[MyAppleMenu] Apr 2, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 2 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** How To Enable Home Sharing On Mac And iOS Devices <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/01/how-to-enable-home-sharing-on-mac-and-ios-devices/>
Matt Tinsley, TUAW

**** Witness For iPhone Turns Your Mac Into A Home Alarm System <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/01/witness-for-iphone-turns-your-mac-into-a-home-alarm-system/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

Witness is a surveillance app that turns your Mac's camera into a motion sensor. The application runs in the background on your computer and will begin recording video or photos if motion is detected.

**** Connect An Android Phone To Mac OS X's Internet Sharing <http://www.macworld.com/article/158987/2011/04/android_wep_base_station.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

I had a mystery to unravel: why couldn’t her Android phone connect to a feature that’s been in Mac OS X for years, and which she’d used successfully before with other devices? What was unique about either the phone or the setup? And could I work through the technical answer in the style of a 1930s pulp-fiction detective?

**** App Store Shenanigans <http://cdixon.org/2011/04/01/app-store-shenanigans/>
Chris Dixon's Blog

Another platform, another way to game it.

**** The Good Of The Novel, Edited By Liam McIlvanney And Ray Ryan - Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/apr/02/good-of-the-novel-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Stefan Collini, The Guardian

This book contains some outstanding writing about fiction, about individual novels and also, along the way, about the power and reach of the novel as a form. In an age of drive-by reviewing, when every reader can tell the (electronic) world whether or not they "like" a particular book, these 13 essays together constitute something of a manifesto, speaking up for the continuing vitality of that traditional form, the critical essay, a discursive piece of writing which is longer than a journalistic review but more accessible than an academic article.

**** The Coincidence Engine By Sam Leith - Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/apr/02/sam-leith-coincidence-engine-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Colin Greenland, The Guardian

The Coincidence Engine is an absurdist novel of ideas, comparable to the books of Robert Anton Wilson: anarchic, psychedelic, with a serious delight in paradox

**** The Definitive Slang Dictionary <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/books/review/slanguage-books-review.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Ben Zimmer, New York Times

Back in 1937, when Eric Partridge’s groundbreaking “Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English” was first published, The New York Times Book Review ran a glowing notice. “The lost words of the language have finally come to roost,” it began. “The unmentionables are mentioned and carefully placed in proper alphabetical form.”

Now, nearly 75 years later, can a slang dictionary possibly hope to uncover any “lost words”? Are there any unmentionables left to mention?

**** Our False Beliefs About Language <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/books/review/book-review-you-are-what-you-speak-by-robert-lane-greene.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Geoffrey Nunberg, New York Times

“You Are What You Speak” is concerned more with the things people say about language than with the way it works. Readers will gain a deeper understanding of language structure and language change from the books of Pinker and McWhorter. But Greene comes into his own in his knowledgeable discussion of the politics of language in nations from Turkey to Israel to India, and of the folly in trying to regulate language from the top down.

**** Richard Feynman, The Thinker <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/books/review/book-review-quantum-man-richard-feynmans-life-in-science-by-lawrence-m-krauss.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
George Johnson, New York Times

It is not something easily summarized. Einstein discovered relativity. Murray Gell-Mann discovered the quark. And Feynman? Well, there was that thing he did on TV with the O-ring and the ice water, showing why the Challenger had disintegrated. But to physicists he is famous for something more obscure: cleaning up the mathematical mess known as quantum electrodynamics — an ambitious attempt to explain light and matter using two great theories, quantum mechanics and special relativity.

**** Singapore’s Biggest Arms Supplier Is… <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2011/04/singapores-biggest-arms-supplier-is.html>
Pressrun.net

Singapore’s biggest arms supplier has been France, followed by America.

**** Facing Up To Singapore’s Harsh Realities <http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/mar/29/facing-up-singapores-harsh-realities/>
Elvin Ong, Yale Daily News

I am not entirely against a Yale-NUS partnership. But the practical realities of operating in authoritarian Singapore must be recognized. Yale’s administrators must immediately address them in order to prevent the college from becoming just another “NATO” institution.

