[MyAppleMenu] Oct 21, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 21 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** 70/30: Apple’s Magic Moneymaking Machine <http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/10/20/7030-apples-magic-moneymaking-machine/>
John Biggs, CrunchGear

To sum up, the App store is a great move for programmers and it’s an especially good move for Apple. Depending on how cynical you are, you can say Apple is expanding the potential audience of app buyers or locking down devs in an arduous financial deal. Either way, Apple makes money.

**** Apple Posts Guidelines For Mac App Store (And We Have Highlights) <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/20/apple-posts-guidelines-for-mac-app-store-and-we-have-highlights/>
Josh Helfferich, TUAW

**** The New MacBook Air <http://www.marco.org/1361316116>
Marco Arment

**** App Store Will Increase Competition In Mac Software <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/the-mac-app-store-will-create-competition/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

This might seem like a benefit for traditional software developers like Adobe and Microsoft, but in reality, it will put them up against a whole new range of competitors that can distribute desktop software in a way that consumers are now familiar with.

**** Analyzing The New Mac Landscape <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/analyzing-the-new-mac-landscape/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Sam Grobart, New York Times

**** Apple's Mac App Store Reinvents Software Sales <http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227900419>
Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek

Some Mac OS developers see problems with Apple's 'onerous' terms.

**** App Store For Mac Highlights Two Major App Store Flaws <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/20/app-store-for-mac-highlights-two-major-app-store-flaws/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

**** Apple Flips The Playbook, Putting Mobile Tech In PCs <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/technology/21apple.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Miguel Helft, New York Times

Over the last few years, Apple used technologies from its Macintosh computers to create the iPhone and the iPad, building a multibillion-dollar mobile computing business that now accounts for 60 percent of its revenue.

Now Apple is doing the reverse, taking technologies like the multitouch user interface from the iPhone and the iPad and using them to refresh its Mac business.

**** Aperture 3.1 Update Brings Loads Of Changes <http://www.macworld.com/article/155058/2010/10/aperture31.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

The Aperture 3.1 update includes loads of changes, fixes, and improvements in the areas of the Aperture library, adjustments, Faces, printing, slideshows, Places, metadata, search, importing, tethering, importing from iPhoto, exporting, Web sharing, video, books, and plug-ins.

**** Macbook Air: All Substance, No Flash <http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/macbook-air-all-substance-no-flash/>
Ross Miller, Engadget

Amusingly enough, you know what's missing from the new MacBook Air models? Adobe Flash Player.

**** The Steve Gambit <http://rixstep.com/2/1/20101020,01.shtml>
Rixstep

**** Apple Software Releases Include Java Updates, Prokit Fixes <http://www.macworld.com/article/155060/2010/10/javaupdates_prokit.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

**** Mac App Store Is Wednesday's Biggest News <http://www.macworld.com/article/155040/2010/10/mac_app_store_big_news.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

When it comes to the everyday experience of your typical Mac user, the announcement of the Mac App Store—and the fact that it will be available in the next 90 days—just may be the biggest Mac news in quite a while.

**** Facetime For Mac – A Serious Threat For Your Apple Id <http://www.macnotes.net/2010/10/21/facetime-for-mac-a-serious-threat-for-your-apple-id/>
MacNotes.de

While many users are happy about having FaceTime on their Mac, we are a little anxious about some security glitches present in the current beta of the software. With a few clicks others can make use of the user’s Apple ID and reset the password with ease.

**** Will The Mac Remain An Open Platform? <http://scripting.com/stories/2010/10/21/willTheMacRemainAnOpenPlat.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

I know intuitively that we took the next step yesterday toward the day when the Mac is not an open platform in this sense. I'm not going to say it's right or wrong, or a betrayal of trust, or make any moral judgements. I'm not even going to say it's not wise, for all I know it's the best business decision Apple could make.

But for me, it sucks. Makes me sad.

**** What Happened To iWeb? <http://www.macworld.com/article/155063/2010/10/iwebwhere.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

There are more Websites online now than ever. And despite iWeb’s considerable issues, it’s still a great app for the consumer audience it was intended to serve. And there’s plenty of enthusiasm around iWeb—just note the constant stream of new templates for it, for example.

**** First Look: 11.6-inch MacBook Air <http://www.macworld.com/article/155067/2010/10/firstlook_10inch_air.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

After an afternoon with Apple’s smallest laptop, we share some first impressions.

