed to handle national issues. When I showed a friend Tin Pei Ling’s introductory video, he commented that she sounds like a brainwashed robot.

The recent reports circulating on the internet involving Lui Tuck Yew also raised some eyebrows. How can someone like him lead the people? Members of Parliament (MP) are here to serve the people, not the other way around. Also, PAP’s Desmond Choo mentioned on the news that “progress” to him was to make a resident in Hougang hesitate voting for the Worker’s Party. What is up with that? Is defeating the opposition his main goal? Can this be an indication of the type of mentality that runs within the ruling elite?

In contrast, the opposition holds so much more appeal for me. For one, they are not pretentious. Their sincerity is apparent in their videos. They know what it is like to be an average Singaporean, they have got credibility, and last but not the least, they are sacrificing so much for us. The Workers’ Party’s First World Parliament proposal and manifesto is very impressive. Also, Nicole Seah has really moved me and many youths with her ability to speak up for my generation. We are all fans, buzzing with admiration.

**** Voters To Receive Poll Cards From Tomorrow <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110428-0000734/Voters-to-receive-poll-cards-from-tomorrow>
Today

Some 2.2 million voters from the 26 contested wards will start receiving their poll cards from tomorrow.

The Elections Department says all eligible voters should have received their poll cards by May 3.

**** 大选2011提名日花絮 工人党“吸睛”新招 蓝色“伞海”代旗帜 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110428_034.shtml>
联合早报

工人党只有40多名支持者到德明中学提名站,人少但靠创意“吸睛”。他们首次把工人党标志印在伞上,以一片天蓝色的“伞海”取代旗帜。昨天在烈日当空下居然还下了场小雨,让工人党支持者马上将伞派上用场。27岁年轻党员蔡誌泓幽默地告诉记者:“新加坡人需要保险、辩护。我们的雨伞就象征了:无论风雨还是烈日,我们都做好了准备。”

**** Gen-Y: Independent, Young And Unpredictable <http://chaptertworeload.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/gen-y-independent-young-and-unpredictable/>
Aaron Ng, Chapter Two: Reload

The People’s Action Party appeared to have surrendered the courting of Gen-Y Singaporeans to their opponents. Estate upgrades, the rhetoric of fear and government handouts that proved very popular with Gen-X voters do not necessarily work on Gen-Y Singaporeans. The PAP’s attempt at connecting with Gen-Y voters in the form of Tin Pei Ling is a flop compared to the National Solidarity Party’s Nicole Seah.

**** Baptism Of Fire Would Have Done PAP's Last-hour Candidate Good <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110428-0000732/Baptism-of-fire-would-have-done-PAPs-last-hour-candidate-good>
Conrad Raj, Today

And shouldn't the public be provided the reasons behind Mr Tan's stepping down in the interest of transparency? Already cyberspace is rife with speculation on why he decided not to run. He has only cited "personal reasons". PAP leaders have made much of the quality of their candidates and the rigour of their screening process. Shouldn't the party or the candidate himself then give a better account of this abrupt change?

**** National Solidarity Party Chief's Brother Dies <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_662196.html>
Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times

National Solidarity Party secretary-general Goh Meng Seng suffered a family tragedy on the first day of the election campaign. His elder brother, Mr David Goh, who is in his mid-50s, died of a heart attack early on Thursday morning.

Mr Goh Meng Seng, when contacted, said he would carry on the electoral campaign. 'The fight must go on,' he told The Straits Times. 'The reason is that it is his last wish to send me into Parliament. He is the unsung hero of democracy.'

**** Reverse Freak Result – Zero Opposition Members <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/reverse-freak-result-zero-opposition-members/>
Yee Jenn Jong

Now there’s a real danger there could be a freak result the other way – that there will be no elected opposition member of parliament now that Mr Low and Mr Chiam have moved out of their comfort zone of Hougang and Potong Pasir respectively.

Do you want to have credible alternative voices to speak for you in parliament and to give a proper debate to the PAP? Do you want to send a signal to the ruling party that all these gerrymandering, wrongful use of national resources as elections carrot for upgrading, lack of debate over many issues, and mishandling of policies such as housing and immigration over the past 5 years are not to be tolerated?

**** A General View Of The Opposition Prowess <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/04/general-view-of-opposition-prowess.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

Be that as it may, the show of opposition unity augurs well for the opposition parties in the 2011 General Election.

