[MyAppleMenu] Apr 7, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 7 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** CoWA Day 1: Jennifer Connelly’s Breasts <http://ihnatko.com/2010/04/06/cowa-day-1-jennifer-connellys-breasts/>
Andy Ihnatko's Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA)

See, I learned exactly what it’s like to be the star of “The Hot Spot,” “Career Opportunities” and “Mulholland Falls.” Everywhere I went — the speakers’ office, Monday evening’s party, and even during my panels — everyone was really happy I was there but it was the same story. It quickly became clear that while they liked me as a person, they mostly thought of me as the support and mobility system for two big, meaty, luscious things.

Namely, my iPad, plus the MiFi mobile WiFi access point that would let them see the Netflix streaming app in operation.

**** First Look: IWork For iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/150430/2010/04/iworkipadfirstlook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Miller, Macworld

For now, file management is the biggest weakness in Apple’s iWork apps. Otherwise, they—and particularly Keynote—look like nicely capable mobile apps that fall somewhere short of their full-fledged desktop counterparts. The iPad as business machine? These iWork apps make it plausible.

**** Apple Confirms iPad Wi-Fi Issues, Suggests Fixes <http://www.macworld.com/article/150444/2010/04/ipadwifi.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

If you feel like your brand-new iPad isn’t working with wireless networks the way you think it should, the problem may not be in your head. Apple’s support forums contain a number of comments from frustrated users who are experiencing problems while trying to set up their Wi-Fi connections. And Apple itself has posted a support note and FAQ on Wi-Fi and the iPad.

**** Tips To Improve The iPad Experience <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11167?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

Now that I have an iPad in my hands, I've discovered some new techniques and hidden shortcuts, and also found myself making heavier use of existing iPhone shortcuts (including a few I didn't realize were there).

**** The Apple Two <http://www.slate.com/id/2249872/?from=rss>
Tim Wu, Slate Magazine

The iPad is Steve Jobs' final victory over the company's co-founder Steve Wozniak.

**** My iPhone Has Revolutionised My Reading <http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/apr/06/iphone-makes-reading-books-easier?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Howard Hill, The Guardian

For dyslexics, books are much easier to read on its screen.

**** Netflix App Coming To iPhone, iPod Touch <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10472854-233.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Rick Broida, CNET News

**** Apple's Play For Platform Dominance <http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1936>
John Carroll, ZDNet

I won’t ever stop rooting for another company to take bigger market share so long as Apple is the kind of company that it is (Google seems the most likely candidate). But, I will appreciate the design of their products.

**** A 2.5 Year-Old Uses An iPad For The First Time <http://laughingsquid.com/a-2-5-year-old-uses-an-ipad-for-the-first-time/>
Todd Lappin, Laughing Squid

My iPhone-savvy 2.5 year-old daughter held an iPad for the very first time last night, and it turned out to be an interesting user-interface experiment.

**** TSA: Don't Remove Your iPad For X-rays, Unless We Say So <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/tsa-dont-remove-your-ipad-for-x-rays-unless-we-say-so.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

iPad owners may get a (very) small reprieve when going through security checkpoints at US airports. The Transportation Security Administration told the Associated Press that iPads generally do not need to be removed from carry-on luggage when going through X-ray screening.

**** How To Turn An iPhone Into A Wireless iPad Camera <http://gizmodo.com/5511115/how-to-turn-an-iphone-into-a-wireless-ipad-camera>
Rosa Golijan, Gizmodo

The iPad doesn't have a built-in camera, but you can give it something better. By putting an app onto each an iPad and an iPhone, you can connect the two via bluetooth and have a wireless camera for your iPad.

**** Ars Technica Reviews The iPad <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/04/ipad-review.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

The iPad isn't a big iPod touch—an iPod touch is a miniature iPad that restricts the full multitouch experience in exchange for offering greater portability. With the iPad, in contrast, you get multitouch the way it was meant to be done. That's one of our many take-aways after having submerged ourselves in iPad land since launch. The larger screen doesn't just offer more space to work with—it opens up a different and more immersive user experience. Because of this different experience, though, the closed nature of the platform can get under some users' skin in ways the iPhone and iPod touch do not.

Still, the iPad is likely to just be a starting point for Apple and for multitouch computing in general. There are obvious downsides to the device—we'll tell you what those are—but it's clear that it does sit in its own category that floats somewhere between a smartphone and a laptop, and it serves different purposes than either its smaller or bigger siblings. But we're getting ahead of ourselves.