**** First Look: iPhoto '11 <http://www.macworld.com/article/155064/2010/10/firstlook_iphoto.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Heather Kelly, Macworld

iPhoto ’11, Apple’s latest version of its popular photo editing and management software, doesn’t introduce dramatic new features, like iPhoto ’09 did with Faces and Places. But what it does debut are some well designed new features and inspired integrations.

**** Why Apple Saddled The MacBook Air With "Gimped" CPUs <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/10/why-apple-saddled-the-macbook-air-with-gimped-cpus.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

The combination of Core 2 Duo processor and NVIDIA 320M graphics is more powerful than the Atom and Intel IGP combo used in notebooks of similar size. While some comparable ultraportables use newer Arrandale chips in them, most also cost significantly more than the revised MacBook Air models.

**** Apple Issues Review Guidelines For Mac App Store <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/10/20/apple_issues_review_guidelines_for_mac_app_store.html>
AppleInsider

**** Office For Mac Isn’t An Improvement <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/office-for-mac-isnt-an-improvement/>
David Pogue, New York Times

What follows, then, is an extremely personal review of Word and Outlook. A rant about polish and priority, really.

**** Reason 5.0 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/700075/review/reason_50.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Peter Kirn, Macworld

Reason 5 is a must-have upgrade for anyone who uses audio inputs or samples, or wants to program beats. For those who haven’t used Reason for a while, Kong is worth a second look. Superior sound design power coupled with elegant, efficient editing makes for one of the most accessible, fun-to-use drum machines in software yet.

**** Apple Quietly Deprecates OS X's Factory-Fitted Java <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/21/apple-quietly-discontinuing-os-xs-factory-fitted-java/>
Richard Gaywood, TUAW

In an announcement on developer.apple.com, Apple states that "As of the release of Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3, the version of Java that is ported by Apple, and that ships with Mac OS X, is deprecated." It now seems likely that OS X 10.7 will not have a Java install built into the OS, although the current runtime will continue to be supported during the regular support cycles for Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6.

**** Mac App Store: Boon Or Bust For Developers? <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/10/mac-app-store-boon-or-bust-for-developers.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

All the developers we spoke with agree that Apple made the right move by making the Mac App Store just one of several ways to install applications. Unlike iOS, Apple is still allowing users to install applications from any source they choose.

Still, many are concerned about the future direction of software distribution if the App Store becomes so popular that users begin ignoring other sources.

**** iMovie '11 Trailers Feature Won't Let You Spoof Universal Trailers <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/21/imovie-11-trailers-feature-wont-let-you-spoof-universal-traile/>
Victor Agreda, Jr., TUAW

**** First Look: GarageBand '11 <http://www.macworld.com/article/155068/2010/10/garagband11_first_look.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Teardown Of Apple's 11.6-In MacBook Air Shows Six Internal Batteries <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/10/21/teardown_of_apples_11_6_in_macbook_air_shows_six_internal_batteries.html>
AppleInsider

**** Is The Mac Becoming A Closed Platform? <http://rc3.org/2010/10/21/is-the-mac-becoming-a-closed-platform/>
rc3.org

My sense is that we’re going to see people using App Store apps and traditionally installed apps side by side for a long time. The review requirements make it clear that users will be unable to install the kinds of applications they need for many kinds of work by way of the App Store, so the Mac will need to remain an open platform in order to accommodate those users.

**** Developers Have Hopes, Questions For Mac App Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/155061/2010/10/developers_mac_app_store.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

The software makers Macworld spoke to—a range that includes both independent developers as well as some from established and sizable shops—are generally enthusiastic about this turn of events. But most have more questions than answers about the Mac App Store at this stage.

**** Developer Reactions To The Mac App Store <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/21/developer-reactions-to-the-mac-app-store/>
Brett Terpstra, TUAW

**** Apple Offers New MacBook Pro Processor Configuration <http://www.macworld.com/article/155070/2010/10/mbp_processor.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Portable speed demons who like to wring every last megahertz from their MacBooks have a new option as of Thursday as Apple has added an option for a 2.8GHz Core i7 processor to certain MacBook Pro models.

**** Longing For The Lines That Had Us At Hello <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/movies/20lines.html?_r=1>
Michael Cieply, New York Times

Sticky movie lines were everywhere as recently as the 1990s. But they appear to be evaporating from a film world in which the memorable one-liner — a brilliant epigram, a quirky mantra, a moment in a bottle — is in danger of becoming a lost art.

