[MyAppleMenu] Oct 19, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 19 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Steve Jobs Squashes Rumors Of Smaller, 7-Inch Ipad From Apple <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/10/18/steve_jobs_squashes_rumors_of_smaller_7_inch_ipad.html>
AppleInsider

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs on Monday took pause during his company's fourth quarter conference call to extinguish rumors that the company is working on a smaller iPad based around a 7-inch screen.

**** Apple Sells 250,000 $99 Apple Tvs In First Six Weeks <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/10/18/apple_sells_250000_99_apple_tvs_in_first_six_weeks.html>
AppleInsider

**** Apple's Jobs Blasts Rivals As iPad Sales Disappoint <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69H4UX20101018>
Gabriel Madway, Reuters

Apple Inc CEO Steve Jobs went on the offensive on Monday after a rare sales disappointment by the iPad maker sent its shares tumbling, but his biting words failed to reverse market sentiment.

**** Twitter: 'We Aren't Actively Planning' Tweetie 2 For Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/154968/2010/10/tweetie2_mac_twitter.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Between neither “actively investing” nor “actively planning” Tweetie 2 for Mac, it seems that the once-innovative Twitter client may now slowly wither away. The current incarnation still works, though it lacks integration with not-so-new Twitter features like native retweets and lists.

**** Apple Plans Massive Retail Expansion For 2011 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/10/18/apple_plans_massive_retail_expansion_for_2011.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

On the heels of a record breaking quarter, Apple's retail operations are set to dramatically expand over the next fiscal year, with 40 to 50 new locations slated to open worldwide.

**** Jobs Speaks! The Complete Transcript <http://www.macworld.com/article/154980/2010/10/jobs_transcript.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Macworld

Steve Jobs had a lot to say Monday during his conference call with analysts following Apple's announcement of record earnings and sales. Here's the Apple CEO in his own words.

**** iPad Against The World: Apple Is Everywhere <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=3244679&pagtype=allchandate>
Tony Bradley, Macworld UK

While rivals unveil prototypes, the iPad has already sold millions and is available almost everywhere you look.

**** A Misguided Defense To Steve Jobs' Android Attack <http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20019997-264.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Stephen Shankland, CNET

Apple has plenty to worry about when it comes to Android competition. But touting the ability to build Android from scratch is probably the easiest part of the Android threat for Apple to laugh off. As Apple has demonstrated, technology customers prefer finished products to raw materials.

**** PowerTunes 1.1.3 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/709810/review/powertunes_113.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

>From within the PowerTunes window, you can create as many new iTunes libraries—or add as many existing libraries—as you like, each with its own media and settings.

**** Steve Jobs: Apple Will Use $51B For Big Moves, Not 'Stupid' Ones <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/10/19/steve_jobs_apple_will_use_51b_for_big_moves_not_stupid_ones.html>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs hinted this week that his company is eyeing a few major acquisitions with its massive $51 billion in cash, with just "one or more" deals possible in the near future, rather than a spending spree.

**** iPad Functionality Just What Doctor Ordered <http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/health/2814148,CST-NWS-health19.article>
Monifa Thomas, Chicago Sun-Times

Emergency room doctors are using them to order lab tests and medication. Plastic surgeons are using them to show patients what they might look like after surgery. And medical residents are using them as a quick reference to look up drug interactions and medical conditions.

Since Apple's iPad hit the market in April, doctors at Chicago area hospitals are increasingly using the hot-selling tablet as a clinical tool.

**** Amazon Updates Kindle For Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/154984/2010/10/amazon_kindle_for_mac.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Scott McNulty, Macworld

Amazon's updated reader now lets you add and edit notes and highlight passages, both of which are synced across all Kindle devices and apps using the company's Whispersync technology. This update also includes the ability to search within a book, a much-requested feature. Multi-column reading mode, which was just added to the iOS Kindle apps, makes its debut on Kindle for Mac with this release as well.

**** Five Fantastic Address Book Tips <http://www.macworld.com/article/154974/2010/10/addressbook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Bare Bones Updates Yojimbo, Rolls Out iPad Version <http://www.macworld.com/article/154992/2010/10/yojimbo.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

Users of Bare Bones Software’s Yojimbo information organizer can now take their data with them. Bare Bones has released an iPad companion app for Yojimbo that stores the notes, passwords, PDFs, bookmarks, and images you’d stash in the desktop version.

**** Four Things We Learned From Apple Earnings <http://www.macworld.com/article/154995/2010/10/appleearnigns.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Tom Kaneshige, CIO

**** FaceTime Not Available In The Middle East After All, Even On The iPod Touch <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/10/facetime-middle-east-ipod-touch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Alexander Vaughn, AppAdvice

**** TweetDeck CEO: You're Wrong, Steve Jobs <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-20020045-36.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Caroline McCarthy , CNET

Dodsworth elaborated, "We only have two guys developing on Android TweetDeck so that shows how small an issue fragmentation is."

