[MyAppleMenu] Apr 27, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 27 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** Promising Prospect: HazeOver 1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/159487/2011/04/hazeover_gem.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

HazeOver is a clever utility with a lot of promise. With a few tweaks, it just may find its way into my workflow.

**** iPhoto 9.1.2 Released <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/26/iphoto-9-1-2-released/>
David Winograd, TUAW

**** How To: Capturing iPad Video With Audio Narration <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/26/how-to-capturing-ipad-video-with-audio-narration/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

**** Evernote for Mac 2.1 update boasts social sharing, audio, speed <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/26/evernote-for-mac-2-1-update-boasts-social-sharing-audio-speed/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

Search speeds have been dramatically improved, so you can keep taking notes without worrying about waiting forever for search results.

**** Apple Releases Snow Leopard Font Update For OpenType/PDF Issues <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/26/apple-issues-snow-leopard-font-update/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

Apple just released the Snow Leopard Font Update. This fix addresses bugs encountered with OpenType fonts when displaying and printing documents.

**** TweetDeck 2.0 For iPhone: An Announcement In A Tweet <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/26/tweetdeck-2-0-for-iphone-an-announcement-in-a-tweet/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** The iOS Weather-app Market <http://www.marco.org/2011/04/26/iphone-weather-apps>
Marco Arment

The problem here is similar to any other general app category with a lot of potential for customer dissatisfaction, like to-do lists and notepads: the features that I care about aren’t going to perfectly match the features that you, or anyone else, will care about. I could make my perfect weather app, but very few others would be satisfied with it.

**** Q&A: Moving Data At Lightning Speed With Thunderbolt <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/qa-moving-data-at-lightning-speed-with-thunderbolt/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
J.D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

**** iPhone 101: Location Data And GPS <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/27/iphone-101-location-data-and-gps/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

**** 10 Ways To Use iTunes Contextual Menus <http://www.macworld.com/article/159457/2011/04/itunes_contextual_menus.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

Many iTunes users not only don’t realize how powerful the program’s contextual menu is, but also may not even know it’s there. Since Mac users are less accustomed to contextual menus than Windows users, many don’t even know these menus exist. Here are 10 things you can do quickly and easily from the contextual menu.

**** Apple To Sell iPad 2 In Japan, Hong Kong, 10 Other Countries This Week <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/27/apple_to_sell_ipad_2_in_japan_white_iphone_4_around_the_world_thursday.html>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

Apple on Wednesday officially announced that the iPad 2 will debut in Japan, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Korea, Macau, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Turkey and UAE this week.

**** Apple Confirms White iPhone To Arrive Tomorrow <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/27/apple-confirms-white-iphone-to-arrive-tomorrow/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

Phil Schiller said, "The white iPhone 4 has finally arrived and it's beautiful. We appreciate everyone who has waited patiently while we've worked to get every detail right," via a press release issued this morning.

**** Apple Issues Statement On iOS Location Controversy, Says Fix Is Coming <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/27/apple_issues_statement_on_ios_location_controversy_says_fix_is_coming.html>
AppleInsider

Apple on Wednesday responded to growing concern over a bug in the iOS mobile operating system that powers the iPhone and iPad, informing customers that it is not tracking them and revealing that it will address the issue with a forthcoming software update.

**** SOHO Labels 5.0.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/159437/2011/04/soholabels5.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jay J. Nelson, Macworld

Apple's Address Book does a good job of printing labels and envelopes, but if your labeling needs extend beyond occasional use, a dedicated label application will pay for itself very quickly. SOHO Labels goes far beyond mere label printing, into the realm of scrapbook pages, name badges, disc labels, and more.

**** How To Make A Photo Journal In iPhoto <http://www.macworld.com/article/159495/2011/04/howtomakeiphotojournals.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ben Harvell, Macworld

With iPhoto’s book-creation tools, you can easily combine the best elements of photo albums, written diaries, and scrapbooks to create compelling and personal photo journals. Unlike a regular photo book or album, a photo journal takes your photographs and uses them to tell a story. The images are typically organized chronologically and combined with large amounts of text to create an extensive and coherent narrative.

**** Apple Addresses Location Controversy Questions <http://tidbits.com/article/12133>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

The iPhone does transmit — in an anonymous and encrypted form that Apple cannot use to identify you or your position — the locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers back to Apple, where they are added to a massive crowd-sourced database. Apple used to rely on Skyhook Wireless, the firm that pioneered Wi-Fi positioning, but switched to its own network data gathering with the first iPad release, and with iOS 4.0 for all other devices.