**** Newsweek Staffer Daniel Lyons Apologizes For Apple Interference Claim <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/06/AR2010040603793.html>
Howard Kurtz, Washington Post

Lyons apologized Tuesday for misstating the sequence of events. The conversations he recalled -- quite vividly, he says, because he "was so freaked by it" -- took place shortly after Newsweek agreed to hire him as Levy's successor, not before. Lyons says Levy told him directly that Apple was upset at his hiring and told others at Newsweek (including then-business editor David Jefferson).

**** How Apple's iPad Succeeded Where Microsoft Failed <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362325,00.asp>
John C. Dvorak, PC Magazine

What is completely overlooked at the moment, is the potential to sink Microsoft, once and for all—or at least relegate the company to commodity computing (formerly known as desktop computing). The irony, of course, is that Microsoft predicted the trend toward pad computing. It just didn't predict that it, as a company, wouldn't be playing in the big game.

**** Lafayette's Alexander Dawson School Swapping Books For iPads <http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_14832694?source=most_emailed#axzz0kP9CAEdB>
Vanessa Miller, Daily Camera

About 80 students and 12 of their teachers will get the 16G Wi-Fi iPads -- which retail for $499 -- to help with reading, studying, researching and experimentation. Headmaster Brian Johnson said he'll consider expanding the use of the devices to other grades if everything goes well.

**** Should Apple Let Amazon Sell The iPad? <http://technorati.com/technology/article/should-apple-let-amazon-sell-the/>
Leslie Grandy, Technorati

Given the explosion of Apple retail locations, and the correlating growth in Mac share, if ever there was a time to hold an authorized reseller to their agreement, it is now with the launch of the iPad and it most definitely is with Amazon.

**** The iPad And Accessories: What You Need To Know <http://www.macworld.com/article/150439/2010/04/ipadaccessorycompatibility.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

You could just go out and buy new “Made for iPad” accessories. But we’ve spent the past few days testing the iPad with existing accessories to see if you can reuse those add-ons. Here’s what we’ve determined so far.

**** Review: Veenix TypeBook Creator 2.4.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/147265/2010/04/veenix.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jay J. Nelson, Macworld

I wholeheartedly recommend Veenix TypeBook Creator 2.4.1 to anyone who has struggled with choosing appropriate fonts for a project. Its unique feature set lets you explore the fonts you have, offers the best selection of layouts for specimen pages, and is reasonably priced.

**** Smart Pill Reports Back <http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/25002/?ref=rss>
Jennifer Chu, Technology Review

Researchers at the University of Florida have engineered a smart pill with a tiny antenna and microchip that could signal when it has made it into a patient's stomach--reporting to a cell phone or computer that she has taken her medicine. Their design is the latest of several high-tech pill-reporting efforts to improve patient adherence and provide accurate reporting.

**** How To Turn Your Blog's Readers Into Paying Customers <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/how-to-turn-your-blogs-readers-into-paying-customers/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Claire Cain Miller, New York Times

A new e-commerce tool lets any blogger open an online store.

**** Google Trying Anew For A 3D Web <http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20001810-264.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News

Two related projects from Mozilla and Google, each with the similar goal of bringing hardware-accelerated 3D graphics to the Web, appear to be joining forces after a change in Google tactics.

**** The Private Life Of Books <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2010/apr/07/private-life-of-books?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
David Barnett, The Guardian

A cache of letters I found in a set of secondhand Asimov tales sketches an intriguing true story.

**** Life Without The Web <http://www.slate.com/id/2249562/entry/0/?from=rss>
James Sturm, Slate Magazine

My (probably crazy) plan to give up the internet.

**** Consider The Oyster <http://www.slate.com/id/2248998/?from=rss>
Christopher Cox, Slate Magazine

Last summer, I visited a friend in San Francisco whom I hadn't seen in a while. Normally in such cases, I must gently remind my host that I eat neither meat, nor dairy, nor eggs, but my friend beat me to it: "I recall that you are a vegan," he wrote, "though one that appreciates fine oysters." Finally, someone who understands me.

**** Mio TV Drops Al Jazeera <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100407-0000079/mio-TV-drops-Al-Jazeera>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

Asked why the channel was removed, a SingTel spokeswoman told MediaCorp: "mio TV constantly streamlines our content offerings in order to address the demands and requirements of our customers." The pay TV operator did not answer queries about Al Jazeera's viewership figures.

