[MyAppleMenu] Jun 12, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 12 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Hello, Lua <http://www.appleoutsider.com/2010/06/10/hello-lua/>
Outsider

While explicit approval from Apple is still required, these new terms seem to acknowledge that there’s a difference between an app that happens to have non-compiled code, and a meta-platform. It’s a step that should allow for many new possibilities.

**** Apple's iPhone Ad Blockade Probably Won't Result In Antitrust Suit But Apple Is Walking A Thin Line <http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-mobile-ad-blockade-probably-wont-result-in-antitrust-suit-but-apple-is-walking-a-thin-line-2010-6>
Dan Frommer , Business Insider

**** How The iPad Caused Me To Reshape My Life <http://www.macworld.com/article/151958/2010/06/life_changing_ipad.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** iMovie For iPhone Details Surface <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11343?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

iMovie for iPhone will require the iPhone 4, and not be available for the iPhone 3GS. Handling video and creating real-time transitions needs the power of the iPhone 4's A4 processor.

**** 2 Months With The iPad: Mature, Powerful, And Very Useful <http://lowendmac.com/ed/leeds/10al/2-month-ipad.html>
Austin Leeds, Low End Mac

Unlike many Apple products, the iPad does not feel first generation.

**** Apple Hits 10,000 iPad Apps — Store Doubled In The Past Six Weeks <http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/11/10000-ipad-apps/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

**** A Test Of Apple's Loyalty <http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052970203296004575296843371246982.html>
Mark Veverka, Barron's

Perhaps the most important thing that people may be missing in the carrier debate is the fact that AT&T is ahead of its competitors when it comes to the wireless-data learning curve. By virtue of tackling these issues during the early days of iPhone adoption, AT&T is building itself a very capable infrastructure, despite customer sentiment to the contrary.

**** 5 Reasons To Upgrade To Apple's Safari 5 <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177878/5_reasons_to_upgrade_to_Apple_s_Safari_5?source=rss_operatingsystems>
(Ryan Faas), Computerworld

**** What The World Wants Next From Apple <http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052970203296004575298420966641824.html?mod=BOL_hpp_dc>
Eric J. Savitz, Barron's

I have absolutely no doubt that the new iPhone will sell like hot cakes once it goes on sale later this month. But as I walked away from the event, I couldn't help wondering: Now what? I won't even attempt to guess. But let me note a few things that Apple-philiacs are currently thinking about.

**** Lifelong Earning <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/magazine/13fob-consumed-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Rob Walker, New York Times

The appeal of the (sort of) grown-up, geeky merit badge.

**** The Ask By Sam Lipsyte <http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2010/jun/12/ask-sam-lipsyte-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Toby Litt, The Guardian

The same word appears on the cover of each of Sam Lipsyte's three novels: funny. And The Ask is a very, very funny novel – funny in a painful, anxious, generous way.

**** Poems <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jun/12/saturday-poem-sam-riviere?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Sam Riviere, The Guardian

**** Essay: My Backlogged Pages <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/books/review/Feffer-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
John Feffer, New York Times

Provided I hold on to this library, I can still pretend that I will be all the people that I imagined I would be as a teenager, as I wandered the church book sale and selected gifts for my future selves.

**** Caning Violates International Norms <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/06/caning-violates-international-norms/>
Jolene Tan, The Online Citizen

Acts of violence dehumanise not only their victims but also their perpetrators. In the case of judicial torture, all of society is implicated every time a struggling, screaming man is beaten in our name. I believe we can do better than this.

**** Offer Better Leave Benefits To Teachers <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_539190.html>
Tan Wen Dee, Straits Times

**** Public Transport Review <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_539356.html>
Melissa Kok, Straits Times

In the wake of the break-in at SMRT's Changi train depot, a comprehensive security review of the entire public transport network will be conducted over the next six months.

This was announced by the Public Transport Security Committee (PTSC) last night. Alongside this review, SMRT will be engaging a professional security consultant to carry out a thorough audit of its systems.

**** Going Public With Grievances <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2010/6/12/columnists/insightdownsouth/6455622&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Nowadays with the help of the Internet, Singaporeans are taking their complaints public to seek a solution, especially if they think the government is the cause.

**** It's Got Nothing To Do With Religion: Shanmugam <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100612-0000122/Its-got-nothing-to-do-with-religion--Shanmugam>
Alicia Wong, Today

Putting into perspective the news that some City Harvest Church members are under investigation, law minister K Shanmugam said on Friday: "It's got nothing to do with religion."

**** Empathy, Empathy, Where Art Thou? <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2010/06/empathy-empathy-where-art-thou.html>
Yaw Shin Leong

For residents living in PAP-run Town Councils, perhaps the question to ask should be ‘Empathy, Empathy, where art thou?’

**** Singapore Discusses Controversial Info Collection With Google <http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sci/2010-06/12/c_13346879.htm>
Xinhua

The Singapore authorities have begun discussions with Google over its controversial collection of personal information for its Street View service, which was launched here recently, in the light of concerns overseas over privacy issues, local media reported Saturday.

**** Excuse Me, Have You Seen Raymond And Kan Seng? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/06/excuse-me-have-you-seen-raymond-and-kan-seng/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

While it may be explained that the ministers would be working behind the scenes to put things right, one would think that reassuring a jittery and concerned public would also be one of the ministers’ top priorities – and that they would do so promptly.