The iPhone downloads and caches an appropriate subset of that database to aid in location calculations, and it’s this cached subset that is backed up in iTunes and read by iPhoneTracker, which accounts for the locations that don’t correspond with where you’ve actually been.

**** Q&A: Jobs And Apple Execs On Tracking Down The Facts About iPhones And Location <http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110427/qa-jobs-and-apple-execs-on-tracking-down-the-facts-about-iphones-and-location/>
Ina Fried, All Things D

“We’re an engineering-driven company,” Jobs said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “When people accuse us of things, the first thing we want to do is find out the truth. That took a certain amount of time to track all of these things down. And the accusations were coming day by day. By the time we had figured this all out, it took a few days. Then writing it up and trying to make it intelligible when this is a very high-tech topic took a few days. And here we are less than a week later.”

**** Apple’s Jobs And Schiller On Why Making The White iPhone Was So Darn Tough <http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110427/apples-jobs-and-schiller-on-why-making-the-white-iphone-was-so-darn-tough/>
Ina Fried, All Things D

Schiller said that it turned out there were a lot of unexpected interactions between the color of the device and various internal components. Also, like fair-skinned humans, white iPhones need a little more UV protection from the sun.

Jobs noted that the work Apple had to do to get the white iPhone ready has benefited the company more broadly.

**** Cannibalism - What Is It Good For? <http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wondermonkey/2011/04/cannibalism---what-is-it-good.shtml>
Matt Walker, BBC

Food is the obvious answer, but there appear to be significant issues associated with eating your own kind. Eating your offspring is a bit pointless, if you’ve put in the energy to raise them in the first place. Devouring members of the opposite sex limits your ability to find a mate. And gobbling up your neighbours can be self defeating – for these good neighbours can lead you to food and water, warn about predators and provide more sociable creatures with company. And if you start a cannibalism trend, the odds are you may end up a victim.

Those reasons help explain why most animals aren’t cannibals. But it doesn’t elucidate why some do eat their own.

**** Look At Me, I’m Crying <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/20/look-at-me-im-crying/>
Melissa Febos, New York Times

I’ve done it on the subway and at the Museum of Modern Art, in Prospect Park, Tompkins Square Park and leaning against the locked gate of Gramercy Park. If you live in New York, you’re bound to end up crying in public eventually; there just aren’t enough private places.

**** Couple Earning S$4,200 Can Buy Four-room Flat With 'Zero Deposit' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0000040/Couple-earning-S$4,200-can-buy-four-room-flat-with-zero-deposit>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

Yesterday, the Ministry of National Development (MND) gave a detailed breakdown to explain Minister Mah Bow Tan's point that first-time home buyers can get a flat "with zero deposit".

At a cost of S$278,000 - the average price last year of a four-room flat, the most common HDB flat type - a couple below the age of 30 who earn a median income of S$4,200 for four-room flat applicants last year can make a downpayment after just four months of contributing to the Central Provident Fund, according to the MND.

Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Dr Vivian Balakrishnan has called for transparency and the SDP has delivered it straight, and to the point. Now it is Dr Balakrishnan’s turn to be held accountable over the Youth Olympic Games, over the lack of help for the homeless in Singapore, over the lack of concern his ministry has for the poor and destitute, and his overall poor performance as a minister during his tenure since April 2005.

**** The Day Vivian Lit A Match <http://onesingaporean.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/the-day-vivian-lit-a-match/>
One Singaporean

He may indeed yet win the constituency. But he will forever be remembered as the minister who, on one fine day, descended to the very depths of the gutter, the sewer, to feed his vulgar craving for power. And that he did so by reaching for the heart of a fellow human being and, without batting an eyelid, ripped it out.

**** Opposition Parties Respond To MM's Call To 'Look At The Fundamentals' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110426-0001345/Opposition-parties-respond-to-MMs-call-to-look-at-the-fundamentals>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

Reform Party chief Kenneth Jeyaretnam argued that "precisely that it is when voters look at the fundamentals that they know how badly the PAP have performed over the last 10 years". According to Mr Jeyaretnam, the "failings" of the PAP included an "obsession with high rates of economic growth achieved by opening the doors to cheap foreign labour" as well as "stagnant real median incomes and falling real incomes for the bottom quartile".

National Solidarity Party Goh Meng Seng said he "totally agrees that we should not play around with the roots of the success of Singapore - that's meritocracy, social justice and equality". Said Mr Goh: "What we're saying is the erosion of these values due to the PAP's obsession in keeping its hegemony of power."