**** Singapore World’s Seventh Biggest Arms Importer <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2011/04/singapore-worlds-seventh-biggest-arms-importer.html>
Pressrun.net

**** Elections: Singapore’s PAP Has Hands Full <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/2011/04/01/elections-singapore%E2%80%99s-pap-has-hands-full/>
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

Interesting time lies ahead in Singapore and nowhere is that more discernible than in the climate of openness. And the ruling PAP which never had to deal with such problems suddenly finds its hands full, this time around.

**** Short Notice For Call-ups Of Police NSmen <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110402-0000562/Short-notice-for-call-ups-of-police-NSmen>
Yeo Shuan Chee, Today

Since last year, my staff have received several call-ups for in-camp training (ICT) by the SPF, and each time the notification is one month or less in advance - the latest came only two weeks prior to the reporting date.

**** RP's New Face Wants 'More Security In Employment' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110402-0000548/RPs-new-face-wants-more-security-in-employment>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

Mr Alec Tok, who has been married for 17 years, noted that elsewhere in the world, the educated see it as their responsibility to alleviate the plight of the poor.

**** We Want People To Do More For Themselves, Says SM Goh <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110402-0000611/We-want-people-to-do-more-for-themselves,-says-SM-Goh>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

The Republic is moving into an age where there is "more meaningful, constructive discussion" and Singaporeans can be engaged and encouraged to participate in the country's affairs, senior minister Goh Chok Tong said on Friday.

The bigger the government is, the more things people expect the government to do for them. For a start, the PAP government should start shrinking down the government and the money it needs. The size of the government today does not match the things it do for its people.

**** Cost Of Living And The Coming Elections... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/04/cost-of-living-and-coming-elections.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

The best system for ordinary Singaporeans is one that safeguard their interests and deliver the best quality of life possible over the long term - that is not the system we have today in which so much of the economic benefits of growth goes to a small concentrated segment of the population to produce the biggest income gap in the developed world.

**** Sexist Stereotypes <http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2011/4/1/sexist-stereotypes>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

In the local blogosphere, where cutting criticism of the government and the PAP abounds, the scorn heaped upon all the heads of the party’s newbies has been plentiful. But what has struck me is how criticism of the female candidates has been based on them being, well, female.

**** The GRC Voter's Dilemma <http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2011/4/1/the-voters-grc-dilemma>
Cassandra Chew, Straits Times

Netizens have called for these new faces to be fielded in an SMC instead of a GRC, so that voters get a chance to decide if they want them as their representatives. But given that the PAP has taken pains to ensure new and young blood is injected each term, for the sake of party renewal, the party is unlikely to send its newbies out to the SMCs.

So what’s a voter to do?

**** Chiam, Low Should Stay Put <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_652053.html>
Ang Kok Thiam, Straits Times

I do not see how the electorate can win, regardless of the outcome, if the two opposition stalwarts up the ante by leading a GRC opposition team each. Should opposition parties aspiring to form the government not take a longer-term view by preparing themselves better and not squander precious credibility?

A government with plenty of "mentor" minister, "senior" ministers, and ministers "without portfolio" can definitely afford to lose a few existing ministers in the polls even if it returns to power.

**** People, Don't Shun Opposition Walkabouts <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_652055.html>
Kumar Pillay Thangavalu, Straits Times

Singaporeans should be mature enough to engage in discussion with opposition candidates and use the opportunity to compare them with People's Action Party (PAP) candidates. Let us welcome opposition parties when they call on us and not avoid them. They deserve as much respect as PAP members.

How about if I shun them all? :)

**** Pricing Honesty Misses Larger Concerns <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_652058.html>
Tim Mou Hui, Straits Times

Just as we would not teach our children that wealth is all that matters, we should not entrench the pursuit of financial incentives in political office.

The thinking that ministers must be rewarded handsomely if we want them to serve honestly is not the way a government should operate. The political lifespan of a minister should instead depend on the people's mandate via free elections.

**** Pension Query <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_652048.html>
Young Pak Nang, Straits Times

According to press reports, barring Mr Wong, the rest are retiring, and not resigning, from service. Does this mean they will receive a pension and are eligible for medical benefits for life? If they have not reached the official retirement age yet, under what provisions are they allowed to retire and not required to resign from public service?