**** When The Biggest Risk Is Not Taking One <http://thebluesweater.blogspot.com/2011/04/when-biggest-risk-is-not-taking-one.html>
The Blue Sweater

Hypothetically, if the opposition does not win, and the PAP gets a clean sweep, besides the fact that it will be a sad day for Singapore politics (a reinforcement of one-party hegemony, coupled by the fact that the WP Aljunied team will not return to parliament as NCMPs), there is the interesting question of how the PAP will govern in the next five years, if the widespread and intense public sentiment against it is any indication that it will be the most unpopular PAP government elected in our post-independence history.

**** Random Discourse – Nomination Day <http://www.nowhere.per.sg/?p=1596>
The Lycan Times

I am quite sure I am already decided who I should vote for, and I am certain not going to bother with a party that remains unrepentant about their broken ‘affordable housing policy’ that enslaves the people. I will not vote for a party which doesn’t know the difference between permanent residents [PRs] and Singaporeans and use them as part of the statistics to tell us for every job a foreigner gets, 1.5 is created for us. I will not vote for a party that has turned my home into heaven for foreigners while it slowly turns into hell for me. I will not vote for a party which has no ideas to solve the problems like public transport, congestions etc other than to raid our reserves – not the national one, but our private individual ones – to the point that when we are old we are all asset rich but cash poor.

**** PAP Leaves The Rubbish. SDP Cleans It Up <http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2011/04/pap-leaves-rubbish-sdp-cleans-it-up.html>
Blogging for Myself

Really disgusted with the PAP supporters for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC etc., They dirty the place and then SDP cleaned up after them.

**** Singapore Emerges Victorious On Nomination Day <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=27922>
Faisal Wali, New Asia Republic

The contest for all the wards or nearly all the wards save for one is a game changer especially where drawing of electoral boundaries are concerned. This is especially so this time round because high quality candidates are fielded based on the assumption that they will translate into votes. The implication is that we will witness a close contest in most if not all neighbouring wards.

**** Dear MM, We Are Not In The Same Boat! <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/04/dear-mm-we-are-not-in-same-boat.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

**** Don't Provide Us With More Ammunition <http://kaffein-nated.blogspot.com/2011/04/dont-provide-us-with-more-ammunition.html>
Kaffein-nated

You created the mess, now go fix it. Wave your magic wand and make them disappear. You had two terms of a decade (which is a mighty long time in my opinion) to perform your miracle-working wonders, of which I had yet to see any progress. And you gave us half-baked answers and poor accountability to the disappearance of a limping terrorist.

**** A Disgruntled Singaporean <http://adisgruntledsingaporean.blogspot.com/2011/04/disgruntled-singaporean.html>
Singapore

I do not wish for an unaffordable Singapore for my children, where newly weds cannot afford to buy a apartment like in the case of Hong Kong, or they have to obtain two generation mortgages to buy a apartment like in case of Japan.

**** Cynics Should Vote For The Opposition (Part 2) <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=27914>
Huang Z’ming, New Asia Republic

**** Things We Should All Know – That The Civil Service Is Independent Of Any Political Party <http://harishpillay.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/things-we-should-all-know-that-the-civil-service-is-independent-of-any-political-party/>
Harish Pillay, Life One Degree North, One-O-Three Degrees East

Just because there are fewer numbers of PAP MPs in the new parliament does not mean that the country will fall apart. If that was the case, we have been shortchanged.

**** My Bets For The Singapore General Election 2011 <http://gssq.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-bets-for-singapore-general-election.html>
Balderdash

And to those who say that some old voters have died and many new young voters are going to be voting, remember that there're also many new citizens who will tend to support the existing government.

We also have yet to see what surprises will come up on the way to Cooling Off Day - not to mention how the Mainstream Media will be doing campaigning on Cooling Off Day itself.

**** Just Some Words <http://rachelzeng.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/just-some-words/>
Rachel Zeng

PAP is not Singapore and Singapore is not PAP.

**** NGO To Observe Voting Process <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_662218.html>
Jessica Lim, Straits Times

Maruah, which means dignity in the Malay language, will monitor the May 7 polls to 'ensure that the conduct of the election is based on both national legislation and international norms of fair and free elections', said its president Braema Mathiaparanam, making clear that the group is not implying that the polling process is inefficient.