When contacted, the Media Development Authority said: "The introduction of new pay-TV channels and the removal of existing ones are part of the constantly evolving media landscape in Singapore. These are commercial decisions made by the pay-TV operators, which periodically review and refine their channel offerings to meet market demands."

**** Is The Opposition Capable Of Epoch-Making? <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2010/04/is-opposition-capable-of-epoch-making.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

**** ST Forum Writers Not Tired Of Rehashing Old PAP Propaganda <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3947>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Individual freedom and responsibility towards other people are actually two sides of the same coin, because each imply the other, and each cannot exist without the other. Human rights activists in Singapore understand that, and so does the SDP.

**** Indonesia Talks A Suspect Official Home <http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2385&Itemid=175>
Asia Sentinel

Although it remains to be seen if the Gayus case is a one-off, it seems unlikely that criminals who have established lives for themselves in the safety of Singapore — and Jakarta officials have said there are as many as 200 of them — will give up so easily.

**** High Housing Cost : Blame The People! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2010/04/high-housing-cost-blame-people.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

What is worse than a govt that implements bad policies? A govt that implements bad policies then blame the people who suffer from their bad policies for its negative effects. Sickening isn't it? But the PAP govt has done it again.

**** 当巴士路线变短 <http://www.zaobao.com/fk/fk100407_004.shtml>
赵琬仪, 联合早报

巴士路线从长变短,表面看来是城市的节奏加快了,移动效率提高了,往深处挖掘,那是一份享受从容迟缓的感性的消逝。

**** 4th Telco In S'pore? <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_511493.html>
Straits Times

The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) is considering parcelling out its remaining third-generation (3G) cellular spectrum, paving the way for a fourth telco player.

**** Singapore Will Favor Stronger Currency By October, Survey Shows <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-04-06/singapore-will-favor-stronger-currency-by-october-survey-shows.html>
Patricia Lui and Lilian Karunungan, Bloomberg

Singapore’s central bank will favor a stronger currency by October to curb inflation and catch up with regional peers in withdrawing economic stimulus, a survey of economists showed.

“MAS doesn’t want to be seen as being behind the curve,” said Sebastien Barbe, head of emerging-market research at Credit Agricole CIB in Hong Kong. “The central bank wants to manage inflation expectations.”

**** Malaysian Students Full Of Vitality, What About Singapore's? <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/the-party/young-democrats/3522-malaysian-students-full-of-vitality-what-about-singapores>
Muhd Khalis, Singapore Democrat Party

**** The Fine Quality Of Our Dear Deputy Prime Minister <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2010/04/fine-quality-of-our-dear-deputy-prime.html>
Mr Wang Says So

**** Singapore – A City On Steroids <http://queenscourier.com/articles/2010/04/06/entertainment/victorias_secrets/doc4bbb8ec815b01655702671.txt>
Victoria Schneps-Yunis, Queens Courier

On the last leg of our adventure from Hong Kong to Vietnam and Cambodia, then finally Singapore, I found what appears to be a sister city to New York, but on steroids.

**** Let’s Not Have Another ‘Accident’ <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2010/04/lets-not-have-another-accident.html>
Musings From the Lion City

Now Indonesia says that they know of at least 10 other Indonesian fugitives living in Singapore. For the sake of our own ‘face’, I strongly suggest that Singapore be more pro-active in capturing these other fugitives. Let’s not have another ‘accident’.

**** Don’t Take Away Our Buses <http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2010/4/7/don-t-take-away-our-buses>
Loh Keng Fatt, Straits Times

Singaporeans want to keep their cross-island buses.

**** HDB Assures Residents Of Marketing Needs; Reminds Sheng Siong Of Wet Market Use <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1048485/1/.html>
Wang Eng Eng, Channel NewsAsia

The HDB said it has made clear its position to Sheng Siong which had bought over the markets and increased rent by 30 per cent. The HDB said in approving the sale of these properties to Sheng Siong, it specified that they must continue to be operated as wet markets.

The question is: can Sheng Siong set up its own individual stalls in its own wet markets?

**** Adjustment To Life As An Expat In Singapore <http://meginsing.blogspot.com/2010/04/adjustment-to-life-as-expat-in.html>
An American Girl In Singapore

As an expat, you may experience your stages in a completely different order or in a completely different way. Your expectations are the most dynamic tool that shapes your experience in this new culture.

Expect to be happy. Honestly believe that you will be. And most likely, it'll happen.