[MyAppleMenu] Jun 13, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 13 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Options For Reading Mac Drives In Boot Camp <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20007513-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET News

Despite the advancements in virtualization technologies, Boot Camp is still the best option for compatibility and overall speed when you want to run Windows programs on your Apple hardware. This will arguably always be the case, but while speed is a perk, native support for NTFS in OS X and HFS in Windows prevents quick file transfer both to and from the partitions.

Despite this, there are several utilities that will allow two-way file transfers both in OS X as well as in Windows.

**** Is Apple Doing Enough To Silence The Watchdogs? <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/hardware/Is-Apple-doing-enough-to-silence-the-watchdogs/articleshow/6042143.cms>
Reuters

While Apple Inc has eased restrictions for iPhone advertising, targeting them more pointedly at rival Google Inc, it hasn't done enough to mollify antitrust regulators.

**** From Groupon, Daily Deals With Daily Laughs <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/business/13digi.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Randall Stross, New York Times

Companies like Groupon offer online discounts to small local businesses, provided that a certain number of people agree to participate in the deal.

**** Smart Underpants Share How You're Feeling <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20007529-1.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Matt Hickey, CNET News

Most people go to great lengths to keep others from knowing what's going on inside their pants. But skivvies that relay data about the wearer could benefit some people--say soldiers. Yes, we're talking about tighty whities that talk.

**** The Bright Side Of Wrong <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/06/13/the_bright_side_of_wrong/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Ideas+section>
Kathryn Schulz, Boston Globe

Of all the things we’re wrong about, this view of error might well top the list. As ashamed as we may feel of our mistakes, they are not a byproduct of all that’s worst about being human. On the contrary: They’re a byproduct of all that’s best about us. We don’t get things wrong because we are uninformed and lazy and stupid and evil. We get things wrong because we get things right.

**** The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jun/13/the-rational-optimist-matt-ridley?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
David Papineau, The Guardian

In his argument against the world's economic doom-mongers Matt Ridley has some persuasive history on his side.

**** Once Upon A Life <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/13/once-upon-a-life-jeanette-winterson?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Jeanette Winterson, The Guardian

Small, sustainable, ethical, modestly profitable, local, co-operative. Go on… open your own shop!

**** Kudos, Admiral! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/06/kudos-admiral/>
The Online Citizen

**** ‘Underwhelmed’ By Town Council Report <http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/06/underwhelmed-by-town-council-report/>
Gerald Giam

**** Rolling The Dice <http://www.annistonstar.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Rolling+the+dice%20&id=7884859&instance=recentComments>
Anniston Star

**** Asia Ready To Redefine Trade Relations In Talks <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/12/BUOI1DT8PH.DTL>
Tom Abate, San Francisco Chronicle

A pointed remark by a Singaporean official set the tone for a meeting of Asian financiers who gathered at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco last week.

"Some countries just are not profligate," said Teo Swee Lian, deputy managing director of the Monetary Authority of Singapore, in a reference to the debt-burdened economies of the United States and Europe.

**** Town Council Assessment Carried Out Objectively <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1062917/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Senior minister of state for national development, Grace Fu, has refuted claims by some opposition MPs who say the Town Council Management Report (TCMR) is "unfair" and "subjective".

**** Lee Kuan Yew: Race Realist Of Singapore <http://www.thegreenarrow.co.uk/writers/others/2092-lee-kuan-yew-race-realist-of-singapore>
Tim Heydon, The Green Arrow

Lee Kuan Yew is forgiven his ‘racism’ because he is not White.