[MyAppleMenu] Oct 18, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 18 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Other Sync Options <http://www.macworld.com/article/154849/2010/10/other_sync_options.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

Some alternatives to MobileMe and Google.

**** New Adobe Reader Sandboxed, Simplified <http://www.macworld.com/article/154937/2010/10/pdfreader.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Joab Jackson, IDG News Service

Adobe has launched the new version of its Reader PDF viewing software, and with it comes a number of changes: a new Roman-based numbering scheme (“Adobe Reader X”), tightened security and, for the browser version, a substantially reduced user interface. Adobe’s flagship PDF creation software, Adobe Acrobat, has been upgraded as well.

**** On Apple And Its (Enviable) Problems <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704049904575554522490491154.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Yukari Iwatani Kane, Wall Street Journal

Oh, to have Apple Inc.'s kind of problem. While consumer confidence remains weak, the strength of Apple's quarterly results Monday will depend largely on how fast it has been able to meet demand for products such as iPhones and iPads.

**** Sync Data Using MobileMe Or Google <http://www.macworld.com/article/154839/2010/10/sync_google_mobileme.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

**** Why I'm (Finally) Paying For MobileMe <http://www.macworld.com/article/154955/2010/10/paying_for_mobileme.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

**** Launchbar Updated With Better Firefox Support, Tweaks <http://www.macworld.com/article/154946/2010/10/launchbar.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Dahlquist, Macworld

Objective Development has released its first LaunchBar update in nearly a year, adding support for Firefox bookmark folders, extra Calculcator and Phone number functions, and a ton of minor tweaks and improvements.

**** Another Blow-Out Quarter For Apple: $20 Billion In Revenue <http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20019928-260.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Erica Ogg, CNET

For its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings, revenue clocked in at $20.34 billion, and earnings at $4.31 billion, or $4.64 per share. That's an increase in revenue of 67 percent from the same quarter a year ago. Investors were expecting revenue between $17.87 billion and $19.86 billion, and earnings between $3.43 and $4.41 per share.

**** MacGourmet 3.0.1 <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11676?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Andy Affleck, TidBITS

MacGourmet 3.0 features a completely revamped interface, including greater control over marking recipes made, flagged, starred, and more in the summary view, along with new themes and greater flexibility in theme appearance.

**** Apple Beats Forecasts, But iPad Disappoints <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1522109720101018>
Reuters

Apple Inc posted better-than-expected profit and revenue, and issued strong forecasts again as iPhone sales took off, but its weaker-than-expected gross margins and iPad shipments disappointed investors.

**** Apple Posts Record Results <http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_16369830?nclick_check=1>
Troy Wolverton, San Jose Mercury News

Apple posted record results today, blowing through analysts' expectation, thanks in large part to stellar iPhone sales. In the wake of the stellar report, the Nasdaq halted trading in Apple's stock.

The company sold 14.1 million iPhones in the quarter. That was a record number for a quarter and up 91 percent from the number it sold in the same period a year ago.

**** Adding Human Intelligence To Software <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/26535/?ref=rss&a=f>
John Pavlus, Technology Review

TurKit lets programmers combines code with input from an army of online human workers.

**** Block That Adjective! <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703440004575548170190455294.html>
Alexander Mccall Smith, Wall Street Journal

I am not at all sure—convinced, certain, persuaded—that creative-writing courses are a good idea unless they prevent people from writing sentences like this one, where adjectives—useful, helpful, intensely descriptive words—are stacked upon one another as Pelion used to be piled upon Ossa. Phew! That sentence took some writing and ended, you will have noticed, with a rather useful classical allusion. Thank you.

**** Why Does E=MC<sup>2</sup>? By Brian Cox And Jeff Forshaw – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/oct/18/einstein-relativity-science-book-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Alok Jha, The Guardian

In the process of exposing the science, the authors do a good job of showing how the hard end of research works: abandon all assumptions and re-build everything from scratch. It's frustrating, it's terrifying and it's slow. Sometimes it is hugely confusing and counter-intuitive. But patience and persistence in the face of dearly held beliefs is exactly why scientists have made such a remarkable fist of understanding (and shaping) our modern world. It's well worth your while to gulp down any fears of maths and glimpse some of that remarkable achievement in action.

