[MyAppleMenu] Apr 1, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 1 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Desktoday On The Mac App Store <http://minimalmac.com/post/4238794645/desktoday-on-the-mac-app-store>
Minimal Mac

The concept is simple. Run it and it takes everything on the desktop and moves it into a folder with today’s date. A quick and dirty way to clean up your desktop…

**** You’re Probably Not Using TextEdit Enough <http://www.practicallyefficient.com/2011/03/31/textedit/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20PracticallyEfficient%20(practically%20efficient)>
J. Eddie Smith, IV, Efficient

Use it as a scratch pad – a temporary spot to hold numbers, bits of text, thoughts, or anything else that chips off during your productive process.

**** GarageBand Updates To 6.0.2, Improves iPad Support <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/31/garageband-updates-to-6-0-2-improves-ipad-support/>
Megan Lavey, TUAW

GarageBand has updated to 6.0.2, updating stability throughout the program and addressing support issues regarding projects that are imported from GarageBand for iPad.

**** Take Five Remembers To Restart The Music When You Don't <http://www.macworld.com/article/158963/2011/03/takefive_mac.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Have you ever suddenly realized that you’re sitting at your desk, working away, but yet something’s missing? At some point, you paused iTunes, and now all you’re hearing is the sound of silence—and I don’t mean Simon and Garfunkel. Thanks to Take Five, a new Mac app from the Iconfactory, you’ll never have to suffer through this terrible ordeal again.

**** Mac OS X 10.7 Lion To Introduce Multi-user Screen Sharing <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/31/mac_os_x_10_7_lion_to_introduce_multi_user_screen_sharing.html>
AppleInsider

In Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Screen Sharing morphs from a simple VNC remote screen viewer into a multiuser, Fast User Switching Remote Desktop solution similar to Microsoft's Terminal Services.

**** Arkansas To Get Its First Apple Retail Store <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/31/arkansas-to-get-its-first-apple-retail-store/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

Apple is set to open its first retail store in Arkansas. The store will be located in The Promenade at Chenal Mall in Little Rock, reports ifoAppleStore. While there is no hard opening date yet, all signs point to an October launch.

**** Moom 1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158973/2011/04/moom_review.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Like many similar utilities, Moom’s goal is to make it easier to put windows in commonly used configurations—specifically, taking up exactly half or a quarter of the screen, or zoomed to fill the entire screen. But Moom’s standout feature is that it uses Mac OS X’s own interface for zooming windows: the green “zoom” button in the upper-left corner of every window.

**** Font Problem In Mac OS X 10.6.7 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158968/2011/04/bugsandfixes_font_problems.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** Why Must Action Heroines Wear S&M Stripper Outfits To Kick Butt? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/mar/31/action-heroine-outfits-sucker-punch?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Anne Bilson, The Guardian

At least when Michelle Pfeiffer runs up her black PVC bodysuit in Batman Returns, it's made clear she's suffering from brain damage.

**** Unfinished Business <http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2062341,00.html#ixzz1IBYz4gln>
Lev Grossman, Time

When Pietsch finished his survey, he had found a total of 328 chapters and drafts and fragments from The Pale King, but Wallace had left no clues as to how they fit together. At that point Pietsch's role skewed from editor toward collaborator.

**** Of The 1%, By The 1%, For The 1% <http://www.vanityfair.com/society/features/2011/05/top-one-percent-201105?currentPage=all>
Joseph E. Stiglitz, Vanity Fair

Americans have been watching protests against oppressive regimes that concentrate massive wealth in the hands of an elite few. Yet in our own democracy, 1 percent of the people take nearly a quarter of the nation’s income—an inequality even the wealthy will come to regret.

**** Good Book, Great Film <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/apr/01/book-adaptations-film-jonathan-coe>
Jonathan Coe, The Guardian

In the course of their famous book-length interview, François Truffaut once asked Alfred Hitchcock about his approach to literary adaptation, and Hitch's response was as magisterial, worldly and mischievous as one would expect: "What I do is to read a story only once, and if I like the basic idea, I just forget all about the book and start to create cinema. Today I would be unable to tell you the story of Daphne du Maurier's The Birds. I read it only once, and very quickly at that."

**** Where’s The WP Mystery Man? <http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2011/3/31/where-s-the-wp-mystery-man>
Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

**** A Minimum Period Of Citizenship? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110401-0000043/A-minimum-period-of-citizenship?>
Young Pak Nang, Today

I think it is important that MPs and those holding political appointments should have shown a clear commitment to the country, as evidenced by citizenship for a substantial period, before they enter politics.

In Dr Janil's case, did he apply to become a citizen before or after he was invited to stand for election under the PAP banner? And what took him so long - some seven to eight years - to decide to become a citizen?

**** Don't Label Critics Without Considering Their Views <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110401-0000040/Dont-label-critics-without-considering-their-views>
Tan Pei Ying, Today

I personally have no qualms about a candidate's age or, and choice of lifestyle is not my concern. However, the ability to analyse, empathise and be open to alternative views from people of all walks of life is an important attribute of any potential politician.

**** Taking The Higher Ground <http://harishpillay.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/taking-the-higher-ground/>
Harish Pillay, Life One Degree North, One-O-Three Degrees East

So, let’s take the higher ground. Let’s show the world that Singaporeans are fair and passionate people.

**** Chen Show Mao <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/04/chen-show-mao.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

And this guy served his National Service.

**** MPs Should Focus On National Issues <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_651685.html>
Michael Seah, Straits Times

Are our candidates satisfied merely with ensuring that their housing estates are clean and the lifts are working, and writing letters on their constituents' behalf?