Ms Mathiaparanam said the group had approached the Elections Department last week to request that they be allowed into polling stations and counting centres to observe the process but has not received a reply.

**** Straits Times Front Page Factual Error <http://chaptertworeload.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/straits-times-front-page-factual-error/>
Aaron Ng, Chapter Two: Reload

This means that out of the 82 seats being contested, the People’s Action Party is challenging the Workers’ Party and the Singapore People’s Party for two seats, while the other political parties are challenging the PAP for the remaining 80 seats. Therefore, the front page headline is factually wrong. The PAP is not being challenged in all 82 contested seats.

**** RP Candidate Raised $80k In One Week To Contest GE <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110428-0000385/RP-candidate-raised-$80k-in-one-week-to-contest-GE>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

Mr Jeyaretnam pointed out the GRC contains the former Cheng San GRC where his father, the late JB Jeyaretnam, had contested in 1997 and "almost scored a memorable upset". "Fourteen years later, the Reform Party is looking to do the same," he said.

Issues that the team wants to tackle include the social effects of the casinos, the influx of foreigners, the cost of education here and the salaries of "ordinary workers". The team wants to look into older flats along Ang Mo Kio Ave 1 and more amenities for the elderly. They will conduct their first party walkabout in the constituency tomorrow. But Mr Arthero Lim added that their focus is also on how they could improve the lives of Singaporeans "overall".

**** Action Items For Joo Chiat SMC <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/action-items-for-joo-chiat-smc/>
Yee Jenn Jong

**** SDP Manifesto Tackles Major Issues <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/sdp-manifesto-tackles-major-issues/>
Jewel Philemon, The Online Citizen

Aimed at addressing issues that confront the average Singaporean citizen, the manifesto tackles the issues of the rising costs of living, foreign workers, rising HDB prices, CPF, healthcare, income inequality, GIC/Temasek, Education, National Service, Political Rights, Transportation, Environment, Special Needs, Women’s Rights and the Media.

Dr Chee said, “We are not only talking about problems, but we’re also giving solutions.”

**** Change Must Come Soon... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/04/change-must-come-soon.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

We know that "asset enhancement" cannot continue forever - it requires our younger generation to take pile up more debt to purchase homes with prices that rise faster than median income - that is unsustainable and they are linking our retirements to an unsustainable idea.

In the past decade as the cost of living rose, we also see an expansion in the income gap. Our income gap is the largest among developed countries. The govt eliminated inheritance tax for the rich, lower the tax of the highest inome earners and corporate taxes at a time when corporate profits were at an all time as a % of GDP, implemented GST to tax the poor and opened the floodgates to foreign workers from 3rd world countries who would accept lower wages to drive down the income of the lowest wage earners. The availability of cheap labor resulted in a decline in productivity and a large segment of lower income Singaporeans became trapped in poverty. Now the PAP tells us it wants to help the poor...are we supposed to trust them after what they have done?

**** Khaw's Sembawang Plan Does Not Address Priorities Of Residents <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4780-khaws-sebawang-plan-does-not-address-financial-priorities-of-residents>
James Gomez, Singapore Democratic Party

Mr Khaw and his PAP team needs to account for his $500 million plan and how well his plan is going to help the residents of Sembawang's pressing issues related to the rising cost of living, influx of large amounts of foreign labour and depressed wages.

Instead of answering the question, Mr Khaw is telling us that the Sembawang GRC will team up with Nee Soon GRC to form one town council even before election results are known! Mr Khaw and his team needs to tell Singaporeans how his plan is financially prioritised to help the residents of Sembawang GRC.

**** What Umbrellas Show About Alternative Voices... <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110428-0001120/What-umbrellas-show-about-alternative-voices,,,>
Yeo Tee Yeok, Edwin, Today

This may not mean much in terms of national politics, but it goes to show that no one has a monopoly on good ideas. Sometimes, you really do need someone "from the outside" to think out of the box, challenge the status quo, and come up with better solutions.

**** Will The Opposition Win Big? Wishful Thinking Vs Hard Reality <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110428-0001185/Will-the-Opposition-win-big?-Wishful-thinking-vs-hard-reality>
Conrad Raj, Today

Remember the election of 1988 when huge crowds swamped the WP rallies for the Eunos GRC team led by lawyer Francis Seow, who now lives in the US as a fugitive? Yet these did not translate to a winning majority, as many in the crowd of spectators came from all over the island, outside the division itself.