**** Too Early To Assess Impact Of Recent Property Cooling Measures: Mah <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087799/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

It is too early to assess the full impact of recent measures introduced to cool Singapore's hot property market, according to national development minister Mah Bow Tan, who was speaking in Parliament on Monday. Mr Mah added that there are however signs of greater stability in the market.

**** Oral Answer To Mr Christopher De Souza Who Asked The Deputy Prime Minister And Minister For Home Affairs (A) Whether Mas Selamat Kastari Has Revealed How He Escaped From The Whitley Road Detention Centre (Wrdc); (B) If So, Whether His Account Is Consistent With The Findings Of The Committee Of Inquiry; And (C) If He Has Also Revealed How He Managed To Leave Singapore And Make His Way To Malaysia, 18 October 2010 <http://app4.mha.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=MTg1NA%3d%3d-rK5yY%2bQG644%3d>
Ministry Of Home Affairs, Singapore Government

These disclosures were generally consistent with the findings of the COI which enquired into how Mas Selamat escaped from the WRDC. As to how he eventually escaped from Singapore to Malaysia, this is something which the current investigations are looking into. In this connection, Mas Selamat has not given a completely reliable account of how he evaded detection while a manhunt was launched to find him and how he made his way to Malaysia. As this is the part of his escape which is still under active investigation, I am not able to share any details at this stage other than to say that the investigators are not closing any option.

**** 周末兀兰12道空地 “飞机”和风筝一起飞 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101018_006.shtml>
孙伟伦, 联合早报

兀兰12道附近空旷草地上个月虽然发生新加坡空军的阿帕奇直升机(Apache)迫降事故,居民并没有因此避开这片空地,每个周末仍有人前来放风筝和玩遥控飞机。

**** 须重视新媒体的负面影响 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/sl101018_001.shtml>
联合早报

**** Study On Lifts For Overhead Bridges <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087815/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

Transport minister Raymond Lim said detailed studies are being conducted on the possibility of providing lifts on overhead bridges in the immediate area of MRT stations.

**** NETS抢攻车资卡市场 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101018_005.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

积极抢攻本地车资付费市场的易通卡和万捷通卡的竞争越来越激烈,随着不久前易通卡调低售价后,发行万捷通卡的星网电子付款公司(NETS)宣布推出收费较低廉和快捷的自动添值服务,要借此扩大其市场占有率。

**** New Rules For Landed Owners <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_592194.html>
Jessica Cheam, Straits Times

Landed home owners may have to dispose of their property within two years if they lose their permanent residency or citizenship status.

**** HDB Imposes 7-Day Cooling-Off Period For Flat Sale <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087746/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

>From November, sellers of Housing & Development Board (HDB) flats will have to observe a seven-day cooling-off period before they can grant an Option-to-Purchase (OTP) to the buyers.

**** UK Author Shadrake Made Baseless Attacks On S'pore Judiciary: Lawyer <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087842/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) has taken issue with 14 passages from a British writer's book which it said had called into question the integrity, impartiality and independence of the country's judiciary.

**** Reconsider Mandatory Remedial Training For NSmen <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_591918.html>
Khelvin Xu, Straits Times

Imposing mandatory RT on NSmen who have already undergone IPT, but are unable to achieve performance targets, is contrary to the aim of making the system more flexible.