If that is so, why would we need so many Members of Parliament? Why not a separate slate of local councillors?

**** I Don't Buy That <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/04/i-dont-buy-that.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

I dunno about how the rest of the Singaporeans feel. For me, a new citizen is just not ready, not proven to be a stayer, through thick and thin. It takes years, maybe a life time to feel and become part of a place called country and home.

**** Tin Pei Ling And The Real Reason Why Singaporeans Are Annoyed <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/04/tin-pei-ling-and-real-reason-why.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

All I can say is that in a normal, healthy and genuine democracy, Pei Ling's youth, in itself, would not have caused such an outcry.

However, Singapore is not a normal, healthy and genuine democracy. And that is why there is a public outcry. People already know that most likely, Pei Ling will not contest on her own in a single-member constituency.

**** So who do you vote for? 4G Leaders or Hopefuls? <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/04/so-who-do-you-vote-for-4g-leaders-or-hopefuls.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown

Not even voted in yet already positioned as 4th Generation leadership of Singapore. It must be nice to be sure-win candidates.

**** PAP's Dr Janil Puthucheary: I Saved Kids' Lives <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/04/janil-puthucheary-i-saved-kids-lives.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown

I am not sure that was a satisfactory response to many Singaporean males. I have no doubt he is a fine doctor and he served the public in this way. But getting all defensive like that just made him look like an arrogant fellow to blokes who have served their NS time (2-2.5 years of active service and 10 years of reservist).

**** We Come To Defend Lee Hsien Loong, Not Ridicule Him <http://theowlcritic.blogspot.com/2011/03/we-come-to-defend-lee-hsien-loong-not.html>
The Owl

We have heard the scurrillous lies, spread by your political enemies no doubt, that you have collected about S$3,500,000 in salary and bonuses, not including perks. We write to assure you, sir, that we do not believe a word of it.

We still remember, sir, that you had rejected generous offers in England, in order, you said at the time, to return and serve your people. We believe you will not be taking more than S$1 per year as token sum, as long as you are given the opportunity to serve your nation. Because of course you do not need such monies. Why would you accept such horrendous sums? Unlike many Singaporeans even today, you come from an extremely well-off family.

**** PAP New Faces: Yes, Yes, Yes Minister? Part 2 <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/pap-new-faces-yes-yes-yes-minister-part-2/>
Spotlight On Singapore

Here in Singapore it is truly remarkable that even with 82 members out of a total of 94, the ruling party has such an unerring congruence of views.

**** Tin Pei Ling And PAP - Arguments For And Against <http://diluted-enigma.blogspot.com/2011/03/tin-pei-ling-and-pap.html>
Insights, Interests, Intelligence

**** 新大跨党论坛临时取消 革新党主持“替代”论坛 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110401_010.shtml>
林诗慧, 联合早报

新加坡管理大学学生昨晚原本为来届大选举办跨党论坛,不过却因执政的人民行动党没能派出代表而作罢。革新党最终决定代为主持,不过论坛内容截然不同。

**** 张志贤诠释“买一送一” 即投选行动党候选人 让反对党人作非选区议员 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110401_006.shtml>
周殊钦, 联合早报

副总理兼国防部长张志贤对反对党提出的“买一送一”概念做了一番新的诠释。同样是“买一送一”,不过是投有能力和资源的行动党候选人一票,让反对党候选人以非选区议员身分进入国会。

**** Why Are They So Afraid Of An Open Debate? Part 1 <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4698-why-are-they-so-afraid-of-an-open-debate-part-1>
Vincent Wijeysingha, Singapore Democratic Party

My purpose in going through these publications is to make the argument that in a democratic society and one where the government party of the moment is not insecure of its own positions and popularity, it would not shy away from a free and open policy debate.

The PAP, on the other hand, is highly apprehensive of the electorate. After years of mismanagement of the economy, the hundreds of billions of our money wasted in ill-judged investments, the crippling of access to public services through the introduction of the profit motive, I would be too.

And yet it continues to reward itself quite out of measure with its failures.

**** What Happened To Renew, Rehab, Restart? <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/03/31/what-happened-to-renew-rehab-restart/>
Funny Little World

I don’t think that Vui Kong, Ah Yen or Iqah are hardened drug traffickers. From hearing their stories, they sound more like victims of social circumstances, of their own naivety and gullibility, of their own emotions. And sure, they have made mistakes. They should not have been so trusting. They should have been more savvy and more cautious. They should have checked the bags. They should not have agreed to carry things through customs for others. There are plenty of “should have”s and “should not have”s that we can hurl at them.

But should the price that they have to pay for these mistakes and regrets really be death?

**** Get Landlords To Really Commit To Holding Down Rentals <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110401-0000662/Get-landlords-to-really-commit-to-holding-down-rentals>
Cheong Chee Mun, Today

It would be more useful to get the landlords, especially the authorities, who own many of the food centres to commit to holding down rentals or even look into reducing them and making sure the operators, ie the stallholders, benefit.

**** Young S'poreans Not "Hungry Enough", Says SM Goh <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1120174/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Mr Goh said the more appropriate description for the younger generation is perhaps, that they are "not hungry enough" and that is due, in part, to the fact that Singapore has been successful, over the years.

**** Are The Attacks On Ms Tin Pei Ling A Lie? <http://sgfrag.net/2011/04/01/are-the-attacks-on-ms-tin-pei-ling-a-lie/>
sgfrag.net

While I do not condone the personal attacks, there are a couple of things that are surely truths. Perhaps Mr Khaw would be interested to come out and share it with us and not try and deflect the matter (truth or lies) by painting everything with the same ‘lying’ brush.