[MyAppleMenu] Oct 22, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 22 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Why Apple's New Mac App Store Gives Me The Willies <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/why-apples-new-mac-app-store-gives-me-the-willies/9559>
David Gewirtz, ZDNet

It’s that OS X with a Mac App store could inspire other vendors to shut down software freedom and finally, drunk on DRM, make the nightmare of Orwell’s 1984 into a reality.

**** Is Apple's $20.5 Million Backdating Settlement Illegal? <http://www.cnbc.com/id/39776098?__source=yahoo%7Cheadline%7Cquote%7Ctext%7C&par=yahoo>
John Carney, CNBC

**** Apple Defends Itself Against Discrimination Charge <http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/10/22/2010102200910.html>
The Chosunilbo

Apple would be willing to improve its customer service policy for Korean iPhone users if a directly operated branch in Korea is established, Farrel Farhoudi, a senior director for the IT company's iPhone service, said in a parliamentary audit on Thursday.

**** Can You Trust A Steve Jobs Email? "Nope." <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/21/can-you-trust-a-steve-jobs-email-nope/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

Does that mean Jobs was lying? Not lying so much as 'selectively answering.' The developer asked Jobs a two-part question to which Jobs answered truthfully to one part (you will still be able to install & run OS X apps on the Mac that are not bought through the Mac App Store) and left out the part where Apple was actually working on a Mac App Store.

**** Apple Promptly Fixes Facetime For Mac Beta Security Flaw <http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/22/embarrassing.vulnerability.patched.pronto/>
Electronista

**** Steve Jobs Comments On Apple's Java Discontinuation <http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/22/steve-jobs-comments-on-apples-java-discontinuation/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com

"Sun (now Oracle) supplies Java for all other platforms. They have their own release schedules, which are almost always different than ours, so the Java we ship is always a version behind. This may not be the best way to do it."

**** All The App Stores <http://dashes.com/anil/2010/10/all-the-app-stores.html>
Anil Dash

**** Your New Age, And Mine <http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/10/your_new_age_and_mine.html>
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

You may have absorbed the idea that it's about the afterlife. It would be fairer to say it's about the common human need for there to be an afterlife.

**** All Programs Considered <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/nov/11/all-programs-considered/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Bill McKibben, New York Review Of Books

Radio receives little critical attention. Of the various methods for communicating ideas and emotions—books, newspapers, visual art, music, film, television, the Web—radio may be the least discussed, debated, understood.

**** mrbrown Hates The Haze <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/say-what-mrbrown/mrbrown-fights-haze-334774>
CNNGo

Our four seasons in Singapore seem to be Hot, Hotter, Haze, Monsoon Rains.

**** 外籍妻子无法入境 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101022_010.shtml>
郭仁俊, 联合早报

据知,永久居民和一些持S Pass的外劳,他们也可以申请家属来新长住,我是土生土长的老公民,连申请自己的老婆回家也成问题,请问是否不合常理?

**** MPs Asked To Prepare <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_593974.html>
Straits Times

Three first-term MPs in Marine Parade GRC have been asked by their team leader, Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, to prepare for the possibility of standing in a single-seat constituency at the next general election.

**** Caning Punishment In Singapore "Not Appropriate": U.S. <http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-10/22/c_13569402.htm>
Xinhua

The U.S. State Department said on Thursday that caning in Singapore is "not an appropriate form of punishment" as an American citizen may face such penalty due to immigration violation in the Southeast Asian country. "This is something we've made clear in our human rights report and also something we've conveyed to the government of Singapore in our bilateral discussions," said State Department spokesman Mark Toner.

**** Is A Totally Smoke-Free Singapore Possible? <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/10/22/is-a-totally-smoke-free-singapore-possible/>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

The Health Promotion Board (HPB) has not ruled out the option of a lifelong ban on the sale of tobacco, starting with the young generation today.

**** Malaysia, Singapore End Two-Day Meeting Today <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=537451>
Bernama

Malaysian foreign minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman and his Singapore counterpart George Yeo said in a joint press statement that both sides were pleased with the momentum of the MSJIT process and the progress achieved so far.

**** HDB Resale Flat Prices Continue To Rise <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1088680/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

The HDB resale market saw prices reaching another record level in the third quarter despite measures to cool the property market announced in August.

**** The Best And Worst Buildings In Singapore <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/best-and-worst-buildings-singapore-312466>
Daven Wu, CNNGo

Cast an eye around the island’s built environment and it quickly becomes clear that this is a country that’s unafraid to speculate and tinker. Quite often, the results are spectacular, as in the case of WoHa’s soaring Church of St Mary of the Angels, but equally, there have been certified duds.

**** Southeast Asia One Step Closer To Linking Singapore And China In Massive Railway Network <http://www.fastcompany.com/1697078/southeast-asia-one-step-closer-to-linking-singapore-and-china-in-massive-railway-network>
Jenara Nerenberg, Fast Company

Cambodia is the "missing link," but millions of dollars are being poured in to repair its fragmented portion of the Singapore-Kunming Rail Link Project.