**** More Reports Might Go Online <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110427-0000384/More-reports-might-go-online>
Yip Siew Joo, Parliament Secretariat, Today

We do appreciate that some members of the public need to access older parliamentary reports. In conjunction with the forthcoming implementation of an enhanced IT system for the Singapore parliamentary reports, we will consider the feasibility of offering more Singapore parliamentary reports online from the next term of Parliament in response to demand.

**** New System Will Give Free Access To Subsidiary Legislation <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110427-0000383/New-system-will-give-free-access-to-subsidiary-legislation>
Li Jin Haw, Attorney-General’s Chambers, Today

At the opening of the legal year on Jan 7, the Attorney-General (AG), Mr Sundaresh Menon SC, announced that a new legislation database system will be launched this year. This will replace the Versioned Legislation Database that has been in use since 1998. This new system will, like its predecessor, provide the latest versions of statutes to the public, free of charge.

In addition, AG announced that the system will be extended to also allow free access to the latest versions of all subsidiary legislation at a later date.

**** Bravado, Blame And Insecurity: Fearfully Alienating Singaporeans <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/bravado-blame-and-insecurity-fearfully-alienating-singaporeans/>
Molitics

Kuan Yew is a key player in the game of winning hearts by scaring people.

**** PAP, SDP Video Saga: <i>Today</i> Readers Respond <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0000115/PAP,-SDP-video-saga--TODAY-readers-respond>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

The bulk of the responses expressed varying degrees of dismay with the People's Action Party (PAP) team for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, and minister Vivian Balakrishnan in particular, for what many perceived as "smear tactics" and "below the belt" tactics.

**** Dim Sum Dollies Helping Opposition <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0000046/Dim-Sum-Dollies-helping-Opposition>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

Actresses Selena Tan and Pamela Oei yesterday appealed for funds on their Facebook pages to help the aspiring candidates.

**** NSP's Goh To Keep Up Pressure On GST Rate <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0000047/NSPs-Goh-to-keep-up-pressure-on-GST-rate>
Shamir Osman, Today

The finance minister said it was because the Government's revenue base has been strengthened. But National Solidarity Party secretary-general Goh Meng Seng believes otherwise.

To the latter, the declaration that the Goods and Services Tax will not be raised for at least five years is a sign of effective Opposition pressure.

**** Two Views On The Future Of Singapore's Economy <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0000041/Two-views-on-the-future-of-Singapores-economy>
Today

Singapore Democratic Party candidate Tan Jee Say has proposed a wide-ranging plan to transform Singapore's economy. On Saturday, Trade and Industry Minister Lim Hng Kiang offered a point-by-point rebuttal to some of Mr Tan's suggestions key proposals. Here is a look at some of their differing views.

**** Spreading The Fear Of Freak Results And Losing Ministers In GRCs <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/04/spreading-fear-of-freak-results-and.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

This country has to start changing direction soon or it will have to do so in a more abrupt manner in the future.

**** PAP Provokes $179 Grow And Share Package For SDP <http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/04/pap-provokes-179-grow-and-share-package.html>
Think Happiness

"As I disagree with your unfortunate statement, I will donate $179 from the cash hand-out I am due to receive to the team that is running against you; $1 for each word that appears in your unfortunate statement."

**** MPs' Allowance Calls For Full-time Commitment <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_661485.html>
Ang Eng Tat, Straits Times

The government should make it compulsory for MPs to serve full time. A second job may distract them from their political duties.

**** Special Bus Services For NTU Students On Polling Day <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_661469.html>
Chan Kwong Lok, Nanyang Technological University, Straits Times

All students eligible to vote (Singaporeans aged 21 and above) and who are taking the exams on May 7 can sign up for specially arranged bus services that will go directly to five MRT stations - Ang Mo Kio, Choa Chu Kang, Outram, Tampines and Yishun. This will help students to get to the polling stations more quickly.

**** Of Agendas, Red Herrings And Red Flags <http://miak.livejournal.com/680564.html>
Innersanctum

**** PAP Strategy <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2011/04/pap-strategy.html>
Musings From The Lion City

Yes, I know about the PAP manifesto but everything in the manifesto is basically “more of the same”. There’s nothing there that they have not announced before. Some of the plans there are a few years old even!

**** Asset Enhancement Affects Future Generations Too <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_661467.html>
Ng Kok Lim, Straits Times

Madam Chng says that the only group we should be concerned with are first-time buyers with no existing flats. On that basis, she concludes that lowering HDB prices across the board is unwarranted. She seems to think that such first-time buyers form only the minority. However, sky-high property prices will affect not only first-time buyers now but also all future first-time buyers. What members of the existing home-owning generation enjoy now, their children and children's children will end up paying for.