There is also a new bunch of voters in the equation - the newly-minted citizens who are largely expected to show their gratitude to the current Government. However, it's not known if their numbers are enough to offset the young new voters who are said to be more critical of the Government. Will they in the final analysis actually cast their ballots in favour of the Opposition? The noise in cyberspace says many plan to vote in protest against the ruling party, but their hands may act differently at the polling stations. And the majority of existing voters will be for no change in government.

So I am afraid come May 7, the PAP is likely to be returned with a clean sweep of all 87 seats. This will mean that Parliament will be left without a single elected Opposition member. It will be shame to miss the voices in Parliament of Mr Low and Mr Chiam See Tong of the Singapore People's Party who is leading the Opposition team at Bishan Tao-Payoh. But this likely to be the hard reality.

**** 'I Can Stand On My Own Feet': WP Hougang Man <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_662351.html>
Cheryl Lim And Teh Joo Lin, Straits Times

Workers' Party (WP) leader Yaw Shin Leong has pledged to build on and strengthen the 'very strong' foundation that party chief Low Thia Khiang has left behind in Hougang single-seat ward.

But he also insisted that he is his own man and that he can 'stand on his own feet' in Hougang, without having to ride on Mr Low's coat-tails.

**** Singapore Requires A Credible Alternative <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/2011/04/28/singapore-requires-a-credible-alternative/>
R Kengadharan, Free Malaysia Today

Despite all these setbacks, Singapore symbolises optimism but it cannot afford to resemble its old self. It is imperative that it embraces a direct and participatory form of democracy.

It has the most diverse population and economy in Southeast Asia and a magnet for talent and possess the imagination and frontier spirit.

However, resetting the stage is now ever more necessary to change the political culture in Singapore.

**** GE: SDP's Yuhua Candidate Hits Out At Ministerial Salaries <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125522/1/.html>
Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

The party's candidate for the Yuhua Single-Member Constituency, Teo Soh Lung, said Singapore ministers are the highest paid in the world.

Yet some, like minister for community development, youth and sports Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, "agonised" over whether or not to raise the daily allowance by a dollar to some 3,000 public assistance recipients.

**** GE: NSP Zooms In On Cost Of Living Issue <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125532/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

"Did Miss Tin remember to ask NEA (National Environment Agency) not to increase rent for these stalls? If Miss Tin Pei Ling did not remember to do that then the NEA can always raise rent at any time on the basis that they have to stay in line with prevailing economic conditions. Then this would leave the merchants of MacPherson with a dilemma. Will they break their pledge to Miss Tin or absorb the increase in rent?" asked Ms Chong-Aruldoss.

**** GE: WP Rallies For First World Parliament <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125534/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

"You may ask what is a First World Parliament?," Mr Low said. "It is the hallmark of good governance. It is not just about debate. It goes beyond robust debate."

"In the context of Singapore, a First World Parliament is the presence (and) is the critical mass of elected nominated MPs with full voting rights and mandate."

**** GE: "We'll Continue To Ease Your Burden", Says DPM Teo <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125538/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

"We understand concerns about the cost of living; we are doing all we can to help. We need food and energy but we can't control prices -- they're set on world market."

"The government has adopted a different approach. We give subsidies direct to families and people. This is better for the low income and elderly to cope."

**** GE: Ground Is Good In Ang Mo Kio, Says PM <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125540/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Prime minister Lee said: "If you look at Ang Mo Kio, I've had a very warm welcome and I think all the other candidates have also fed back that they've got warm welcome from the residents when they go (visiting) house to house and when they go to the markets.

"Of course, there are issues people are concerned about. Cost of living, naturally, home prices too, (are) worrying the young people but that doesn't mean that they are not well-disposed to us. I think they are well-disposed to us and we will build on this and we will ensure we will get a good result in this election."

**** GE: RP Wants To Push For Privatisation Of Temasek Holdings, GIC <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125541/1/.html>
Sharon See/Ryan Huang, Channel NewsAsia

At the Reform Party's rally on Thursday evening, its secretary-general Kenneth Jeyaretnam said the party is pushing for the privatisation of Temasek Holdings and GIC. He said this would make these entities accountable to Singaporeans.

