[MyAppleMenu] Apr 6, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Apr 6 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** You Don't Need An iPad <http://www.slate.com/id/2249822/?from=rss>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate Magazine

But once you try one, you won't be able to resist.

**** The iPad Is For Readers <http://www.salon.com/books/laura_miller/2010/04/05/ipad_for_readers/index.html>
Laura Miller, Salon

Surprise! The futuristic device provides an ideal sanctuary for the most old-fashioned leisure activity.

**** Making Allowances For Underage iTunes Users <http://www.macworld.com/article/150432/2010/04/itunes_allowance.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

It's wise to not let a 13-year-old have your credit card number. But there are other ways to help minors legally obtain the media they're after.

**** iPad Reportedly Overheating In The Sun <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20001749-243.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
David Carnoy, CNET News

Several iPad owners are reporting that their iPads have been overheating--and shutting down--after spending as little as ten minutes in the sun. How big an issue is this?

**** Apple's iPad: A Beginning, Not End, To Innovation <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10472637-16.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Matt Asay, CNET News

Cory Doctorow believes the iPad signals an end to innovation. It doesn't. Apple's iPad actually points to a beginning of innovation in personal computing. Where Doctorow and I likely agree, however, is that such innovation won't come within the confines of Apple's beautiful iPad device, but rather at its margins.

**** iBooks On The iPad, A First Glance <http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/2010/04/ibooks-on-ipad-first-glance.html>
Liz Castro, Pigs, Gourds, And Wikis

I opened up a book of poetry and cried for page breaks.

**** How To Choose Your Ideal iPad And Accessories <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11163?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Tonya Engst, TidBITS

**** iBooks And ePub <http://blog.threepress.org/2010/04/05/ibooks-and-epub/>
Liza Daly, Threepress

Overall I’d say iBooks is pretty good for a first-generation ePub reader. The biggest concern is of course that once you purchase books from iTunes, you’re locked in to only reading them in iBooks.

**** Should Colleges Start Giving Apple's iPad To Students? <http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-04-05-IHE-colleges-give-iPads-to-students05_N.htm>
Steve Kolowich, Inside Higher Ed

The iPad has landed. But should campuses be throwing it a welcome party?

**** 10 Reasons Why Apple iPad Is Highly Qualified For Enterprise Role <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/10-Reasons-Why-Apple-iPad-is-Highly-Qualified-for-Enterprise-Role-193599/>
Don Reisinger, eWeek

The iPad is different. It delivers such a unique take on computing and getting the job done that most companies would likely prefer it over a laptop. It's a surprise, I know. But it's quite true.

**** Game-Changers Are Usually Imperfect <http://technologizer.com/2010/04/05/game-changers-are-usually-imperfect/>
Harry McCracken, Technologizer

Before Saturday, when people asked me how important the iPad was going to be, I told them to judge it not by the sum of the device that Apple released this week. iPad is a platform, and platforms are processes–so if you’re trying to figure out if iPad is a big deal, envision the one that Apple will release a year from now. Then decide.

**** Is iPad A Game-Changer? <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2010/04/06/isIpadAGamechanger.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

Like everyone else who got one, I am trying to figure out how to make it my own. I keep hitting frustrating limits. I want to use it to write. Impossible, I've discovered. None of my writing tools are there. Not just the ones I use to enter keystrokes into the computer, and edit and revise them, but also the tools I use for finding information I want to reference in my stories.

**** Wired's Steven Levy Says Dan Lyons Is Making Things Up About Him, Apple, And Newsweek <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/04/06/businessinsider-wireds-steven-levy-says-dan-lyons-is-making-things-up-about-apple-and-newsweek-2010-4.DTL>
Jay Yarow, Business Insider

**** iBooks And Private APIs <http://www.marco.org/500743718>
Marco Arment

This app’s undocumented API use wouldn’t pass the App Store submission process, yet developers need to compete with it for App Store attention.

**** Creating A Portable X-Ray Machine <http://www.technologyreview.com/business/24986/?ref=rss&a=f>
Katherine Bourzac, Technology Review

A startup company is developing a flat-panel source of x-rays that could help make the imaging technique portable.

**** Playing Chess With Kubrick <http://blogs.nybooks.com/post/498370620/playing-chess-with-kubrick>
Jeremy Bernstein, The New York Review of Books

Kubrick explained that early in his career he too played chess for money in the park and that Duval was so weak that it was hardly worth playing him. I said that we should play some time and then left the apartment. I was quite sure that we would never play. I was wrong.

**** Taking Toplessness To The Streets <http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/2010/04/05/topless_protest/index.html>
Mary Elizabeth Williams, Salon

It's shirtless season -- should women be able to join in?

**** The Day You Left // Mammogram <http://www.slate.com/id/2249420/?from=rss>
Terri Witek, Slate Magazine

**** Confrontational Model Not Ideal For S'pore <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_510865.html>
Patrick Tan, Straits Times

Dr Chee seems more intent on introducing a confrontational Western-style democracy in Singapore. While that model may work in some countries, it does not mean it is the best and only model for us. In the West, individualism is supreme. But at what price?

In other words, don't make me uncomfortable.

**** Heng Chee How On Wages, Labour <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100406-0000053/Heng-Chee-How-on-wages,-labour>
Today

As the National Wages Council sits this month to deliberate on wage guidelines, one factor it is likely to consider, is "productivity that leads to real wage growth on a trend basis, which is important to be sustainable", said Mr Heng Chee How. The labour movement's deputy secretary-general said: "We are already seeing signs that the labour market is tightening and in certain pockets, skills shortages are beginning to appear.

**** Why Singaporeans’ Fear Of New Immigrants Is Not ‘Irrational’ <http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=6801>
Christopher Ong, Kent Ridge Commons

Singaporeans are not xenophobic, but are merely saying that the government of Singapore that they have placed their trust in and elected must serve to protect their interests first. In a tiny country such as ours, the middle class Singaporean is being squeezed out of employment opportunities, not by the likes of Mr. Rogers and Mr. Welkers, but by the class of foreigners that Ms. Lim has neglected to refer to.

**** The HDB Conundrum – A Contrarian View <http://nabbedd.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/the-hdb-conundrum/>
It's All About Amelioration

**** This Is Why He Is Deputy Prime Minister <http://callantham.org/blog/2010/4/6/this-is-why-he-is-deputy-prime-minister.html>
Callan Tham, Trapper's Swamp

This is a curious mix of arrogance, ignorance of conflict of interest, and a stubborn, unrelenting belief that the system works. This is his reality, as much as it is the reality of his PAP colleagues, symbolic of a systemic failure that bubbles beneath the calm, over-achieving veneer of the Singapore Story.

**** 为报道失误道歉 是勇气的表现 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100406_013.shtml>
联合早报

张志贤说,他阅读多篇外国报章的相关报道后,留意到这些文章都强调传媒应有发表看法的言论自由,却完全不提传媒应有报道真相的责任。

**** What Is Asian Values? <http://singaporeanskeptic.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-is-asian-values.html>
Singaporean Skeptic

**** Indonesian FM Says Ideal To Have Extradition Treaty With S'pore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1048229/1/.html>
Sujadi Siswo, Channel NewsAsia

Indonesian foreign minister Marty Natalegawa said such an agreement would act as a deterrent for criminals from both countries trying to escape the long arm of the law. However, Dr Marty said the absence of such an agreement now would not hinder both sides from cooperating in fighting transnational crimes.