**** My Brief Take On The 377A Penal Code <http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=141136845957395>
Nicole Seah, Facebook

Whether you are a diehard supporter of the current Penal code, or if you buy into the argument that repealing this code will have a direct causal effect to erode the fabric of society, do take some time to think about what you have observed around you as a Singaporean over the past few years.

**** When In Doubt, Turn To The Data (Immigration) <http://flaneurose.blogspot.com/2011/04/when-in-doubt-turn-to-data-immigration.html>
Flaneurose

**** Who Will The Moderates Choose? <http://laicite.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/who-will-the-moderates-choose/>
Laïcité

Now that religion and sexual orientation have been brought into politics, there are many more pertinent questions to ask yourself – magnitudes of importance greater than a single candidate’s sexual orientation.

**** Cynics Should Vote For The Opposition (Part 1) <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=27901>
Huang Z’ming, New Asia Republic

**** RAdm Lui Tuck Yew Walkabout Double Fail? <http://fearfullyopinionated.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/radm-lui-tuck-yew-walkabout-double-fail/>
Fearfully Opinionated

Nevertheless, I do feel that part of the job scope of being a MP is to always be patient and sensitive to the residents you serve. Failure to do so, or failure to give the impression that you are willing to do so, can be very costly indeed.

**** Singapore GE 2011: A View From Overseas <http://organically.blogspot.com/2011/04/singapore-ge-2011-view-from-overseas.html>
Organic-Ally

**** This Is A Very Strange Election, Compared To 2006 <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/04/this-is-very-strange-election-compared.html>
Singapore Election Watch

PAP knows from the study that cost of living and housing prices are the two key issues of concern comng into this election, yet PAP has no solution or plan on how it intends to tackle this.

**** Initial Results Show 82 Of 87 Seats Contested In Singapore GE <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125138/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

As of end of nomination, preliminary reports point to a three-cornered fight in Punggol East single-member constituency (SMC), straight fights in all other constituencies except Tanjong Pagar Group Representation Constituency (GRC).

**** GE: PAP's Steve Tan Pulls Out As Candidate <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125120/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

When contacted, Mr Tan said he had been discussing with his wife over the last few weeks and his reason for dropping out was due to personal considerations.

**** Holland-Bukit Timah Rivals Meet <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_661711.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

Singapore Democratic Party candidate Vincent Wijeysingha, who is contesting in the Holland-Bukit Timah GRC was asked what he would say to Dr Vivian Balakrishnan when he saw him.

He said: 'I will embrace him like a brother. We are gentlemen.'

**** GE2011 – I Am WP’s Candidate For Joo Chiat SMC <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/ge2011-i-am-wps-candidate-for-joo-chiat-smc/>
Yee Jenn Jong

I have explained in my earlier blog post why I have chosen to be an alternative voice under WP. I believe Singapore should have strong alternative voices and a credible alternative party for the long term insurance of Singapore. Joo Chiat is passionately my home, and home to my parents and many classmates and friends. It is therefore my great pleasure to contest in Joo Chiat as I have much at stake in Joo Chiat. At Joo Chiat, we already have good parks and beautiful homes. I hope we can add a new dimension to it, by having a spirit that makes Joo Chiat the pride of Singapore.

**** Straight Fight In Marine Parade GRC Between PAP And NSP <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_661750.html>
Straits Times

In his speech to cheering supporters after nominations closed, SM Goh urged voters to vote for their futures, for a team they know can deliver. Marine Parade GRC has been led by him for the last 19 years.

The NSP team reminded voters that they had the power to demand more transparency and accountability on the part of the Government. Their youngest candidate Nicole Seah noted in her speech after nominations closed that they had been asked why they were standing in what is a PAP stronghold. The team's response to that, she said, was a reminder to voters that the ball was in their court.

**** Two Major Upsets At Deyi Nomination Centre <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_661732.html>
Yen Feng, Straits Times

Two major upsets took place at Deyi Secondary School on Wednesday morning, where potential candidates arrived to submit their nomination forms to contest in three GRCs and one SMC.

The first was the surprise turn by Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang to stand in Aljunied GRC. He is replaced by Mr Yaw Shin Leong in Hougang.

The second upset came when Mr Ooi Boon Ewe, 70, an independent candidate for Sengkang West, could not find his assentor - about 15 minutes before nominations closed at noon.

**** Two Political Stalwarts Face Off In Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_661728.html>
Yen Feng, Straits Times

**** Straight Fight In Mountbatten, No Independents In Picture <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_661726.html>
Straits Times

The battle for Mountbatten will be between the People's Action Party's Lim Biow Chuan and Jeanette Chong-Aruldoss of the National Solidarity Party (NSP). A number of independents had eyed this new single-member constituency in the past week, but have one by one dropped out for various reasons.