Another Reform Party candidate, Lim Zirui, spoke about the affordability of health care. Mr Lim, the candidate for Ang Mo Kio GRC said: "We believe you all know in Singapore you can die but can't fall sick. What sort of logic is this? Singapore is so developed but where is the money? One of our ministers can spend S$8 to get surgery, but others who (stay) in hospital will have to pay a few thousand dollars. I do not know why the situation is like that."

**** GE: Don't Fear Voting For Opposition, Says SDP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125547/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

"As usual, they paint an extreme and improbable picture to scare you. Do not let them scare you."

"Our excellent civil service runs this country. Our civil servants are Singaporeans too, with families and homes. They will not run away from their jobs and leave their duties just because there is opposition in Parliament."

**** GE: "I Didn't Propose Closing Factories", Says Tan Jee Say <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125551/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore Democratic Party's (SDP) candidate for Holland-Bukit Timah Group Representation Constituency (GRC) Tan Jee Say said People's Action Party (PAP) ministers have rewarded themselves richly by paying themselves millions, despite areas in which they have failed.

Mr Tan also accused the PAP of distorting his proposals in an economic paper he wrote on ideas to regenerate the Singapore economy. "I did not propose closing factories and abandoning the manufacturing sector," Mr Tan said. "What I said was that we should not promote manufacturing because it requires a lot of land and labour."

"You know, (for) Sembawang and Keppel, the Prime Minister has said 75 per cent of their workers are foreign workers. So this is expensive land, valuable land that we cannot afford to give to industries that benefit foreign workers. Where do Singaporeans count in their economic policy?"

**** GE: NSP Questions PAP's Public Housing Policies <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125554/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Ms Seah, who is a candidate for Marine Parade GRC, said: "Since when did public housing become so expensive? Now couples are settling down at a later age because they do not want the burden of the huge debt to pay off their houses. Public housing indeed.

"The NSP promises compassionate lower prices for first-time home owners and we will not use upgrading as a carrot to win Singaporeans over."

**** PM Sizes Up Contest In Potong Pasir And Hougang <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_662413.html>
Lynn Lee, Straits Times

The People's Action Party (PAP) will face a tough fight in Potong Pasir and Hougang, but it will not be as difficult as if opposition stalwarts Chiam See Tong and Low Thia Khiang were standing there.

This was prime minister Lee Hsien Loong's assessment on Thursday of the upcoming contest in the two single-seat wards, which have been opposition strongholds for years.

**** A Door Cracks Open In The Little Red Dot <http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1104/S00158/paul-g-buchanan-a-door-cracks-open-in-the-little-red-dot.htm>
Paul G. Buchanan, Scoop

But that is precisely why this election constitutes a pre-conditioning critical juncture that will set the stage for the next one. Processes of authoritarian regime liberalization tend to be "two-steps forward, one step backwards" affairs. The regime opens a little, the opposition pushes further than what is acceptable to the regime, and the regime pushes back. Confronted with a rising tide of opposition success and grassroots mobilizations against one-party rule that cannot be contained with selective application of the ISA and the usual use of defamation and non-assembly laws, the PAP regime will therefore be forced to opt for one of two paths: repress or reform. Its previous preferred strategy of cooptation will no longer work.

This means that the PAP is staring at the beginning of the end in this election. The opposition has organized, mobilized and taken advantage of the limited political space afforded to it by the manipulated electoral system. The PAP has reacted slowly and awkwardly to the opposition's energetic display. It therefore sits on the horns of a dilemma: accept that power sharing is inevitable over the short term and rotation in government office is quite possible within a few years (or at least much sooner than expected), or use its election victory to reassert its political supremacy, by force if necessary, over pretenders to its throne. That will influence the context in which the power struggles following Lew Kuan Yew's death will occur, which in turn will determine whether or not the slow process of authoritarian liberalization will continue or be halted. At that point the moment of truth will have arrived for a country struggling with its identity as a modern bridge between East and West.

**** Rally Schedule For Tonight - Friday, 29 April <https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150165612333964>
The Online Citizen, Facebook

**** Don’t Be Afraid To Use The Stick – TOC Reader <http://ge2011theonlinecitizen.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/dont-be-afraid-to-use-the-stick-toc-reader/>
Seleste Ong, The Online Citizen

I guess age and experience plays a huge part- as I get older and accumulate more life experiences, I start to realise that there are many gaping holes in our present policies.

**** NSP: “It Is About You.” <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/nsp-“it-is-about-you-”/>
Benjamin Cheah, The Online Citizen