[MyAppleMenu] Nov 25, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 25 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** Apple's New 21.5-in. iMac Packs A Punch For The Price <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141342/Apple_s_new_21.5_in._iMac_packs_a_punch_for_the_price?taxonomyId=12>
Michael DeAgonia, Computerworld

If you're looking for a desktop machine that's reliable, fast, energy-efficient, stylish and featuring best-of-class bundled software, this iMac should be at the top of your list.

**** Apple And Live Nation Debut iTunes Live Music Program <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/24/apple_and_live_nation_debut_itunes_live_music_program.html>
AppleInsider

Apple has teamed up with concert promoter Live Nation to launch a new live music program that offers exclusive recorded and filmed concerts, both companies announced Tuesday.

**** Apple Calls For Permanent Injunction Against Psystar <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/11/24/motion.includes.leopard.snow.leopard/>
MacNN

Following a recent legal victory, Apple is now calling for a permanent injunction against Psystar's operations. If granted the injunction would prevent Psystar from doing anything which might violate Apple copyrights, including bypassing controls in Mac OS X which prevent it from being freely installed on any Intel system. The company would similarly be banned from sharing the necessary decryption technology with others.

**** iPhoto 8.1.1 Fixes Faces Bug <http://www.macworld.com/article/144081/2009/11/iphoto811.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

The iPhoto 8.1.1. update deals with face-recognition performance and accuracy (to fix a problem introduced with the 8.1 update), book ordering, and iPod touch support.

**** 1Password Is Must-have Eshopping Nirvana <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5321&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

1Password just got revved to version 3 and it's one my few must-have Mac OS X apps. It stores all of your online logins, registration information and credit card information for easy access with a click in your browser's menu bar.

**** Apple Says Users To Blame For iPhone Virus <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/11/apple_says_user.html;jsessionid=JBJ2TEWHDBERBQE1GHOSKH4ATMY32JVN>
Eric Zeman, InformationWeek

**** Apple Updates Final Cut Server <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=a8e1d314085f654dca55b13327337ef5>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

Version 1.5.1, a revision to Final Cut Server 1.5, addresses general compatibility issues, improves overall stability, and addresses a number of other minor issues.

**** It's Magic! The First Apple Mouse That Doesn't Suck <http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_magicmouse?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29>
Brian Chen, Wired

In an age where a heavy amount of everyday computing can be done in a web browser, the Magic Mouse couldn't be more than welcome.

**** Machinarium <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1073>
Franklin Pride, Inside Mac Games

Adventure games of this quality don't come along very often, and, aside from the monotonous movement, it's well worth the price. It's a little short, but you'll enjoy yourself the entire time.

**** Apple Sues One 'Knock-off' Maker, Defends Against Another <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/25/apple_sues_one_knock_off_maker_defends_against_another.html>
AppleInsider

Apple has sued a third-party MacBook power adapter manufacturer and alleged it has violated patented designs, and also, in a separate trial, appealed to move its ongoing defense against clone iPod maker Luxpro to a California court.

**** Steve Jobs Is The Closest Thing To Walt Disney Since Walt Disney <http://feeds.oreilly.com/~r/oreilly/digitalmedia/mac/~3/cf8e2jzXxTY/steve-jobs-is-the-closest-thin.html>
Mark Sigal, O'Reilly Media

A cursory glance at the significant milestones in the careers of Disney and Jobs suggests an otherworldly ability to invent, re-invent and extend 'unfair advantages' across seemingly orthogonal domains.

**** Parachute 1.0 Backs Up To Multiple Destinations <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/11/25/supports.online.and.offline.backup/>
MacNN

Dare to be Creative has released the first version of Parachute, a new backup utility. Users can schedule multiple backup tasks, automated to run in hourly, daily, weekly or monthly cycles. As with most such apps, backups can be saved to network volumes and external hard disks. Content can also be copied to USB flash drives, and various online destinations.

**** Apple Posts Guidelines On 27-inch iMac’s Target Display Mode <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=4f4903ce938192f660805925d6bf5038>
Aayush Arya, Macworld

**** Five Reasons To Partition A Disk <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=083dbe6caaed1bc69cfb5464722f8256>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

Here are a few situations when it’s worth it to split up your hard disk.

**** Group Of Magazine Publishers Is Said To Be Building An Online Newsstand <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/business/media/25mag.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Brian Stelter, New York Times

A consortium of magazine publishers including Time Inc. and Condé Nast are plan to jointly build an online newsstand for publications in multiple digital formats, according to people with knowledge of the plans.