**** GE SDP Team Raises Objection Against PAP's Sim Ann <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125166/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The SDP raised an objection, claiming that Ms Sim Ann was still serving out her notice of resignation from the Civil Service and was technically still employed. Her job status in her nomination form listed her as unemployed and the SDP claimed this was a misrepresentation.

Later at a press conference, Ms Sim Ann called their claims "utterly and completely baseless". She told reporters she had resigned from the Public Service Division on Mar 18 and her last day of work was April 3. So, she said, she was unemployed from April 4 onwards. She added she had to pay a financial penalty for falling short of the stipulated period of notice.

**** WP's Low Thia Khiang Contesting In Aljunied GRC <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125158/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang is contesting in the five-member Aljunied GRC. The others in the team are chairman Sylvia Lim, corporate lawyer Chen Show Mao, Pritam Singh, a postgraduate law student, and Muhamad Faisal Manap, a freelance counseller.

Meanwhile WP candidate Yaw Shin Leong contest in Hougang, where Mr Low had been the MP for four terms.

**** GE: Rally Sites Announced <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125153/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** "I Will Look After You For The Next 5 Years", Says MM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125145/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew was re-elected to Parliament on Wednesday without any contest as the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) faced a stiff challenge from the opposition for the May 7 election.

In his thank-you speech, MM Lee gave his assurance that he will serve his Tanjong Pagar residents for the next five years. Mr Lee said he has not faced a contest since 1991. He said he would have welcomed a contest in Tanjong Pagar but the papers by the opposition team were not filed by 12pm.

**** One Word: Aljunied <http://www.airconditionednation.com/home/GE_2011/Entries/2011/4/27_ONE_WORD:_ALJUNIED.html>
Cherian George

On the one side is a PAP team that’s hard to dislike. A veteran former journalist, Zainul Abidin, who is genuinely popular and is being mentioned as a future Speaker of Parliament. An intriguing new candidate and possible future PM, Ong Ye Kung, who has spent quality time at the NTUC and shows a determination to work for workers. And an anchor minister, George Yeo, who has distinguished himself as one of Singapore’s best ever foreign ministers. In the last GE, Yeo was the first Cabinet Minister to call a halt to the mudslinging against James Gomez, and in these polls he has continued to take the high road, denying snipers the pleasure of accusing him of gutter politics. Today, he called the WP A-team “worthy opponents”.

On the WP side, too, is a team that defies all the stereotypes. Fly-by-night opportunists who are dormant between elections? Low Thia Khiang is known as a hardworking grassroots MP. And his decision to leave his safe seat in Hougang for the fight of his life confirms yet again his steely idealism. Low calibre? In the early 1980s, Lee Kuan Yew likened the Opposition leaders to DC3 propeller planes while the PAP’s were Boeing 707 jets. But in Chen Show Mao, the WP have a Dreamliner whose specifications match any high-flier in the PAP fleet. It’s as if, like diligent children in paternalistic Singapore, Low’s WP has taken note of every criticism the PAP has levelled at the Opposition and has now come back with an answer for everything.

**** Cleaning Up After The PAP <https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150164845598964>
The Online Citizen, Facebook

"SDP supporters cleaning up the mess that the PAP supporters left behind."

**** GE: "Decisive Contest" With WP, Says George Yeo <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125223/1/.html?cid=dlvr.it>
Tanya Fong, Today

A "decisive contest" - not just for the 143,148 voters in Aljunied Group Representation Constituency (GRC) but also for the rest of Singapore - was how the constituency's incumbent MP George Yeo described the upcoming battle with the Workers' Party (WP).

WP chairman Sylvia Lim had led a WP team to the best Opposition showing in all GRCs in the 2006 General Election, garnering 43.9 per cent of the votes in its defeat to the PAP. This time around, Ms Lim will be part of a stronger team - at least on paper. In her speech at the nomination centre, Ms Lim said her party was "determined to make a breakthrough" in the constituency.

**** WP Explains Why It Took So Long At East Coast <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_661838.html>
Straits Times

It turns out the delay was due to one of its members, Miss Glenda Han Su May, a Hongkong-based entrepreneur and broker, wanting her English name to be put on the ballot papers instead of only her Chinese name.

**** An Analysis Of A Commentary On The Alleged Evil Nature Of Dr Vivian Balakrishnan <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/04/analysis-of-commentary-on-alleged-evil.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

However, as I read on, I found that the blogger was not joking, but was earnestly and sincerely expressing his view about Vivian. The word evil came up again and again in the post, sometimes with added emphasis.