**** U.S. Man Faces Caning In Singapore <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304011604575564012145605090.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Wall Street Journal

A U.S. businessman could become the first American sentenced to caning in Singapore in 16 years if convicted of breaking the city-state's immigration laws, a prospect that has drawn the attention of U.S. officials.

**** Singapore Wraps Up Case Against British Author <http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/202405/singapore-wraps-up-case-against-british-author>
AFP

Singapore on Wednesday wrapped up its case against a British journalist who it accused of attacking the judiciary, calling his book on the city-state's death penalty the worst form of contempt of court.

**** PSLE English Paper: No Unfair Advantage <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_593337.html>
Tan Lay Choo, Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board, Straits Times

>From time to time, it is possible that schools or students in their revision may have come across articles with content similar to passages used in the PSLE. However, as comprehension cloze passages are designed to test language skills, prior exposure to similar content would not necessarily provide an advantage to students.

**** What I Would Have Done Differently: PM <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101021-0000126/What-I-would-have-done-differently--PM>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

Given the world's accelerated pace of change and how hard it is to predict tomorrow's economic "winners", prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said he would, in retrospect, have started equipping Singaporeans five to 10 years earlier.

"I think if we had known how quickly the pace of change would accelerate and how much our people would be under pressure from globalisation, we would have prepared them for it earlier," said Mr Lee, in reply to CNN International Asia-Pacific managing editor Ellana Lee's question on whether he would have done anything differently on hindsight.

**** 李显龙总理:一个能干廉洁的政府 才能继续带动新加坡发展 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101021_008.shtml>
郭丽娟 周殊钦 游润恬, 联合早报

在过去近50年,新加坡有幸能在稳固的政治体系下取得良好发展,但在世界面对严峻挑战和威胁时,政府其实从未松懈下来。

李显龙总理指出新加坡是个小国,无时无刻都在担忧国家的前途,而国家也需要一个能干廉洁的政府,才能继续带动未来的发展。

**** Temasek, In Review <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/10/temasek-in-review/>
Howard Lee, The Online Citizen

This has the makings of a David vs Goliath saga.

**** Singapore Aquires Another Submarine <http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20101021-243446.html>
AsiaOne

**** Name Change Due To A Lapse <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_593452.html>
Bryan Huang, Straits Times

The Temasek Review, which on Wednesday night carried a masthead that displayed 'New Temasek Review', has claimed that the name change was due to a slow response from its web host.

**** Haze Blanketing Singapore Prompts Complaint At Indonesia Fires <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-21/singapore-government-urges-indonesia-to-deal-with-haze-from-forest-fires.html>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s environment minister reminded Indonesia to deal with the recurring problem of forest fires on the island of Sumatra after a bout of smoke haze covered Singapore and western Malaysia.

**** Minimum Wage? Not Us, We Are Singapore <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/fmt-english/opinion/comment/11831-minimum-wage-not-us-we-are-singapore>
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

There is nothing morally wrong with what Lim had proposed. Even ideologically, too, such a scheme is very much in keeping with the city-state’s preference for self-reliance over any remotely perceived notion of taking hand-outs. But as matters stand, today’s world is far more complex than the medieval China the sage extolled.

**** 李总理心中杰出领袖 是苏哈多和拉宾 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101021_011.shtml>
郭丽娟 周殊钦 游润恬, 联合早报

印尼前总统苏哈多和以色列前总理拉宾,是李显龙总理心目中两位最有效领导国家的领袖。

**** Will Alan Shadrake Verdict Affect Yale's Plan To Set Up A College In Singapore? <http://asiancorrespondent.com/the-asia-file/will-alan-shadrake-verdict-affect-yale-s-plan-to-set-up-a-college-in-singapore>
Ben Bland, Asian Correspondent

**** Public Transport Operators Met Service Standards: Ptc <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1088452/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Public Transport Council (PTC) said the public transport operators have generally met service standards in the six month period between December 2009 and May 2010.

**** PUB To Raise Road Levels In Orchard <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1088435/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

A 1.4 kilometre low-lying stretch in Orchard Road will be raised to protect it against flash floods. The authorities decided to raise the level of Orchard Road by an average of 30 centimetres to prevent rainwater from overflowing onto the roads.

**** PSI Crosses 100 <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_593615.html>
Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

The Pollutants Standards Index (PSI), measured in three-hourly slots, hit 108 at 6pm on Thursday - breaching the unhealthy threshold of 100 for the first time since 2006.