**** Should Serial Novels Be Continued? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/nov/24/serial-novels?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Stephen Emms, The Guardian

Out of sync with print-based reading habits, this form is nonetheless perfectly in tune with the web.

**** The Remains Of The Day <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=c066a99a83714f8c52d8f346100132d9>
Jane Sigal, New York Times

Sue Maden was peeling and slicing apples for the double-crusted pie she planned to take as her contribution to dinner at a friend’s house, but a worry was nagging her. “Do I have to confess that I bought the pie crusts already made and rolled up?” she asked.

Ms. Maden is just not that interested in cooking, she admitted. Yet she hosts an annual dinner party that is one of the most sought-after invitations in Jamestown, R.I., a small island town (around 5,000 people and one traffic light) in Narragansett Bay. For the last 10 years, she has held a Thanksgiving leftovers potluck on the Saturday after the holiday.

**** A Moveable Fast <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/opinion/24east.html>
Elyssa East, New York Times

“It’s Thanksgiving — time to put our feedbags on,” my family likes to say as we elbow for room next to the Pilgrim and Puritan ghosts the holiday summons to our table. Our colonial forebears probably would not disapprove of our having second and third helpings of sweet potatoes and stuffing, or even rushing off to watch football after the meal — the Pilgrims themselves played lots of games at that first Thanksgiving in 1621. But I imagine they would find fault with our binge for another reason: it is not accompanied by a fast.

**** What's The Recipe? <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2009/11/23/091123crat_atlarge_gopnik?currentPage=all>
Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Our hunger for cookbooks.

**** In Italy, Eating Gets Graded <http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/in-italy-eating-gets-graded.php>
Lesley Freeman Riva, The Atlantic

The day my daughter's kindergarten teacher called me into her Italian classroom to tell me my child was failing lunch, I knew I had run up against the great continental culinary divide.

**** 27 Cases Of Adverse Reaction To H1N1 Vaccine Reported So Far <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1020303/1/.html>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

The Health Sciences Authority said on Tuesday that 27 cases of adverse reactions suspected to be associated with the use of the H1N1 vaccine have been reported so far. But "these reactions are non-serious anticipated side effects such as fever, rashes, flu-like symptoms, headaches, nausea and vomiting", said an HSA spokesperson. "These reactions are commonly expected from all flu vaccines and most of these reactions are resolved within a few days."

**** Jeyaretnam Joins PSC <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_458761.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

Senior counsel Philip Jeyaretnam, son of the late opposition leader Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam, was sworn in on Tuesday as the 11th member of the Public Service Commission (PSC).

As a member of the PSC, Mr Jeyaretnam will be involved in its task of appointing and promoting top civil servants.

**** No Need To Decriminalise Consensual Underage Sex <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_458559.html>
Leung Weiwen, Straits Times

Mr Ramasamy argues that according to political theorist John Stuart Mill, society may not enforce its moral perceptions unless its violation causes objectively perceptible harm to others, and consensual sex does not cause harm to others. I would like to point out that this principle is not universally accepted. Even if it were universally accepted, one must realise that Mill himself saw that children are an exception to his principle.

**** Where's The Fund To Replace 1,260 Lifts In Future? <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_458685.html>
Eilleen Tan, Straits Times

The town council did not reveal how much it spent on maintaining these lifts, nor give an estimate of their future replacement cost and, more importantly, how this cost will be financed.

**** 'A' Before 'D': Abilities Before Disabilities - Applies To Everyone. <http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/11/before-d-abilities-before-disabilities.html>
Ivan Chew, Rambling Librarian

So in the end, it’s about how we consciously choose to demonstrate our abilities. Some people have it easier, while others have to try harder. But we all have to.

**** Paradigm Shift In Singapore <http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=/data/opinion/2009/November/opinion_November145.xml&section=opinion>
Ramzy Baroud, Khaleej Times

The APEC Summit, although answering a few questions, certainly delineated the new paradigm shift. It was a chance for Asia to assert itself, and for others to listen. But it also presented a new set of priorities, an agenda even, one in which the environment didn’t seem to top the list. A most unfortunate conclusion, indeed.

**** Singaporeans Must Do Their Part <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/1991-singaporeans-must-do-their-part>
Singapore Democrats

Even as the opposition heaves to overcome the extraordinary odds in establishing a working democratic system in Singapore, the people must not sit back and expect it to do all the heavy lifting. Without the active involvement of Singaporeans, political change will always be something we talk about, not experience.