Most frighteningly, the overall tone of the article was actually coherent and sensible. The article didn't sound like a crazy, eccentric blogger mumbling nonsense to himself. Instead the writer sounded like an intelligent, rational person who genuinely considered Vivian Balakrishnan to be evil, and who was fully prepared to provide analysis and reasons to justify this view.

**** Four-corner Fight Doesn't Materialise <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001158/Four-corner-fight-doesnt-materialise>
Leong Wee Keat And Tan Yo-Hinn, Today

After all the talk of a four-corner contest come May 7, Radin Mas will now see a straight fight at the polls, where incumbent Sam Tan of the People's Action Party (PAP) will take on the National Solidarity Party's (NSP) Yip Yew Weng.

Mr Yip, a businessman, had said the NSP should have first bite at Radin Mas as it had been active there for more than a decade. He had added that he also stood a better chance of winning than the pair from the other two parties.

**** Kenneth Jeyaratnam Leads RP Team In West Coast GRC <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001162/Kenneth-Jeyaratnam-leads-RP-team-in-West-Coast-GRC>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

West Coast Group Representation Constituency (GRC) saw no changes to the candidates on the slates of both the People's Action Party (PAP) and the Reform Party (RP).

Mr Jeyaretnam said his RP team was "proud and humble" to be contesting in the election. "At times it seemed we were not going to get here, let alone (contest) in two GRCs," he said, referring to the party's last-minute bid for Ang Mo Kio.

**** Yaw Shin Leong Takes Over As WP Candidate At Hougang SMC <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001163/Yaw-Shin-Leong-takes-over-as-WP-candidate-at-Hougang-SMC>
Ansley Ng, Today

Mr Yaw, who has been helping Mr Low at the Hougang Town Council, was part of the WP "suicide squad" that contested in 2006 against prime minister Lee Hsien Loong's Ang Mo Kio GRC, winning 34 per cent of votes.

Addressing a clutch of blue-clad WP supporters after filing his papers, Mr Yaw thanked them for supporting Mr Low in Hougang for the past 20 years. "I will do my very best to strengthen the foundation and build upon the foundation Mr Low Thia Khiang has laid for us. This is a very significant election. We must do our best to battle for every single heart, every single mind and every single vote."

**** PAP Veteran Faces WP Candidate Who Grew Up In Joo Chiat SMC <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001161/PAP-veteran-faces-WP-candidate-who-grew-up-in-Joo-Chiat-SMC>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

**** Women To Battle It Out In Yuhua <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001165/Women-to-battle-it-out-in-Yuhua>
Sheralyn Tay, Today

Ms Teoh, a 61-year-old retired lawyer and former Internal Security Act detainee, said: "We have a party strategy and we will work together very hard to make sure that we understand the problems of Yuhua."

She added that she and the SDP will bring a "new perspective" to the mix.

**** NSP 'Leaving Things To Nicole Seah' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001205/NSP-leaving-things-to-Nicole-Seah>
Shamir Osman, Today

The NSP has zoomed in on the rising cost of living and increasing property prices and has asked for the mandate from Marine Parade residents to effect changes in these two key areas.

Said Ms Seah: "There are a lot of issues across the board, like the cost of living and rising property prices… we have identified national issues and issues in the constituency.

"You as citizens … can push for greater transparency. Your voices deserve to be heard, and we will hear what you have to say."

**** No Surprises For Jurong <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001204/No-surprises-for-Jurong>
Sheralyn Tay, Today

Responding to the incident, Mr Tharman said: "We are looking forward to the contest and would have been greatly disappointed if we did not have this contest."

He said that while his team was confident, they were going in with " humility" as well. "We have achieved many things, but in spite of what we have achieved, we must aim to do better."

**** PAP's Cedric Foo To Face NSP's Steve Chia In Pioneer <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001208/PAPs-Cedric-Foo-to-face-NSPs-Steve-Chia-in-Pioneer>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

**** Three-cornered Fight In Punggol East <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001211/Three-cornered-fight-in-Punggol-East>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

Punggol East will be the only constituency that will see a three-cornered fight come Polling Day, with the Workers' Party (WP) and the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA) challenging the People's Action Party (PAP) incumbent Michael Palmer.

**** Give PAP Chance To Unlock Potong Pasir's Potential: Sitoh <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001210/Give-PAP-chance-to-unlock-Potong-Pasirs-potential--Sitoh>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

The People's Action Party's (PAP) man in Potong Pasir, Mr Sitoh Yih Pin, has urged supporters to give him the chance to serve the Opposition-controlled ward and noted he has come for the third time to ask for the residents' votes.