**** Public V Private Patients <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_652060.html>
Roy Chan, National Skin Centre, Straits Times

There was a miscommunication between our doctor and the appointment clerks at that time which resulted in the wrong information being given. We apologise for any inconvenience or distress caused.

**** Should Health-care Scheme Retain Class System? <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_652056.html>
Joyce Tan, Straits Times

**** Life After Political Office Here Can Be Rewarding <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_651925.html>
Paul Chan, Straits Times

Retired Members of Parliament also receive state pensions and serve as directors in the private sector.

Retired Singapore leaders may not be like their American counterparts who are offered lucrative speaking tours, but like most of their European counterparts, they have the opportunity to write and publish, or lecture in universities.

**** Made Of Sterner Stuff <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/04/made-of-sterner-stuff.html>
Singapore Notes

Their dedication to duty puts to shame the recent lot who simply dropped their responsibilities of high office and left in a lurch.

**** GE 2011 In A Soundbite <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/ge-2011-in-a-soundbite/>
The Online Citizen

**** PAP’s New Candidates Show Flaws In The System <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/paps-new-candidates-show-flaws-in-the-system/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

**** Feeling The Pinch Of Higher Prices <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/4/2/columnists/insightdownsouth/8398644&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

With the world’s highest increase in the proportion of millionaires, and massive foreign funds coming in, Singapore has been transformed for good. People can forget about prices falling back to pre-inflation levels, baring a calamity. The plague of 5%-5.5% inflation is eating into people’s salaries and savings.

Their CPF (Central Provident Fund) ordinary account pays them only 2.5% a year. “With this inflation, all citizens’ CPF will depreciate in value before we can even use it."

**** Name Change 'Sends Wrong Message' <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_652200.html>
Salma Khalik, Straits Times

Former Member of Parliament Tan Cheng Bock has stepped down from the board of the upcoming hospital in Jurong because he disagrees with its new name: the Ng Teng Fong Hospital. Dr Tan said that while he had nothing against the late property tycoon, whose family donated $125 million to the hospital, this was 'a moral issue' as it looked as if a rich man could pay to have a public institution named after him.

**** Why Are They So Afraid Of An Open Debate? Part 2 <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4699-why-are-they-so-afraid-of-an-open-debate-part-2>
Vincent Wijeyshingha, Singapore Democratic Party

We in the SDP don't want “a sense of fairness”, we want real fairness.

**** Saving The Line <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/saving-the-line/>
Joshua Chiang, The Online Citizen

For now, Dr Ho, the Nature Society and Faber Walk residents are pressing on – writing letters, conducting walks doing what they can in the fervent hope that the government overturns its decision.

**** Between A Damp Squib And A Beaten Bush Lies The PAP’s Future <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/between-a-damp-squib-and-a-beaten-bush-lies-the-paps-future/>
Yawning Bread

The problem is mainly on the People’s Action Party (PAP) side. Most opposition candidates, echoing their parties’ focus on broader social and economic issues, tend to speak up.

The PAP’s recruitment process is almost the root of the problem: it no longer even bothers to find out the beliefs of those it recruits.

**** GE: Goh Kim Seng To Lead SDA Team In Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1120297/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore Democratic Alliance has said that Goh Kim Seng will lead their team in Pasir-Ris Punggol GRC in the upcoming General Election.

**** Conflicting Views In The Opposition On Forming Govt <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110402-0001961/Conflicting-views-in-the-Opposition-on-forming-govt>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

**** Is This What Singapore Politics Is Like? <http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110401-271367.html>
Amanda Yong, Lediati Tan & Eugene Wee, New Paper

**** 外电:遭大陆修理后的李光耀这次访台老实多了 <http://blog.huanqiu.com/?uid-366810-action-viewspace-itemid-2027041>
环球兵的个人空间

**** Tilting The Playing Field <http://harishpillay.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/tilting-the-playing-field/>
Harish Pillay, Life One Degree North, One-O-Three Degrees East