**** Isn't That Why We Have Mailboxes? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC091125-0000051/Isnt-that-why-we-have-mailboxes?>
Derrick Lim, Today

Flyers piling up at our doors a safety risk.

**** 'A Cashless Society Is Not A Costless One' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/Parliamentroundup/EDC091125-0000071/A-cashless-society-is-not-a-costless-one>
Today

Transport minister Raymond Lim noted: A cashless society is "not a costless one". "While the government can help to facilitate the transition to a cashless society, the decision to waive or charge a fee for cashless alternatives is a commercial one best left to individual commercial operators," said Mr Lim.

**** 附近芳林巴刹即将翻新 演说角落局部暂变巴刹 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp091125_001.shtml>
林慧慧, 联合早报

由于临时巴刹将占据直落亚逸邻里警岗后方的空地,当局将从下个月1日起,重新划定演说角落的范围,将原本大约有一个足球场大小的演说角落,缩小三分之一。到时,人们将不允许在临时巴刹内进行演说或举行示威活动。不过当局强调,临时巴刹拆除后,演说角落的空间将还原。

**** Where Have All The Talents Gone? <http://pngapore.blogspot.com/2009/11/where-have-all-talents-gone.html>
Times They Are A-Changin'

Did all the past Education Ministers agree with MM Lee's ignorance and insistence on bilingualism? If not, where were they when parents and students cried out in desperation over this policy the past 3 decades? How can the insistence of one man silent the cries of generations of parents and students?

**** 新加坡总理说中新媒体应努力彰显亚洲声音 <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.china.com.cn%2Fchinanet%2F07news%2Fchina.cgi%3Fdocid%3D1689547076730943972%2C18435621189540876985%2C13200747185934826468%2C18435621189540876985%2C0%26server%3D202.108.33.201%26port%3D6666&usg=AFQjCNERSFQPxXL733hnkyhYGsb6DuP56g>
新华网

新加坡总理李显龙23日在总统府会见来访的新华社总编辑何平时说,新中两国媒体机构需要加强合作与交流,为"亚洲声音在世界上脱颖而出"做出贡献。

**** Rail Traveller Unclear About Procedure <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/11/25/focus/5177332&sec=focus>
Raj Jamal, The Star

**** Changi Airport Extends Landing Fee Rebates To All Airlines In 2010 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1020424/1/.html>
Yasmine Yahya, Channel NewsAsia

In a move to remain competitive, Changi Airport Group said it will continue to provide across-the-board landing fee rebates to all airlines in 2010.

**** On Being Bland In The Lion City <http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/clement-tan/on-being-bland-in-the-lion-city.htm>
Clement Tan, Asian Correspondent

**** Two Year Old Dies After Tested Positive For H1N1 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1020492/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Ministry of Health (MOH) is investigating the death of a two-year-old child who tested positive for H1N1.

**** The Difference Between Red Tape And Repression <http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/the-asia-file/the-difference-between-red-tape-and.htm>
Ben Bland, Asian Correspondent

By kicking these reporters out of Singapore or forcing them out of their jobs because of its intense paranoia about the press, it is therefore the government that makes media freedom an issue, not the journalists.

**** By 2015, Born And Bred S’poreans May Be The Minority In S’pore <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/11/by-2015-born-and-bred-sporeans-may-be-the-minority-in-spore/>
Gangasudhan, The Online Citizen

**** About High Time That National Issues Are Discussed During Elections <http://kelvinteowrites.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/about-high-time-that-national-issues-are-discussed-during-elections/>
Kelvin Teo Writes

**** 父犯罪入狱 全家失永久居留权 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/wencui/2009/11/lhwb091125a.shtml>
联合晚报

男子一人犯法,连累全家人的永久居留权被取消,即使两名儿子已在本地服役,也不能留在新加坡。

**** Malaysiakini Turns 10. So Where's Singaporekini? <http://journalism.sg/2009/11/26/malaysiakini-turns-10/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

There are at least three more credible reasons why, compared with Malaysiakini, Singapore’s alternative media are still so kampung.

**** Lowering Standards Not The Answer <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_459146.html>
Tan Ying Hong, Straits Times

**** It's Easy To Blame Teachers Or System <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_459139.html>
Liew Kai Khiun, Straits Times

It is wrong to attribute personal inadequacies in learning Chinese entirely to Chinese language teachers who work diligently, particularly in predominantly English-speaking schools where Mandarin is regarded as uncool and parochial.