His opponent, Mrs Lina Chiam, wife of vice-chairman of the Singapore People's Party Chiam See Tong, who has been the constituency's MP since 1984, also spoke at the nomination centre. She said: "For the past 27 years, I stood side by side with my husband to serve the residents of Potong Pasir." Mrs Chiam said she has now stepped forward to continue Mr Chiam's commitment to serve residents and she will "leave no stones unturned" in providing better lives for residents.

**** At The Jurong Nomination Centre <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/at-the-jurong-nomination-centre/>
Yawning Bread

2011 is the first general election since independence in 1965 when we’ve had such a high percentage of contested seats. The nearest was in 1988 (the first election in which GRCs were in place) when 5 out of 81 seats were walkovers. The excitement should be more infectious than ever before since this time, more than 94 percent of voters (total number of voters = 2,350,873 minus those in Tanjong Pagar 139,771) will have a chance to cast a ballot.

But it also means that the result will be harder than ever to predict, especially with the rise of new media. And so, we’re likely to hear “beware freak election result” again and again till we’re sick of it.

**** TOC Exclusive: Why SDA Team Missed Deadline <http://ge2011theonlinecitizen.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/toc-exclusive-why-sda-team-missed-deadline/>
Ko Siew Huey, The Online Citizen

Mr Sassoon said that the whole episode appeared disorganized and haphazard: “They did not know the process, they did not know the procedure, the coming in late, the whole not organizing your team… just the whole air of chaos didn’t help.”

Ms Teoh added: “You intend to be an elected candidate and you are not clear about election rules… I’m not sure how you could represent anybody effectively in parliament.”

**** Lim Swee Say's Team Faces WP In East Coast <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001299/Lim-Swee-Says-team-faces-WP-in-East-Coast>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

The Workers' Party (WP) team in East Coast GRC is hoping that a good balance of experienced and younger candidates will give them a boost in their chances the second time round.

Asked how he would rate the WP's chances, Mr Eric Tan said: "I do not want to speculate on the outcome but I know people want more checks and balances, they want more Opposition voices in Parliament."

**** Local Issues The Focus For NSP <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/Singaporeinbrief/EDC110427-0001296/Local-issues-the-focus-for-NSP>
Tan Weizhen, Today

The NSP team of Mr Tan, Ms Poa, Mr Jeisilan Sivalingam, Ms Nor Lella Mardiiiah Mohamed and party chairman Sebastian Teo said today they would focus on local issues such as cleanliness of estates, insufficient parking lots, increasing rentals and dropping sales - by nearly half, they said - of small and medium businesses.

The NSP team also called for a united Singapore. In a reference to the different colours of each political party, Mr Tan said: "Although we all wear different colours - orange, peach, white - we're all Singaporeans first."

**** Chiam Faces Wong Kan Seng In Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001302/Chiam-faces-Wong-Kan-Seng-in-Bishan-Toa-Payoh-GRC>
Lin Yanqin, Today

The long-anticipated battle between the People's Action Party (PAP) and the Singapore People's Party (SPP) in Bishan-Toa Payoh Group Representation Constituency (GRC) is finally official, in a constituency that has not been contested since its formation in 1997.

"We are a good team and Singaporeans understand the meaning of parliamentary democracy. Parliamentary democracy means transparency and accountability on the part of the Government," Chiam See Tong told reporters. "And they have failed to do that. So the only way to make the Government more transparent is to vote in more Opposition."

**** Reform Party Pulls Together Team To Take On PAP In Ang Mo Kio <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001303/Reform-Party-pulls-together-team-to-take-on-PAP-in-Ang-Mo-Kio>
Lin Yanqin, Today

After a last-minute scramble, Reform Party (RP) has pulled together a team to contest Ang Mo Kio GRC at the 11th hour.

**** Move Out Of Hougang Decided 'Quite Long Ago': Low <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001300/Move-out-of-Hougang-decided-quite-long-ago--Low>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang said his "calculated decision" to move out of Hougang SMC had been made "quite long ago" because he felt that the opposition as a whole had not progressed in the time that he has been an elected member.

The gerrymandering of the People's Action Party - shifting voters out of Hougang into other constituencies like Ang Mo Kio GRC - made him even more determined that moving out of his ward was the right decision, he said.

**** Spotlight Set To Fall On Aljunied GRC Again <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110427-0001304/Spotlight-set-to-fall-on-Aljunied-GRC-again>
Derrick A. Paulo, Today

After five GEs of coming close to winning a GRC, but falling short each time, the Workers' Party is making an all-out tilt to win in a multi-seat contest.