**** Time Expired <http://www.slate.com/id/2271254/>
Tom Vanderbilt, Slate Magazine

The end of the parking meter.

**** UN Savory Tale Of Roald Dahl, Graham Greene And A Literary Mystery <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mind-your-language/2010/oct/19/un-savory-roald-dahl-greene?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
David Marsh, The Guardian

Authors have long used characters' names for comic effect. Sometimes they may even be real.

**** Morals Without God? <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/morals-without-god/?ref=opinion>
Frans de Waal, New York Times

Five centuries later, we remain embroiled in debates about the role of religion in society. As in Bosch’s days, the central theme is morality. Can we envision a world without God? Would this world be good?

**** Good Chocolate Doesn't Have To Be Dark <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/oct/13/good-chocolate-dark-milk-white>
Trish Deseine, The Guardian

The idea that the darker the chocolate, the better it is isn't the whole truth. Milk and white chocolates deserve a little more respect.

**** The Readers Behind Bars Put Books To Many Uses <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/books/20book.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

A funny thing happens to “Running the Books” as it inches forward. Mr. Steinberg’s sentences start to pop out at you, at first because they’re funny and then because they’re acidly funny. The book slows down. It blossoms. Mr. Steinberg proves to be a keen observer, and a morally serious one. His memoir is wriggling and alive — as involving, and as layered, as a good coming-of-age novel.

**** 'Civic Life: Tiong Bahru': The Real Side Of Singapore's Oldest Housing Estate <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/civic-life-tiong-bahru-865339>
Sylvia Tan YL, CNNGo

In these cosmopolitan times, the sweaty Irishman tucking into a plate of vegetarian pad Thai at Tiong Bahru Market may not merit much of a second glance from the neighborhood's uncles and aunties. But Joe Lawlor is no ordinary ang moh in search of good food.

Names of people and places like MP Koo Tsai Kee and Bukit Ho Swee trip off his tongue naturally. Lawlor is a filmmaker who has spent over 70 days traveling between London and Singapore the past two years, preparing to film the first ever 35mm film dedicated to historic 1930’s Tiong Bahru district.

**** 巴士网络年底分阶段改善 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101019_001.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

陆路交通管理局完成所有选区的巴士路线咨询工作,年底在一些选区逐步推行首轮改善计划,包括武吉班让、碧山—大巴窑和三巴旺集选区,以为居民提供更完善的巴士服务。

**** 该不该废除考试? 宁可不送孩子上学校 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101019_008.shtml>
联合早报

一次又一次的补习工作,一次又一次地看见自己的学生渐渐失去了原本应有的童真与笑容,让我毅然有了结婚生子后,绝不送自己的孩子上学校的想法。一个人的价值不是一张纸,一个分数或是任何的工作头衔所能衡量的。

**** F1赠票迟到 因邮件不合规格须人工处理 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101019_032.shtml>
联合早报

新加坡邮政公司迟至上月22日傍晚才接到要寄给青年奥运会义工的一级方程式(F1)大赛免费票,而且一些邮件并未密封,需要重新包装,所以导致部分义工在大赛结束后隔日(9月27日)才收到赠票。

**** Author Admits Factual Error <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_592638.html>
Khushwant Singh, Straits Times

British author Alan Shadrake on Tuesday admitted a factual error in his book and told the High Court he will be correcting it in the next print run.

Shadrake, a 75-year-old Briton, conceded he was wrong to state that first-time drug abusers ordinarily received the maximum 10 years' jail. But he denied scandalising the Singapore judiciary in his book, entitled Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock.

**** What Goes Up Never Comes Down <http://nabbedd.wordpress.com/2010/10/19/what-goes-up-never-comes-down/>
It's All About Amelioration

**** What Do Newlyweds Want In A Flat? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC101019-0000202/Online-only---What-do-newlyweds-want-in-a-flat?>
Gerald Giam, Today

While Mr Mah is right that Singaporeans' expectations have changed, they have not changed so drastically that they are now expecting condo-style living in a HDB flat. This is evidenced by the fact that every new development launched by HDB in the past year has been significantly oversubscribed, even for those offering only standard flats.

**** 5 SDP Members Fined For Public Assembly Without Permit <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1088032/1/.html>
Shaffiq Alkhatib, Channel NewsAsia

Five Central Executive Committee (CEC) members of the Singapore Democratic Party, including its Secretary-General Chee Soon Juan, were each fined between S$900 and S$1,000 on Tuesday for participating in a public assembly without a permit.

**** Air Quality In Singapore Dips Slightly <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1088029/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The air quality in Singapore dipped slightly on Tuesday with a PSI (Pollutant Standards Index) reading of 56 which is in the moderate range.

**** “This Proceeding Itself Scandalises The Judiciary” – M Ravi <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/10/defense-“this-proceeding-itself-scandalises-the-judiciary”/>
The Online Citizen

Defense counsel for Mr Alan Shadrake, Mr M Ravi, said in his conclusion that the contempt of court proceedings were “a sure wastage of the Court’s resources” and “entirely contemptuous”.