**** 台湾人图书馆 书香汇聚乡情 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/fk/fk101018_003.shtml>
徐鑫, 联合早报

在马里士他路附近,有家成立一年多的“台湾人图书馆”,这家由台湾来的新移民自发自愿组织起来的图书馆,汇集了不少台湾出版的书籍。

这个迷你图书馆,无论是对自我的定位,还是来自台湾的新移民对图书馆的期待,都远远超出查询资料和借阅图书的简单含义。对他们来说,图书馆可以成为牵系彼此的情感纽带。

**** 签证和访问准证不一样 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101018_008.shtml>
谢惠卿,移民与关卡局, 联合早报

**** <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101018-0000204/Educational-loans--Govt-considering-additional-measures-against-children-who-dont-repay-parents>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

The government is reviewing the use of additional measures against children who do not repay education loans taken from their parents' Central Provident Fund, manpower minister Gan Kim Yong said yesterday.

**** Singapore Justice In The Dock Indeed <http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2765&Itemid=181>
Asian Sentinel

In discussing whether Shadrake had engaged in fair criticism, Subramaniam alleged that there was not "an iota of truth in any of the statements or allegation’s in the respondent’s book." Ravi characterized the Singaporean government's response to his client's book as "somewhat hypersensitive."

**** Apache Landing Due To Corroded Valve <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087784/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

Deputy prime minister and defence minister Teo Chee Hean said investigations showed that a defective component in an Apache helicopter was the cause for an emergency landing last month.

"Our pilots are trained to ensure the safety of the public before making a decision to land in any of the open spaces, and (they) will forego such a landing even at risk to themselves if there is a danger to population," said Mr Teo.

**** <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087795/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore could see a technical recession in the second half of the year, said senior minister of state for trade and industry, Mr S Iswaran, who spoke in Parliament on Monday.

Mr Iswaran added that if this were to happen, it would largely be a reflection of large swings in the biomedical cluster, which is being affected by scheduled plant maintenance shutdowns.

**** Temasek Review Willing To Change Its Name, Only If ... <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101018-0000061/Temasek-Review-willing-to-change-its-name,-only-if-,,,>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

It is not known where the team is based but they said they would agree to the change if Temasek Holdings contacts them to clarify if it is claiming exclusive rights to the word "Temasek" around the world.

**** LTA To Make Changes In Bus Routes, Other Improvements To Public Transport <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087818/1/.html>
Mustafa, Channel NewsAsia

Transport minister Raymond Lim says some bus routes will be changed by the end of the year, said transport minister Raymond Lim in Parliament on Monday. More changes will be gradually and progressively implemented later on an ongoing basis.

**** HDB Unable To Allow Exemptions For Those Who Inherit Overseas Properties: Mah <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087794/1/.html>
Claire Huang, Channel NewsAsia

**** The 'Puppy Mills' Of Singapore <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/puppy-mills-pet-store-337803>
Natasya Ong, CNNGo

Meeting the demands for the 45 pet stores in Singapore, thousands of dogs spend their entire lives being 'puppy machines' at the kennels of Pasir Ris Farmway 2, the source of 98 percent of all pet-store puppies in Singapore.

These puppy factories are run by dog breeders whose sole purpose is to make a living from the dogs they breed, most times neglecting the basic needs of the animals.

**** Singapore's Export Growth Eases As Slowing Global Expansion Hurts Demand <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-18/singapore-s-export-growth-eases-as-slowing-global-expansion-hurts-demand.html>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s export growth slowed in September as shipments of electronics and pharmaceuticals eased, heralding softening demand in the coming months as the global economy weakens.

**** Eli Lilly To Close Singapore Drug Discovery Center <http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101018-702364.html>
Sam Holmes, Dow Jones

Eli Lilly & Co. said Monday it will close its Singapore Center for Drug Discovery in December as part of the U.S. pharmaceutical group's wider review of its global business. The closure comes as the Indianapolis-based group faces a number of patent woes and increasing competition from generic pharmaceutical makers.

**** KTM Station To Be Preserved <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_592284.html>
Lee Jia Xin, Straits Times

The KTM train station in Tanjong Pagar will be conserved and will serve as a centrepiece for any future development on the site, said foreign minister George Yeo on Monday.

**** Rapid Rail To Johor <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_592294.html>
Straits Times

Discussions are under way on the proposed rapid transit system (RTS) linking Singapore and Johor, foreign minister George Yeo told the House on Monday.