And if it does so in five-member Aljunied GRC, it would give WP more elected seats in Parliament in one fell swoop than the Opposition has ever had since the left-wing Barisan Socialis walked out of the legislature in Singapore's early days.

**** PM Explains Why Steve Tan Dropped Out <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_661898.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said that 'there is no absolute certainty in any process of choosing people,' when explaining the unprecedented last-minute pullout of unionist Steve Tan from the PAP slate on Nomination Day.

Mr Lee was unequivocal that party leadership had not known about Mr Tan's past troubles, arguing that the change would not have been at the eleventh hour if they had.

He said that the party and Mr Tan could have 'pretended there was no problem and just carried on'. 'But Steve Tan is honourable, we are (as well), and we decided that awkward as it is, we just had to go through with this and made the last-minute change and explain to people: I'm sorry, something has come up...we have had to make a change.'

**** Thursday Night’s Rally Sites <http://blogs.todayonline.com/singaporevotes/2011/04/27/thursday-nights-rally-sites/>
Today

The Police Elections Liaison Office has issued permits for the rallies to be held tomorrow (Thursday) night. Get ready for your first chance to hear your candidates.

**** Mr Low Thia Khiang’s Open Letter To Voters Of Hougang And Aljunied GRC <http://wp.sg/wpge/2011/04/mr-low-thia-khiangs-open-letter-to-voters-of-hougang-and-aljunied-grc-english/?awesm=fbshare.me_AbKd2&utm_content=fbshare-js-large&utm_medium=fbshare.me-facebook-post&utm_source=facebook.com>
Workers' Party

Leaving Hougang is one of the hardest decisions I have ever made in my life. Hougang has been such a huge part of me. It was the Hougang people who gave me their vote of confidence to represent them in 1991. Over the next 20 years, they courageously supported me despite the ‘carrots and threats’ from the PAP government. I am grateful for their unwavering support. I am honoured and proud to have been their MP. Personally, if I have a choice I would continue to stay in Hougang where I have made many friends and have many fond memories of people there.

However there are times when all of us have to make tough decisions. For the Workers’ Party and I, the time is now. We are at the crossroads of Singapore’s political development. Both the PAP and opposition have to focus on renewal of our party leadership. The new PM is likely to be among this batch of PAP candidates. WP too needs to ensure a credible and responsible batch of leaders to work towards a First World Parliament where the government is accountable to the people.

**** 刘程强致后港单选区和阿裕尼集选区选民的公开信 <http://wp.sg/wpge/2011/04/刘程强致后港单选区和阿裕尼集选区选民的公开信/>
工人党

1991年,后港选民对我投下了信任票;此后的二十年里,哪怕面对行动党政府再多的威迫利诱,后港选民始终无畏无惧地站稳立场,充当我最坚实的后盾。后港选民坚定不渝的支持,我深深感动,永远铭记于心。能成为后港区的代议士,是我的荣幸与骄傲。在这里有许许多多相知相惜的朋友,大家都共同拥有无数美好的回忆。走出后港,是我这一生中最艰难的一次决定。后港已在不知不觉中成了我生命中难以割舍的牵系。

然而,人生总要面对抉择,总有必须作出艰难决定的时刻。对工人党以及对我而言,这个时刻已经到来。我们正处于新加坡政治蜕变的分水岭,反对党也和行动党一样,必须推动党内领导层更新,以发挥承先启後的作用。行动党宣告,我国的第四任总理很可能从这一次所推出的年轻候选人当中产生。工人党也必须确保有能干负责、诚信可靠的新一代领袖代表选民向执政党政府问责,以迈向第一世界国会。

**** Schedule Of Party Political Broadcast <http://blogs.todayonline.com/singaporevotes/2011/04/27/schedule-of-party-political-broadcast/>
Today

Seven political parties will make their party political broadcast over free-to-air radio and TV platforms in all four languages on Thursday, Apr 28.

**** Is My Vote Secret? Not Anymore <http://talkativemind.com/2011/04/is-my-vote-secret-not-anymore/>
Talkative Mind

A vote is alot more than just an ‘X’ on a piece of paper. It signify your agreement with that particular party.

**** GE: "Gay Video" Saga Put To Rest <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125274/1/.html>
Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

At a news conference held Wednesday afternoon, SDP Secretary-General Chee Soon Juan responded to the online comments made against Dr Vivian Balakrishnan's team.

"I think you can sense, you can see it's very clear the online reaction has been very negative towards (Dr Balakrishnan) and we ask him not to persist in this line.

"We are all hoping that we can run this campaign in the spirit that it was meant to be, and that is talking about issues that people are concerned about. And not get into personal attacks".